Chest Routines without a bench

Options
Hey guys and gals,

I am trying to incorporate more chest exercises into my routine. I did P90X, I am doing Insanity, (I did them in my tiny little apartment, I have no gym membership) but I feel like I just am not getting a great chest workout. Part of my problem is that I love weights, and I totally get the most benefit from using them. Push-ups are fine and all, but I don't feel like they give me that burn to really build chest muscles like I am looking for. Does anyone have any tips for some good weighted chest exercises I can do without a bench?

EDIT: In my apartment I have bands as well as a pair of adjustable dumbbells. Some 5lb plates, 10lb plates, and 25lb plates.

Thanks!

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Check this out: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/1/muscle/chest

Once you the page opens up, filter it by the equipment you have available and see what's left. You may be able to substitute a couch/bed for some exercises like dumbbell chest press?

I know you poo-poo'd push-ups, but there are a lot of variations out there that you can do that will make your chest burn. I've recently incorporated plyometric push-ups tabata style. That gave me a burn that I hadn't ever felt before from push-ups.

Good luck!
  • dfurton83
    dfurton83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I never use a bench for chest presses, my trainer at the gym had me do them on a body ball. It takes up very little space because you can inflate and deflate it when not in use and store it in a closet or under a bed. They are reasonably cheap you can get them at basically any store like Kmart, Target, Meijer or the dreaded Walmart. You can also use it work multiple parts of your body.

Lately I have been looking at everything I see as how I can incorporate it into my workout at home without having to buy loads of equipment. I used my mom's coffee table and a stack of books to do dips while watching my little sis's twin boys (a workout in itself).

My trainer also turned me on to tabata, it kicks my butt. However, I love the results.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Dips with chairs.

bar_dips_with_chair.jpg
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I was in High School I used to put a 25 pound plate in my book bag, put it on my back as tight as I could, and do push-ups using some push-up bars. You can go a little deeper using the bars, and the extra weight made it harder.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Weighted Push-Ups.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Dips with chairs.

bar_dips_with_chair.jpg

That's a tricep exercise
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I never use a bench for chest presses, my trainer at the gym had me do them on a body ball. It takes up very little space because you can inflate and deflate it when not in use and store it in a closet or under a bed. They are reasonably cheap you can get them at basically any store like Kmart, Target, Meijer or the dreaded Walmart. You can also use it work multiple parts of your body.

Lately I have been looking at everything I see as how I can incorporate it into my workout at home without having to buy loads of equipment. I used my mom's coffee table and a stack of books to do dips while watching my little sis's twin boys (a workout in itself).

My trainer also turned me on to tabata, it kicks my butt. However, I love the results.

For the kinds of weights that a guy would be able to move in a bench press, a Swiss ball will not work. I cannot imagine getting in the supine position on a Swiss ball while simultaneously getting the dumbbells in position for the lift without using my legs. If you are lifting heavy, which you need to to build strength in large muscles such as the pecs, Swiss balls are not appropriate.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    http://imgur.com/GiiAegB

or

Pushups - 5 sets of 15
    Decline Pushups - 3 sets of 10
    Dips - 3 sets of 10

Pushups actually build a great chest but u gotta do slow controlled reps
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Ah, OP, I do have a constructive suggestion. Do you have any monkey bars/pull-up bars in the neighborhood? If you do, you're pretty much going to be all set with a Bar-Barian routine (all bodyweight stuff, and these guys are totally jacked):

http://bar-barians.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barbarians2k
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Dips with chairs.

bar_dips_with_chair.jpg

That's a tricep exercise

Are you referring to the image or dips in general? If the image, I was illustrating how to use the chairs. If dips in general, angle your torso to emphasize chest (torso angled forward) or triceps (torso kept as straight as possible). Both can be done with chair dips.
  • bumblebums
    Options

Yowza! That would probably work, too :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Dips with chairs.

bar_dips_with_chair.jpg

That's a tricep exercise
    Dips hit my pecs much more than my triceps
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Dips with chairs.

bar_dips_with_chair.jpg

That's a tricep exercise
    Dips hit my pecs much more than my triceps

Not me. It will start hurting my shoulders though.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Dips with chairs.

bar_dips_with_chair.jpg

That's a tricep exercise

Are you referring to the image or dips in general? If the image, I was illustrating how to use the chairs. If dips in general, angle your torso to emphasize chest (torso angled forward) or triceps (torso kept as straight as possible). Both can be done with chair dips.

I see your point and agree. In that pic, he's working the triceps. Since when I do mine, I'm holding a dumbbell in between my feet for more resistance, it pulls me vertical.
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Really enjoying elevated push ups with the swivel devices for hand position. My feet are on a six inch step. I started at 2 sets of eight. Doing 3 sets of 16 only three months later. GREAT Pec workout.

Shoulder surgery ended 45 years of heavy Bench Pressing.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    one handed pushups

pushups with one hand on a basketball.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Dips with chairs.

bar_dips_with_chair.jpg

That's a tricep exercise

I see your point and agree. In that pic, he's working the triceps. Since when I do mine, I'm holding a dumbbell in between my feet for more resistance, it pulls me vertical.

Do them with chains draped over your neck instead, that will pull you forward and hit your chest better
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Dips with chairs.

bar_dips_with_chair.jpg

That's a tricep exercise

Do them with chains draped over your neck instead, that will pull you forward and hit your chest better

I never really thought about dips as an effective check exercise. Seems to me to be an incline push up variation. I really don't have chains at my gym. It's a Y, not a hardcore work out place. And I'm not lugging chains to/from the Y. haha

I suppose I could invest in a weight belt and hang that over my neck with weight