Weight loss registry

Options
Has anyone here joined the Weight loss registry. IF so, what is involved if one joined, and was it worth it?

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I thought you had to maintain your loss for a year before you joined and then you filled out a survey. I'm probably not going to join, but I can't wait until I have the option to!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it before.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Is it like Fight Club!?
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I thought you signed up and if you lost weight people would give you presents!

No? Too bad.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

No? Too bad.

This is what I thought! You go to your favorite stores and register for cute outfits in the size you want to be. When you get to that size, people buy the things you asked for.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean the National Weight Control Registry? Yes, I just turned in my first survey a few days ago :) First I had to fill out a basic info packet (name, address etc etc). Then a couple weeks after I mailed that in, I got an email with a link to my first annual survey. It took about 30-40 minutes to complete and asked a lot of questions about my weight loss history, my current maintenance strategies etc.

And I don't really know what you mean by was it worth it? You're not paid to participate, and it takes up a bit of your time. However, it's a simple thing I can do, that will potentially help other so I think it's pretty cool.

eta: for those who haven't heard of it-
    http://www.nwcr.ws/
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

No? Too bad.

That's actually what I thought it was when I read the title, I would gain my weight back and lose it again for free gifts.

No. No I would not.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I applied and recently got the package to read thru...am sitting on the fence about it, more so on the privacy issue than the time required for their sporadic surveys.
    I thought if I did it, it would keep me "honest" and on track...still thinking along those lines actually, just getting stuck reading all the 'fine print' at this point.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it until now.

I googled it and bookmarked it.

Looks like they periodically will send you questionnaires about how you lost weight, how your working on maintaining, etc.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Yeah same.

Do you get put into a raffle or get a gift card with $20 on it?

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

No? Too bad.

This is what I thought! You go to your favorite stores and register for cute outfits in the size you want to be. When you get to that size, people buy the things you asked for.

That would just be too awesome! Sign me up!!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Yeah same.

Do you get put into a raffle or get a gift card with $20 on it?

lol, that would be nice but nope. From the site:
    The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR), established in 1994 by
    Rena Wing, Ph.D. from Brown Medical School, and James O. Hill, Ph.D. from the University of Colorado, is the largest prospective investigation of long-term successful weight loss maintenance. Given the prevailing belief that few individuals succeed at long-term weight loss, the NWCR was developed to identify and investigate the characteristics of individuals who have succeeded at long-term weight loss. The NWCR is tracking over 10,000 individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off for long periods of time. Detailed questionnaires and annual follow-up surveys are used to examine the behavioral and psychological characteristics of weight maintainers, as well as the strategies they use to maintaining their weight losses.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »

No? Too bad.

That's actually what I thought it was when I read the title, I would gain my weight back and lose it again for free gifts.

No. No I would not.
    I thought people would bring me free food... no? Bummer. :(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

No? Too bad.

I like presents!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »
    Is it like Fight Club!?

How would you know?