When to check your weight

Options
Do you check your weight at morning or night? If morning is that before you eat breakfast or after? I checked my weight this after and I was 126lb then I had a egg white sandwich on whole wheat bagel with 2 cups of water and checked it 20 mins after and went up to 128lb.... When to check your weight to get a accurate weight?

Replies

• 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters when as long as you're consistent. I like checking first thing in the morning because you haven't consumed anything that will skew the number. That's just me and I'm sure that there are plenty of reasons why other people don't do it this way. Just personal preference.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Weigh first thing of a morning, after you've gone to the toilet but before you've eaten.

If you weigh of an evening, or after breakfast, you'll still have food in your stomach, which will make the readings a little more inconsistent
  • Sher0712
    Sher0712 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters when as long as you're consistent. I like checking first thing in the morning because you haven't consumed anything that will skew the number. That's just me and I'm sure that there are plenty of reasons why other people don't do it this way. Just personal preference.

So should I update my weight to 126 instead of keeping it at 128? Every week I check and update my weight but was confused to when to wright myself
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sher0712 wrote: »
    So should I update my weight to 126 instead of keeping it at 128? Every week I check and update my weight but was confused to when to wright myself

I think that would be more accurate as you're not adding the actual weight of the food you consumed.
  • Sher0712
    Options
    Sher0712 wrote: »

I think that would be more accurate as you're not adding the actual weight of the food you consumed.

Thank you so much
  • Sher0712
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »
    Weigh first thing of a morning, after you've gone to the toilet but before you've eaten.

If you weigh of an evening, or after breakfast, you'll still have food in your stomach, which will make the readings a little more inconsistent

Ok thank u
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I always do it in the morning, before I eat anything. As far as when to record/update your weight on here, I would suggest more than once a week. If you weigh yourself multiple times a day and record every weight on here, you're really only recording the random fluctuations your body is going to go through every day. I weigh myself once a week but record on here once a month.
  • Sher0712
    Options
    I always do it in the morning, before I eat anything. As far as when to record/update your weight on here, I would suggest more than once a week. If you weigh yourself multiple times a day and record every weight on here, you're really only recording the random fluctuations your body is going to go through every day. I weigh myself once a week but record on here once a month.

Thanks and I weight myself once a week and record it once a week cause the weight loss promotes me to continue and I will weight in the morning from now on and use the morning weight for my record
  • silaspc
    silaspc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whilst it's nice to be able to focus on a number and say I am 300g lighter than this time last week, or whatever, what's really important is to have an overall trend towards your goal over a number of weeks.

I weigh in twice a week, usually, and always at the same time of day, before having breakfast, to keep it as consistent as possible. I find that my scales, depending on where you step, the moon phase, and the position of Mars in relation to Saturn can be sometimes 400g up or down, so I usually weigh 3 times and figure an average.

Sometimes if I have had a weekend where I haven't eaten as carefully as I usually like to I can weigh in on a Monday and be 3kg heavier! This is literally impossible, I would have had to consume 37,000 kJ over my maintenance to put on even 1 kg. For various reasons my body is holding on to water weight and I just don't worry about it.

Focus on the overall trend, not the individual data points on your graph.

:)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    As long as you're consistent. For many people, that's in the morning, right after the obligatory visit to the Porcelain Goddess.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    first thing in the morning, when you wake up, after using the bathroom, before eating or drinking and nekkid

it's the easiest way to avoid variable scale weight of factors like food / fluid ingested and clothes

also it's when you're lightest
  • WeoooBeans
    WeoooBeans Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Usually I check my weight first thing in the morning after I use the potty. At the moment though, I can only weigh myself at the end of the day, but pretty soon I will be back to weighing myself in the morning.