So you want to start biking ...

Options
EvgeniZyntx
EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
I love cycling. There are a few threads here about running, weight lifting, getting a flat stomach and I thought cycling deserved it's own little support thread for those starting out.

I'm going to assume that you learned to bike as a kid and just want to get back to it, but I'll cover actually learning to bike, if you've never biked at the bottom.

My background - I've been riding bikes for 40 years - raced a bit in college and I lead group social rides when I can. I own quite a few bikes. Can you own too many bikes? I don't think so.

Fitness on a bike can go from 200 cals/hour for the casual ride to well in the 600+ if you really pushing things. But I won't focus much on the calorie aspect of things - well, should I?

Getting a new bike - what should I get?

I get asked this the most often. Buying a bike is always a compromise between cost, weight, type of riding. So the first answer is always buy the bike you'll ride the most. The bike one needs if very different if you are looking at mostly at a little riding in town or planning to mostly do downhill trail rides.

Ask yourself a few questions:

Where do I want to ride the most? (In town, roads, trails, a mix?)
Why do I want to ride? (Fun, fitness, errands, socially?)
What position is the most comfortable for me (Fully upright, relaxed leaning forward, more of a tight racing mode?)

Some main types of bikes and riding styles:

- commuter/urban/hybrid bike - looking for something sturdy to get to work or ride all around bike. Solid, sturdy and equipped to carry light luggage. Intended for every day use, efficiency matters, not really a road bike, not a mountain bike - it can casually do both. If this is the only bike you are going to have and aren't riding primarily for fitness then it is likely to be your best match.

Other choices:

- the city beater - you ride in town and want a low cost bike that you can lock up against a post and not worry much. Cheapness is the biggest factor. Looks don't matter.

- casual/recreational bikes - prettier, heavier often bought on esthetics to look good biking around town. Dutch style bikes often fit this bill, although a good Dutch bike can be a commuter. These are ok choices but their focus is more style than function.

- road bike - intended to go distances, faster on the road. Skinny tire bikes and lighter is better. The ideal choice for long rides - choosing a road bike is a long discussion. We can have it or you can get your spandex clad bottom over to forums at roadbikereview.com. Remember steel is real. Fitting may be important.

- light mountain/trail biking - front suspension, generally lighter than a full suspension bike - intended for the dirt trail, forests, lots of fun. These can also be fine for pavement. Choices abound - we can also have a long discussion about these. Or get your loose shorts over to mtbr.com forums - really a great great resource.

- racing bikes - take a road bike and built it out of expensive unobtainium, expensive, utra-light, high-tech and priciest. Are you really going to race? OK! A different discussion on that! But you aren't starting out - this thread probably is too basic for that.

- specialized bikes: tri, trial, bmx, fixie, carriers, audax, tandems, 29ers, touring - all great specific uses - ask if interested.

At the end of the day, the best bike is the one you love and ride the most.

Bike size and getting fit

As a starting point use a bike fitting calculator and your measurements to identify a good fit. I recommend using:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

It covers different styles of riding within road or mountain set-ups. If bike fit is really an issue, if you plan to race or spend a lot of time/money on a bike, go get professionally fit at you bike store or a specialized place. Many bike stores will let you recover some of the cost of a fit in a new purchase.

For me, for most riders, the bike calculator is "good enough" to buy the bike, one then makes adjustments on use and from trail and error.

If you are short, one of the most complete bike fitting guides is Myra's - focused on sizing for women: http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/womens-fit.html

Doodads, bells and whistles

So many gadgets are possible - getting a gps of some sort can be extremely useful - to track distance but also to get back home for dinner when you are lost in the woods. Either wrist or handle-bar mounted. I suggest that you look dcrainmaker's website. He's the guy with the best reviews on GPS equipment (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/)

Helmets
Get one. Seriously. I've seen to many crashes on the road and in the ER room. Crashes happen, helmets help.

Clipless pedals
Don't do it, at least at the start. While these are great, if you are starting out, stay away from clipless pedals (where you lock in your shoe into the pedal) until you've spent some time riding.

They do increase output, etc but have some risks. I do not recommend them until one feels very comfortable using a road or mountain bike.

Join a community (on line or in 'real' life)
- shops and local ride boards (meetup, etc are great for social rides)
- the online forums at roadbikereview.com and mtbr.com each have their flavor and vibrant. You can't fail to learn from them.
- there are several bike groups here that are worth looking into.

Local bike shops can be really great - support them, provide feedback!

bike maintenance
Do it. Keep your bike clean and functioning - not only will it last longer but you are less likely to have an accident or a ruined ride if the bike is well maintained. Shops often have plans if you buy from them.
If you want to do your own maintenance, it is certainly possible - personally I do everything short of welding frames (although...) get a copy of Zinn's maintenance book (either mountain bike or road) or go over the forums communities and ask. You can fix anything. There are thousands of youtube videos on every little aspect of bike maintenance.
However, if you don't feel comfortable - see a bike mechanic.

Halp, I REALLY don't know how to bike

- Find a real live human that can help you learn this. It takes a few sessions to be comfortable but you can really learn in a period of 10 minutes to an hour. Catch the video at the end of this guide:
http://www.wikihow.com/Ride-a-Bicycle

You'll then need a few sessions to feel comfortable before you go into roads. Stick to bike only paths for a little while and you'll be fine.

What did I miss?

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

What did I miss?

A section on what to wear may be a good addition to your OP.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You missed a link to the bike group on this very forum;
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/344-bicycling-road-and-mountain
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    You missed a link to the bike group on this very forum;
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/344-bicycling-road-and-mountain

Thanks, along with that group there is also the century cycling group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3764-century-plus-cycling
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited June 2015
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

What did I miss?

A section on what to wear may be a good addition to your OP.
    Thanks!

What to wear?

It's a vast subject between road, mountain bike and just regular city biking but one can focus on a couple of things.

- First and foremost, take care of contact points: hands, feet and butt are critical for an enjoyable ride. Gloves for hot or cold weather vary. Get some. Not only do they reduce vibration and hand fatigue but also protect in case of a fall. Feet? Definitely important to have shoes with proper grip. Cycling specific shoes exist, consider them or if you are just cruising about tennis shoes with some stick. Sure, you can bike with flip-flops, open toed sandals or heels but these can be really bad news if they cause a fall when your feet slips. Ask my daughter.

Finally, your butt. Starting riders spend a lot of time sitting, you'll eventually learn to ride some time off the seat, especially if you do any trail riding but the butt is an important contact point. Get some padded shorts to avoid soreness and hopefully monkey butt. Go commando. Seriously. Ideally padding should be thin and comfortable and not feel like a diaper. Cyclist also have a product called butt butter - if you ride long rides, it could be your very best friend.

Outerwear - like hiking, layering can be beneficial depending on weather and type of riding. Those loud and tight road jerseys? They reduce wind drag and increase visibility. Visibility on the road is good, wear what you like but there is no need to wear an expensive full team kit. Plus they look a bit silly, in my opinion.

Glasses - get a pair, protect your eyes.

Mountain biking clothes tend to be looser, wind, drag and visibility are less of an issue.

But like running, the most comfortable wear is NOT cotton. Getting something that wicks away sweat, dries fast.