Vegan, Gluten Free, Organic, and Ethcial...

Options
Hello MFP Friends!

So I've been on a vegan diet for the past few months and have recently gone gluten free and try to buy organic and local when possible. I also avoid anything with "science" in it. You know...those ingredients that can only be made in a lab with chemicals not always found on your supermarket shelves.

My question is....is there anyone out there who is conscientious of what they're eating. Please comment if you buy foods based on one, all, or any combination of vegan, gluten free, organic, and ethical.

Also, if any of this ever has intimidated you, or you felt like you wanted to try it but didn't think you had it in you, please respond! Changing your eating habits never has to be about sacrifice, it has everything to do with substitutions and finding different replacements that are better for your health and the environment too!

There are a lot of us out there who are on a mission to help ourselves and each other eat better, feel better, and live better.

Please share your ideas and experiences on this topic!!

Gracias!

~Nikki~

Replies

• Naokoheart
    Naokoheart Posts: 161
    Options
    I try to buy organic fruit and veg in any way I can,I tried fairtrade grapes once,
    they were lovely!
    I just bought organic oats the other day,its hard to explain but they have a somewhat earthy taste. :)
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 15 years, and tried being vegan for 11 months....then suddenly eggplant parm took me down. LOL!! I started eating meat again 2 years ago following a miscarraige...I was craving steak (Iron deficiency I'm sure) and just decided I was done with the vegetarian thing. My veggie friends stuck their noses up at me, but now they, too, all eat some sort of meat.

I give props to those who choose this lifestyle, but decided, ultimately, it wasn't for me.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I'm not strict about it, but I do what I can. For example, I grow (and share!) my own veggies in the summer, but all bets are off in the winter. My local store doesn't carry much organics so I do the best I can depending on where I'm shopping and my budget that month.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hi Nikki:

I generally don't do vegan, but I try to go as local, organic or ethical whenever it is possible. Basically when I grocery shop I try to stay on the "outside" aisles of the store- fresh fruits, veggies, meats, etc and avoid pre-packaged, processed stuff. I buy those little snak ziploc baggies, wash all of my fruit & veggies when I get home from the store and dole them out into snack sized/single sized portions. Much cheaper and healthier for you than the "100 calorie" snacks!

Whole Foods (in my area) rocks- has great fresh, sustainable fish!

Nina
  • irishpagan
    irishpagan Posts: 30
    Options
    I have been off and on with vegetarian, vegan and free-gan (eating meat an other animal products only when I don't have to buy them. I used to work in a corporate pizza place and shamelessly stole food all the time.) Recently I've felt so torn in different directions I emailed my best friend about it:

I've been evaluating my eating habits and am trying to figure out what I really want to do.
    Do I want to boycott factory farming and animal testing by buying free-range and eating free? Do I want to go vegetarian and still eat cheese and eggs? Or do I want to go full on vegan?
    Now every time I eat meat I feel so guilty, not because I'm eating a dead animal that was tortured and died horribly but because I feel like I'm cheating. Like I have to prove myself to other people. A lot of the way I eat has to do with my desire to lose weight and be healthy, and I have noticed drastic changes for the good in my health. I rarely get sick, my allergies are almost non-existant, my digestion has improved and I feel better about myself.
    The truth is, when I eat meat its because sometimes I just don't care. I feel like I'm not making a difference from abstaining so why bother?
    Its been really frustrating me lately because I don't know where to set the guidelines from myself. I feel like I have to be so black and white about it even though no one else is and thats ok. I eat meat so I'm obviously not a vegetarian. And my veggie and rice cheese contains casein so I'm obviously not vegan. Eating something's unborn fetuses is pretty f'n disgusting, but eggs are delicious.
    Help! I don't know what to do.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I have a question...asked in the most respectful manner...

why would honey be considered a non-vegan choice? It doesn't seem to make sense because the bees aren't harmed (or probably even aware of) our use of their surplus honey. I was really surprised by hearing this the other day (I was in a vegan/raw/organic restaurant and I was asking about sweeteners used in their desserts)
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    the less ingredients on the item the better. i'm fortunate to have whole foods and farmers markets here in tx. also grow my own mixed greens in a window box and have 2 topsy turvy strawberry plants going. helps to have the occasional luxury of grow your own.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I cannot speak to going vegan, but I can speak to some other choices we've made....

