Breastfeeding and counting calories

mistycal80
mistycal80 Posts: 1 Member
ive heard if I don't eat enough it can affect my milk production. But at the same time eating too much is causing the baby weight to hold on tightly. So do I follow the calories allowed on this app? Is there an option for it to make exceptions for breastfeeding? Should I add on a few extra calories? I want to lose weight but feeding my baby is obviously more important.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    If you use the website, you can log breastfeeding under the food diary and it will give you a negative calorie entry (so it raises your calorie goal). It doesn't work on the iPhone app, not sure about the rest.
    Since I use iPhone, I set my calorie goal to maintainance and let the breastfeeding create a deficit (I logged exercise and ate at least a portion of them back). When we started solids, I changed to 1/2lbs a week (so 250 less).

The general guideline is 300-500 calories for breastfeeding. The higher end for exclusively breastfeeding, the lower for those who may be on solids.

Also keep in mind it is not recommended to cut calories until your milk supply is established 2-3 months in.
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    The important thing is to stay hydrated while breast feeding and eat high quality calories.