Weight loss after menopause

Options
Hello! I need some help. I just started tracking and working out regularly at age 57 after a year's hiatus and not having weighed in for 8 months. I had quite a shock that I had put on 11 pounds. So I started to work out almost every day alternating cardio and resistance exercises and staying under my calorie quota and was much surprised that after 5 days I haven't even lost .1 pounds. I knew it would be slower after menopause, I just didn't think it would be impossible, any thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that I've seen others on here who are post menopausal and have lost weight. You have very little to lose so my guess is that your rate of loss is going to be very very slow. Not sure if you are a long time member on MFP or not, but the recurring themes that come up when people are not losing are these: are you logging accurately and weighing everything you eat (not measuring- weighing with a food scale)? Eat back only about half of your exercise calories because MFP overestimates usually on what you burn. Also- 5 days isn't very long to expect a loss- give it a couple of weeks before you weigh again. If you try all of this and still nothing- talk to your doctor as there could be an underlying issues such as insulin resistance or thyroid. Good luck- not impossible.
  • bwilk18
    bwilk18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks great advice. I'm up 18 pounds over the past two years so I have about 20 to lose which is alot for a 5'2" woman but I think what you said makes sense. I suppose I also could be retaining water and should (not should definitely) cut down my salt intake - I'm a salt addict.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm menopausal and lose just fine. What's your current calorie intake? We short older women don't get too much.

I also never worry about salt.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    5 days is not long enough

weight loss isn't linear and doesn't work like that unfortunately

give it 2 weeks
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Following from what Rabbit said, read through this chart:

7az8nyefay8u.jpg
  • kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Menopause totally messed me up. My metabolism had completely slowed. I'm really struggling to lose 30lbs. Trying to up my exercise and now am logging my food. We don't need as much food now which also is hard.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The metabolic slow down isn't really significant. Paging @rabbitjb because I believe she knows the figures off the top of her head.

The problem is US. As we age, we move less. I know this myself. I used to be a fidgeter (and studies show that people who fidget burn more calories a day than people who don't) and I don't really fidget any more, we'll ask the kids to get something for us when we used to get something ourselves, we'll combine trips upstairs instead of making multiple trips.

Start being more active again and undo those patterns. Exercise. Strength train to halt the slow but inevitable loss of lean muscle mass. Metabolic slow down due to aging is something you can take charge of.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Oh gawd @mamapeach910 .. nice spot you've put me in

From what I recall it was something like 100 calories per day over each decade of age

But I always think that is easily offset by an increase in musculature / activity and it is our inherent laziness as we get older that is more to blame

lift heavy stuff and put it down again

that's the way to do it .. I know I sound like Punch & Judy
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

From what I recall it was something like 100 calories per day over each decade of age

But I always think that is easily offset by an increase in musculature / activity and it is our inherent laziness as we get older that is more to blame

Sorry! I plead no caffeine. Maybe it wasn't you???? That sounds right. It's not super dire. That's 10 calories a day per year. Really, no great shakes and not the horrid thing people make it out to be.

Move more. Pick up heavy things. Profit.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Sorry! I plead no caffeine. Maybe it wasn't you???? That sounds right. It's not super dire. That's 10 calories a day per year. Really, no great shakes and not the horrid thing people make it out to be.

Those numbers sound about right.
    OP: *some* recent studies suggest that as estrogen declines, then plummets with menopause carbohydrate metabolism can change. Some women may even develop insulin resistance with true menopause.
    Play around with your carb levels a bit and see if lowering them some aids you in weight loss.

• Sued0nim
    Options

OP: *some* recent studies suggest that as estrogen declines, then plummets with menopause carbohydrate metabolism can change. Some women may even develop insulin resistance with true menopause.
    Play around with your carb levels a bit and see if lowering them some aids you in weight loss.

interesting .. I'm a big carb eater and a woman d'un certain age and I would be interested in seeing those studies if you have links please
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Menopause is the cruelest joke anyone has ever played on women. I've gained fifty pounds over the last ten years, with thirty coming on in the last five. (I'm 55.) Add a family death to the mix and it's hard to know what really caused the weight gain. Until I realize that the whole 50-pound fat pack came on because I ate more than I burned. Nature has it backwards. It's at THIS age that we need to be running around chasing kids and juggling three things at once. But that's not gonna happen, so it's off to the gym for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Menopause is the cruelest joke anyone has ever played on women. I've gained fifty pounds over the last ten years, with thirty coming on in the last five. (I'm 55.) Add a family death to the mix and it's hard to know what really caused the weight gain. Until I realize that the whole 50-pound fat pack came on because I ate more than I burned. Nature has it backwards. It's at THIS age that we need to be running around chasing kids and juggling three things at once. But that's not gonna happen, so it's off to the gym for me.

yup :nods:
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Menopause is cruel! yes, I'm on the tall side (5'8") so I hear I 'carry it well'... but I've gained 15+ lbs in the last 2 years.. I take zumba/hip hop classes twice a week and try to walk as much as I can. I've cut out fast food and soda and anything fried. I keep under my calorie goal. And I seem to gain weight. I would love to cut out carbs but that's tough for me. And... I have a sedentary desk job which is a huge downfall.
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's not easy to lose weight after menopause but it is possible. I think post menopausal women need very few calories. This is sad but in my opinion it's true. It's true for me anyway.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    To play Devil's Advocate, I think losing during or after menopause confers one advantage: We don't have to track monthly fluctuations in water weight.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    At 61, it seems impossible to lose any weight, but I think it's because I've become "set in my ways". My eating habits get out of control, and I definitely move a lot less. My knees and feet ache; it's hard to push past that.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

There are also hormonal changes that can lead to weight gain that aren't tied to muscle mass. I am the perfect example--I was lean and fit before a total hysterectomy and thus immediate menopause. I counted calories in the post op period (yes, I weighed my food) so I wouldn't gain weight. I was cleared to lift moderate weights and walk on the treadmill at four weeks and cleared for heavy weights at eight weeks. I went back to eating as I had before, and 3 months later I was up 10 pounds.

Long story short, I am more active now after my hysterectomy, yet I have to eat less than I did pre-op to maintain the same weight.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

interesting .. I'm a big carb eater and a woman d'un certain age and I would be interested in seeing those studies if you have links please

It's been eons since I've read anything scientific, I've more been reading summaries in books and what not. But there are a number of them on pubmed, as well as articles on estrogen supplementation and carbohydrate metabolism.

Here's but one...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7877818

I guess if you think about reproductive hormones, and some of the issues some women face it makes a certain sense. No clue if it varies by person, I would assume it does, as most things hormonal do.
    cheers