The only meat we buy in a store, is chicken and turkey cutlets, lunchmeat for my husband. We buy 1/2 pig from a neighbor who is very conscientious about what she feeds her animals, we fish for trout, we hunt elk and deer. We have a lovely flock of chickens who provide as entertainment as well as eggs. We have plans for a garden for veggies next spring. I also appreciate the farmer's market every Saturday. I can my own fruit and make my own jams so we have some home-made goodness during the winter months.
  • irishpagan
    Options
    Actually bees are harmed in the honey gathering process. From How It All Vegan cookbook:

"Bee Products- Produced by bees for their own use. Bees are selectivly bred. Culled bees are killed. A cheap sugar is substitued for their stolen honey. Millions die as a result. Their legs are often torn off by pollen-collection trapdoors."

Since vegans don't use any type of animal product or anything that causes harm to animals, ie animal testing, many don't use honey and instead use stevia or agave nectar. However, it is possible to harvest honey with no damage to the bees so if you do use it, go local. Some vegans decide to use honey. I know I could never give it up.
  • irishpagan
    Options
    I cannot speak to going vegan, but I can speak to some other choices we've made....

The only meat we buy in a store, is chicken and turkey cutlets, lunchmeat for my husband. We buy 1/2 pig from a neighbor who is very conscientious about what she feeds her animals, we fish for trout, we hunt elk and deer. We have a lovely flock of chickens who provide as entertainment as well as eggs. We have plans for a garden for veggies next spring. I also appreciate the farmer's market every Saturday. I can my own fruit and make my own jams so we have some home-made goodness during the winter months.
    I am so jealous of you.
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm eating about 90% organic now, removing the things that aren't organic out of my diet. There are also many not-certified-as-organic farms locally that I buy from, but they are sustainable (and basically organic, just don't have the "organic" label from the USDA).

Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are great resources (and I shop for food there for the majority of my food), but nothing beats a local farmers market or local farms.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Hi,

I do vegan and gluten free. I also buy organic whenever possible. I try to buy fair trade items whenever possible, I don't shop at walmart, and I try to buy local in season whenever possible.
    I'm not very strict with it at the moment, but I'm slowly increasing the amount of effort I put into it and teaching my 10 year old along the way. Sometimes I buy non-organic, regular produce annd other things because of finanncial reasons, but for the most part I'm organic.
    I do buy some packeaged things like brown rice cakes, and gluten free pastas, even some snacks here and there. But as I get more and more into it, those things are diminishing.... But brown rice cakes with sunbutter and a dollup of jam, goooooood!

Another thing I am slowly switching is my household items. My cleaning products are getting used up and replaced with eco friendly or homemade things. I buy recycled toilet paper and paper towels. I don't throw things away, I donate or sell them. I recycle, thankfully we have curbside recycling for most things.

I am enjoying this type of lifestyle. I feel more connected to the Universe, if that doesn't sound too corny. I have more compassion for animals. I view nature differently to, I don't freak out about spiders anymore. Not to mention my sense of taste and smell has increased quite a bit. I'm also more aware of my body. Does anyone else notice these types of things as well?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Actually bees are harmed in the honey gathering process. From How It All Vegan cookbook:

"Bee Products- Produced by bees for their own use. Bees are selectivly bred. Culled bees are killed. A cheap sugar is substitued for their stolen honey. Millions die as a result. Their legs are often torn off by pollen-collection trapdoors."

Since vegans don't use any type of animal product or anything that causes harm to animals, ie animal testing, many don't use honey and instead use stevia or agave nectar. However, it is possible to harvest honey with no damage to the bees so if you do use it, go local. Some vegans decide to use honey. I know I could never give it up.

