Calories

Options
Question: does the way of preparing things change the amount of calories? I mean if I fry some chicken thighs without any oil, I should search calories for fried or raw?

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Enter calories from raw as weights of foods can change depending how they're cooked so weighing when raw will be more accurate. Different preparations can change calories but that would be so negligible it's not worth worrying about.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you cook without oil, yes, the calories should be about the same as for the raw meat. Technically, it will be a little less, since some of the fat in the meat will drain away.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yes, how you prepare foods affects the calories. You have a great example. If you add a bunch of oil to your foods, then you will have to account for it in how you log that. If you're not adding any calories when you cook, then search for the raw options.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    This is a good website for finding foods and they have things like chicken listed several different ways. Which is nice when you are eating leftovers and weigh them differently than when you prepared the meal.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods