Face breaking out like crazy

Options
riss526
riss526 Posts: 36 Member
I've never had acne of any kind or anything more than just a stress or period induced zit here and there my whole life. It seems like the last few weeks since I've actually changed my diet from eating very unhealthy and large portions and started exercising regularly, that my face has been popping up with a new zit almost every day. And they take forever to go away. (I'm not a zit popper) I've tried changing my normal soap that I've never had issues with to a fragrance free dial bar soap in hopes of drying up excess oil and I wash my face with that and clean and clear face wash usually twice a day. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• FreshStartForMyself
    FreshStartForMyself Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I read somewhere that when you start eating healthier food your skin breaks out because your body is eliminating toxins. If that's true it may take a few weeks but it'll go away.

I suggest you wash your face twice a day with a neutral pH soap. You can also try warming your face with water and applying a mix of honey and cinnamon for a couple minutes, then washing your face with warm water. It works wonders for me.

Also drink plenty of water, it really helps!

Good luck :)
  • riss526
    Options
    Thank you! I was wondering if it had something to do with my changed diet because I probably have about 7 or 8 blemishes right now which is usually what I get a year! I will make sure to keep washing my face twice a day and try that soap you mentioned.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I always ask this when I see this type of thread, so please don't think I'm reading too much into your post.

You're not on Hydroxycut or a similar weightloss supplement, are you? Those things will affect complexion in a major way. I broke out like a plague victim during the two weeks I was on that stuff (without having changed my diet or exercise plan. I was foolishly looking for a "boost" to what was already looking).

If you are, try going off of it for a couple of weeks, at least, and see if that clears you up.
  • riss526
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I always ask this when I see this type of thread, so please don't think I'm reading too much into your post.

You're not on Hydroxycut or a similar weightloss supplement, are you? Those things will affect complexion in a major way. I broke out like a plague victim during the two weeks I was on that stuff (without having changed my diet or exercise plan. I was foolishly looking for a "boost" to what was already looking).

If you are, try going off of it for a couple of weeks, at least, and see if that clears you up.

Nope, I'm not taking any kind of supplement. I just completely changed my diet from eating extremely unhealthy food (a lot of fast food & restaurant food) to eating much healthier foods and smaller portions, and I've been exercising about 5-6 times a week. I've been really lucky and now at 25, have never had any issues with my face. As I mentioned in my original post, sometimes I would get a stressed or period induced zit, but that was it. So it's just frustrating and out of the norm for me to have this many zits on my face all at the same time. I didn't start breaking out progressively until I changed my diet and starting my exercise regimen.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    it is common for some women to start having acne in their 20s
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
  • riss526
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »

I know that but the timing directly correlates with when I changed my diet. I don't think it's just random mid-20's acne. I think it has to do with my change in diet.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Make sure you aren't drying out your face by over-washing it now. And don't scrub hard. That can actually worsen acne or cause it in itself. As a lifelong acne sufferer right at the cusp of 50 I speak from experience. If you normally use a facial moisturizer continue to use it, as long as it's non-comedogenic (pore clogging). If you aren't sure yours is, it might be worth spending a few dollars to buy a small bottle of lotion specifically made to help with acne at the local drug or department store.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I never ever got acne, but realized when I starting increasing healthy foods and fruits and vegetables in abundance and then consumed a lot of tomatoes (sliced with breakfast, on a sandwich, in a salad or had tomato sauce) I get a break out or two immediately. It's an acidic vegetable that reacts that way to me. I can't see your diary, but maybe something is triggering it like that. I usually use clearasil & clean my face extra well & use toner & then cut back on the tomatoes (just love them-could eat it like an apple) & beautiful skin again!! :)
  • Ili_g
    Ili_g Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I see here that you are working out 5-6 times a week. Make sure you are removing makeup and washing face when you do :smiley: I know when I don't wash my face right after I break out the next day. Also, try using ivory soap. Really works for me. No added fragrances or anything. I have combination skin and it doesnt make my face oily/dry.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    your pores are probably clogged and the sweating from working out is making it worse. i have acne and i use acne.org products. they work amazingly. try using a scrub that has Salicylic Acid in it to unclog the pores. or if you have those red bumps try using something with benzoyl peroxide to kill the bacteria
  • riss526
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think it really is just the change in my diet and the exercise. As the above poster mentioned, a lot of it is probably clogged pores from the sweating during my new regimen of working out regularly. It's funny though the left is side of my face broke out around my chin and cheeks first with 4 or 5 zits and now that those are healing, the right side of my face is breaking out in almost identical spots. But, I've been making sure to wash all my make-up off my face after work really well and then wash my face again after I work out!
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Try washing your face with baking soda instead of soap-based cleansers. It's a mild exfoliant, has antiseptic properties and is 100% natural and biodegradeable. For me it eliminated monthly breakouts and also improved occasional rosacea.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I started breaking out like a teenager when I quit smoking. Coconut oil after my shower completely stopped it and I don't even get a small zit, not even during "that" time of the month, which was another trigger and I would break out bad about a week before.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    It will clear up soon enough! Give it some time and make sure you are drinking tons of water to wash out all the toxins from your body. Cetaphil is a great, gentle face wash that won't dry your skin out too much.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    michellesz wrote: »
    I never ever got acne, but realized when I starting increasing healthy foods and fruits and vegetables in abundance and then consumed a lot of tomatoes (sliced with breakfast, on a sandwich, in a salad or had tomato sauce) I get a break out or two immediately. It's an acidic vegetable that reacts that way to me. I can't see your diary, but maybe something is triggering it like that. I usually use clearasil & clean my face extra well & use toner & then cut back on the tomatoes (just love them-could eat it like an apple) & beautiful skin again!! :)

That might be a histamine reaction to the histamine in tomatoes.
  • sashley92
    sashley92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    riss526 wrote: »
    I've never had acne of any kind or anything more than just a stress or period induced zit here and there my whole life. It seems like the last few weeks since I've actually changed my diet from eating very unhealthy and large portions and started exercising regularly, that my face has been popping up with a new zit almost every day. And they take forever to go away. (I'm not a zit popper) I've tried changing my normal soap that I've never had issues with to a fragrance free dial bar soap in hopes of drying up excess oil and I wash my face with that and clean and clear face wash usually twice a day. Anyone have any ideas?

I had something similar happen to me; I never had acne until I started eating extremely healthy. It took me a long time of trying topical treatments (like proactive-- awful product) until I started looking at my diet. It ended up being greek yogurt for me. Once I cut that out and back on most dairy products, I immediately started to clear up. Unfortunately it took me most of this year, but now other than some scarring, I'm mostly back to normal.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I was overprescribed antibiotics (misdiagnosis). That led to minor injury. Was recovering and healing. Then wrongly prescribed mirvaso by dermatologist. Caused severe injury to the nerves and blood vessels. And I started breaking out. I had clear, beautiful, healthy skin and had always been healthy, wore sunscreen, cared for my skin. Still trying to recover from all of this. Seems the inflammation initially caused the break out. Plus the med caused hypersensitivity. But, the med also caused severe food intolerance and when I lie down the pain increases. So, I think it's partly caused by rapid diet change, rapid and too much weight loss (underweight now), sleep deprivation, and severe stress (it's been traumatic dealing with the severe and chronic nerve pain that was so wrongly inflicted by a doctor).
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I changed diets I noticed a change in complexion and hair quality. Have you been monitoring your nutrients such as vitamin intake? Has your fat and protein to carb ratio changed?
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    After workouts, be sure to wash your face and dry with a clean towel. Using a dirty towel can spread bacteria. Sometimes wiping sweat off of the face or using the same towel over and over can introduce bacteria to the skin and contribute to breakouts.