So my curiosity was sparked and I spent a few minutes googling...apparently this honey thing is a hot topic in the vegan world...who knew? I was surprised at the quote you shared because I know a beekeeper, and none of those descriptions fit, she doesn't breed or kill any of her treasured bees, nor does she substitute anything for the honey she collects. She leaves some for the bees and their babies, and she uses the rest. I don't know anything about "trapdoors". Interesting to read some of the threads on "vegworld." Folks get really passionate about it...

Cheers!
    :flowerforyou:
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options

So my curiosity was sparked and I spent a few minutes googling...apparently this honey thing is a hot topic in the vegan world...who knew? I was surprised at the quote you shared because I know a beekeeper, and none of those descriptions fit, she doesn't breed or kill any of her treasured bees, nor does she substitute anything for the honey she collects. She leaves some for the bees and their babies, and she uses the rest. I don't know anything about "trapdoors". Interesting to read some of the threads on "vegworld." Folks get really passionate about it...

Cheers!

I do believe that there are beekeepers out there who are ethical. I think its like any other animal product. There are local farmers who treat there animals very well and allow you to see for yourself. But for the most part, those aren't the meats, eggs or milk that you find in the grocery store. Same with honey. If you do eat animal products, in my opinion, its best to seek out these farmers and support them. I don't use honey anymore, but I probably would if i knew where it was coming from.
  • Aurora22
    Aurora22 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't think there were many people who focused on local organic food on this site. I have found that it is pretty difficult to log my calories since the system is really set up for packaged foods.
    I was an ovolactovegetarian after visiting an 'eco' hog farm while living in Costa Rica 9ya. They were showing off their 'best practices' and it was so horrible that I realized conventional would be even worse and have not eaten pork or beef since. I was able to stay veggie through my pregnancy, but the nursing sent me to the store needing ethical poultry and fish. I am fortunate enough to live near Berkeley, Ca so we are able to get almost everything organic, free range, or wild-caught. It is a bit expensive, but I feel like we are paying closer to the real cost of food production. I really like the responsible fisheries guides that you can find on the Monterrey Bay Aquarium website. We raise our own chickens and trade eggs with our neighbors for home-made honey, jams, and beer. Love living this way.
    btw, why are you asking?
  • sirenn9
    sirenn9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 11 years and vegan for about 6 years. The last year I was vegan I went gluten-free as well. All I can say is be careful, and make sure you are taking supplements. After a few months of being gluten-free in addition to vegan, I began to feel very weak and losing massive amounts of hair. My friends and family were very concerned about me and convinced me to seek medical help. As soon as I went to the doctor, they told me that they suspected that my diet was the cause of my problem. I was very stubborn and stuck in my ways, and chose to continue eating gluten-free/vegan. However, as I continued to lose hair on a disturbing scale, I decided to go in for testing. I got tested for everything, including hormonal imbalances, anemia and a lot of other things and everything came out fine. My doctor suggested I incorporate egg whites and fish into my diet. Within a few days, my hair loss suddenly came to a stop, I lost the few extra pounds I had been carrying AND to top it off, I felt fantastic.

My diet now is gluten-free and pretty much dairy free (I was vegan up until November 2009). I try to avoid processed meats, stay away from sugar and eat mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. However, I found that veganism was just not working for me. I feel a lot better now and interestingly enough, I look better too!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I am not Vegetarian or Vegan...........

However, I do try and buy as much organic and Ethical as I can.

Last fall we got Bison from a free grazing farm. They are raised in a wide open pasture to roam as they please and eat at their leisure.

This fall we are getting a side of Pork and beef from a family farm, which also raises in an ethical manner.

I joined and get shares from a local CSA and help my sister with her garden, so I am getting the local produce that is grown from our own hands............

I also get chicken and eggs and raw dairy from the same family farm that we are getting the side of Pork and beef. (the family farm is actually my sister's inlaws........).

We buy local honey from a different local farmer.

I make jam for my husband with local fruit (peaches, strawberries, blackberries) so he will have it all winter. Last year I made my own tomato sauce, ketchup and salsa from tomatos and fresh veggies we had gotten given to us.

This summer I am adding pickles to my list of canning.
  • irishpagan
    Options

Cheers!

I do believe that there are beekeepers out there who are ethical. I think its like any other animal product. There are local farmers who treat there animals very well and allow you to see for yourself. But for the most part, those aren't the meats, eggs or milk that you find in the grocery store. Same with honey. If you do eat animal products, in my opinion, its best to seek out these farmers and support them. I don't use honey anymore, but I probably would if i knew where it was coming from.

Forgive me if it sounded like all people who keep bees kill them etc, that is not what I meant at all. I myself use honey and my inlaws are beekeepers. They take very good care of their bees and are doing all they can to restabalize the honey bee population. The only honey I get is from them (partially because they might never speak to me again if I got it from somewhere else lol) Its mostly the big corporations that do things like every big money-maker: as cheaply and quickly as possible. Thats why I suggested buying local, because more than not they are independant keepers and take pride in what they do.
  • nicolebarr03
    Options
    You said that one thing that you want is a "clean body". Let's focus on that. What is it to be clean? I say that the closer you can get to eating out of the earth, the cleaner and healthier your body would be. If a cow was born and ate from the earth and died, you essentially are eating a part of the earth (as weird as that sounds). But a cow eating corn that was grown from pesticides, processed and injected with chemicals and fillers to beef up the cow, and then subjected to a life of unhappiness and pain...that is what you are eating.

Or....say that you didn't care about animal rights or the big meat industries, or ethical farming practices. Let's say that you are as selfish as can be and all you care about it what you put in your body no matter how it got there. Well if this was the case, then you would have to find out where it came from so you knew what it contained to determine if this was a good choice for your body. It all goes back to the same issue. This is the circle of life...it's just different now because the big food industries. The CEOs all the way down to their consumers have way too much power in the way the earth is cultivated. It's not natural for the earth and it's not natural for our bodies.

Happy animals and plants eating healthy (and real) food lead to healthy food choices and better digestion for yourself. You also feel good knowing where your food came from. You feel more connected to the earth.

The first question to concentrate on is what makes your body feel good...what gives you energy and makes you happy and thankful after you consumed it. Focus on those details first and then you can get into ethics and substitutions if you wanted a more organic and sustainable approach.

Why don't we all care about this? How many people do you know after eating a heavy meat or starchy processed food dinner say "hey let's go for a run at the park and play Frisbee with the dog"? Or do you hear "ughhhh I ate too much" or "food coma" or "i'm tired". Then take a fresh meal with local fruits and veggies...1,) the person is so happy they were able to make a healthy meal that they are already happier because they are proud of themselves, 2.) it tastes so good and they wish they could eat healthier all the time 3.) they say at the end "oh that was delicious! I feel great :)

If you want, you can have that all the time! I understand your frustration with all the ethical questions, but I would try to focus on the stuff you really enjoy eating that makes you feel good, and look for an ethical approach to getting those items.

And about the free-gan part.....I found this particularly interesting because I am the QUEEN of free and thrift. I try to look for everything used before I buy it new, I LOVE potlucks, any event with appetizers and of course free dinner. I'm kind of notorious around my friends for always getting stuff for free. :) However, even though the cheese, meat and bread looks delicious, it's already paid for, and might go in the trash anyway...I still don't eat it. Seriously, my body feels like crap immediately after. It just doesn't digest nearly as nicely as fruits, veggies, grains, nuts, and rice.

Once I got the hang of substitutions it got to be easy: almond milk for milk, agave nectar for sugar, nuts for my junk food craving, fresh juice for my sugary craving, and the pride in all the fun meals I make knowing that they are vegan, gluten free, and delicious too!

I don't ever want to turn into a food snob and although I have my weird food quirks, so does everyone else. The only thing that I wish upon everyone to think about is : What makes YOUR body feel good? I mean really really on top of the world good and Where does your food come from and what did it (plant or animal) eat before it got there?
  • Kelsea1218
    Options
    Just an FYI- I'm a vegetarian and people often comment on the fact that I eat food containing eggs which they assume are a chicken's fetus and therefor I am not a vegetarian. This is untrue. Eggs are not unborn chickens. If they were to be fertilized they would be considered some sort of a fetus, but in reality-an egg is actually a chickens period-so to speak.