Starving at night

Options
About 50% of the time I get really hungry at night. Usually I will eat something but this always puts me over my calorie goal and ultimately means I'm not losing any weight. Only problem is if I don't eat I get dizzy and black out for 10-30 seconds at a time and feel like I'm going to be sick. Is this normal to get that hungry? I don't eat perfect but I've started trying to eat more whole grains to keep me fuller but its not helping that much. Do you have any tips to stop nighttime cravings?

Replies

• Marchmallow
    Marchmallow Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The blackouts sound like it could be an underlying health problem, better check it out with a doctor, you might have a blood-sugar related condition.

As for me, I also get night cravings if I stay up too late. What time do you go to sleep normally? If I go at 11pm or earlier I don't get the hunger. The body tells you to eat if you're awake for a while without eating.
    Also, I do eat more in the later part of the day so I eat fewer calories at breakfast and lunch to account for the evening stretch. My calorie allowance is 1400, so my breakfast and lunch usually total around 600, so I have 800 for dinner and snacks.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself throughout the day and eat something before you go to bed.

Also consider checking Glucose levels, you might need some sugar.
  • bareessentials56
    bareessentials56 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks I've been to the doctors before but they said nothing was wrong. Do I get my glucose levels checked at the doctors?
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Thanks I've been to the doctors before but they said nothing was wrong. Do I get my glucose levels checked at the doctors?

You could. I would suggest you go to a doctor and tell them your concern. Ask the doc if you can check your glucose at night before you go to bed and what number range you should be at.

You can get a Glucose scanner and the test strips very easily at just about every pharmacy. Most insurance will cover there cost.