Blood type diet

Hi everybody. Just started to follow this type of diet. It's not nice due to the fact that I'm avoiding most of my favourite stuff, but I must say I lost almost a kilogram in the first week. Anybody else following it for a while? Is it worth it????

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    Is it something sustainable for you in the long run?
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Firstly, welcome to the forums. Expect lots of tough love, sometimes with a little less love. People love to be blunt, but it's (usually) said with the best of intentions.

So secondly, I'll be blunt: A blood type diet will not make you lose weight. It's a load of codswallop. Just like how people judge personality by blood type, or date people with certain compatibility by blood type, it's all woo. Another example would be like saying "I have red hair, so I better not eat meat. Those brunettes have all the luck, and those blondes get to have all that cake!".

Honestly, it'll be hard (not impossible, but hard), to follow a diet where you're avoiding 'most of your favourite stuff' for the long run. Rarely will a diet last if you're not eating with your eyes & tongue (ie: your favourite foods). I suggest taking a read of the following threads:

So you're new here...

Step by step guide to losing weight with MyFitnessPal

A guide to get you started on your path to Sexypants.

And in case you start reading random posts on the forums: Acronyms and Terms for New MFP Members v. 6
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    If had to give up my favorite foods I'd be a miserable B all day long. Like insufferable and my husband would tell me to STFU and go get a burger and ice cream. Seriously, when you describe it as "not nice" that should be a clue that it may not be something you want to do forever.

This is a good post to read and then decide if you want to continue on the diet plan you're following now or not..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss.
    The food plan is probably working for you because you are preparing more food at home and eating smaller portions.

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss.
    The food plan is probably working for you because you are preparing more food at home and eating smaller portions.

^Also this on both points

I came back to add in this point, but you got to it first ^_^
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Welcome! I didn't try this particular eating plan, but I did try other plans that involved completely cutting some of my favorite food and it just wasn't sustainable!

To loose weight you only need a calorie deficit.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Your blood type has no bearing on your nutrition it's just woo http://www.skepdic.com/bloodtypediet.html Just eat normal food you like at a calorie deficit.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I'd suggest, give it a go and see if you can live with it for a month. If you can, and it works for you, then great! If not, just try another way of eating which is more sustainable and still fits your calorie/macro targets.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    As the others have said, following a diet specifically because of your blood type is a bunch of woo. It has as much science behind it as it would be creating your diet around your zodiacal sign or hair color.

That said, if you are enjoying the types of food you're eating, you're meeting your macro and micro nutrient needs, and you're able to better control your portions, then there's probably nothing harmful about it.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I couldn't get behind the blood type diet. I figured being rhesus factor positive would mean I'd get to eat all the rhesus pieces I wanted, but no.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    I couldn't get behind the blood type diet. I figured being rhesus factor positive would mean I'd get to eat all the rhesus pieces I wanted, but no.

well-played-sir-well-played-indeed.jpg
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    ... but I must say I lost almost a kilogram in the first week.

Is that meaningful to you?
    1 kilo = 1 liter of water. I can drink that in 10 minutes.

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Any diet that doesn't include the foods I love is not for me.
  • christonel0203
    christonel0203 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    Thank you all who took the time to repIy. I am going to give it a go for a month like suggested to find out the truth for myself. That is the only way to get peace of mind regarding this diet.

Ps: And andrikosDE to change your diet for a week and seeing that my weight has changed for the first time in months is amazing and meaningful to me. I asked for advice, please keep your sarcasm to yourself or keep quiet.

Blessings to all and good luck with whatever goal you are busy with.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    Hi everybody. Just started to follow this type of diet. It's not nice due to the fact that I'm avoiding most of my favourite stuff, but I must say I lost almost a kilogram in the first week. Anybody else following it for a while? Is it worth it????
    No because the blood type diet is not based in fact or reality. Don't waste your time.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I'm B+. That's why sarcasm caused weight gain for me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I must be already following this... the blood type O is high protein and other yummy stuff I already eat..
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Complete and utter BS.
  • dubb202020
    dubb202020 Posts: 6 Member
    Give it a go.. I been on it for a week and already feel the difference in weight loss and other areas
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member

Ps: And andrikosDE to change your diet for a week and seeing that my weight has changed for the first time in months is amazing and meaningful to me. I asked for advice, please keep your sarcasm to yourself or keep quiet.

Sarcasm?
    It was an honest question.
    As an engineer who deals in pragmatic figures for a living, looking at a 1kg "weight loss" over a week is certainly not meaningful. Your weight can easily fluctuate during the day by 1-2kg...
    If you have any basic statistics training I'm sure you'll understand this.