What strength training/Lifting Program do YOU use?!

Options

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    hey thanks i will check it out!

Now since I want to lose fat/build lean muscle, should I be doing cardio intervals weekly too? I have been doing 20-30 minutes of speed/incline treadmill intervals. I know cardio has a lot of health benefits, and I've also heard if you just plain ol' need to lose weight, its best to incorporate cardio in with your lifting too, is that right?

Depends on what you "End Game" is. I am shooting for doing a Sprint Distance Tri in September so I Run 3 days and lift/cycle 3 days. Plus I have an obsession with softball and play 2 days, sometimes 3 days a week.

So like I said, depends on what you ultimately want to do. Many people have great success with absolutely no cardio what-so-ever.
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump. Interested to see what people are doing :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm doing All Pro's currently. Very cool routine, although if you have lifter's ADD, you'll probably hate it......
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I've done stronglifts 5x5 off and on since September.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Strong lifts here too-and do check out the group - before you read anything on the stronglifts site (which as previously mentioned is geared 10000% to men).
  • jackaroo1223
    Options
    I don't have goals for running or anything like that- mainly weight loss/muscle (nothing crazy like bodybuilding though), so i can be healthier, feel better about myself. i do live in the mountains and do a lot of hiking around/hunting/snowshoeing in winter, so to be in better shape for those things would be great.

i guess you could say my end game is to be smaller, as i am about 230 now, size 18, to ultimately firm up and get down to a size 6 would be AMAZING.

so would just lifting be enough for that to happen? hmmm...
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I don't have goals for running or anything like that- mainly weight loss/muscle (nothing crazy like bodybuilding though), so i can be healthier, feel better about myself. i do live in the mountains and do a lot of hiking around/hunting/snowshoeing in winter, so to be in better shape for those things would be great.

i guess you could say my end game is to be smaller, as i am about 230 now, size 18, to ultimately firm up and get down to a size 6 would be AMAZING.

so would just lifting be enough for that to happen? hmmm...

Weight lifting and diet. Would also suggest incorporating some form of moderate-high intensity cardio 2-3 times a week 20-30 minutes each, for general health.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    S.P.O.T. cycles ..... works for me ....
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

It amazes me how many women do Stronglifts and how completely Mehdi ignores them. He's leaving a ton of money on the table by focusing on men and excluding women.

Seriously, he is a jerk. I unsubscribed from his email list.

Me too. He talks about leaving ego at the door then if you watch his squat videos his bouncing at the bottom to be able to lift the weights he has on, which is ALL about ego.

I am seriously considering emailing him and asking if I can license the name and set up a Stronglifts for Women website that is more female friendly and all inclusive. Just using the same Inner Circle structure ($20/month) and probably make a mint.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I do MY OWN program!!! I call it Big Brown tower of power!!..........................damn! I snapped on the name!
    But I do my own thing.:bigsmile:

Lots of compound heavy lifts & alot of dips & Pull ups n lungesss
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

It amazes me how many women do Stronglifts and how completely Mehdi ignores them. He's leaving a ton of money on the table by focusing on men and excluding women.

Me too. He talks about leaving ego at the door then if you watch his squat videos his bouncing at the bottom to be able to lift the weights he has on, which is ALL about ego.

I am seriously considering emailing him and asking if I can license the name and set up a Stronglifts for Women website that is more female friendly and all inclusive. Just using the same Inner Circle structure ($20/month) and probably make a mint.

Just make your own derivative program and give it a cool name and fill it full of success stories and marketing. That's what Medhi did.

In fact, I'll do it for you:

Pinklifts, a powerlifting and introductory strength program for women!

All sets are done as 4 sets of 6 reps in the following manner:

If you are lifting 100 pounds:
    Set 1: 50% ( 50 pounds )
    Set 2: 75% ( 75 pounds)
    Set 3 100% 100 pounds
    Set 4 100% 100 pounds

Increase lower body weight by 5 pounds each workout.
    Increase upper body weight by 2.5 pounds OR one rep by each workout if you don't have fractional plates.

Workout A:
    Bench Press
    Deadlift
    Leg curls 3x10 light weight OR lunges 3x10 bodyweight

Workout B:
    Overhead press
    Squat
    Pendlay Rows

Work out 3 times a week, every other day. This program is advantageous because of the more steady progression, especially in upper body lifts, and increased recovery versus programs designed for stinky hairy men.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Question for those doing stronglifts - do you go to the gym? We can't afford a gym right now and the heaviest weight I have are 10lb dumbbells. Is there anyone strength training at home and if so, what weights are you using? Thought about buying those adjustable one's but they are expensive!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm currently running Wendler's 5/3/1 with some accessory work, but cutting out the deadlift day. (I do them light on squat day. I'm going to start adding them back in heavier, soon, I think.)

Monday:
    Bench
    Dips (using a bench with a plate in my lap) (3 sets of 8)
    Flys (5 sets of 8)

Wednesday:
    Squats
    Good Mornings (3-5 sets of 10)
    Deadlifts (3-5 sets of 10)

Friday:
    Over Head Press
    Bent Over Rows (3-55 sets of 8)
    L Raises (3-5 sets of 8)

I also do either weighted windmills, weighted Russian twists, bicycle crunches, planks, reverse crunches, etc. 2-3 exercises each strength day. For cardio, I run Tuesday and Thursday and either Saturday or Sunday.

I'm mainly lifting to preserve muscle mass while I drop some more fat. I gained 15 pounds from September of last year until January, and I am struggling to get it back off. Some of that was muscle, but it was a lot of extra fat. I'm a 5'4", 36 year old female. I'm at 131 right now, I was 117 last summer, I'd love to get back around there & 20% body fat.

edit: I'm not doing StrongLifts (obviously), but I do lift at home. I have a bar (I'm hopefully getting a new 45 pound Oly bar for my birthday this weekend, mine is a 30 pound 3 piece bar), a bench, plates that go up to 115 with my current bar, a small adjustable safety rack (not a full cage) and plate loadable dumbbells. It's a decent chunk to drop all at once, but Craig's List often has equipment for cheap, so I've been told, and there's used gym equipment places as well.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Wendler 5/3/1

Bench Day & Accessory work
    Deadlift Day & Accessory work
    OHP Day & Accessory work
    Squat Day & Accessory work
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    5/3/1 3-day Big But Boring plus a couple of extra accessory lifts (pullup, inverted row, curl, tricep pushdown).

Squat 5/3/1 + light bench + pullup
    Deadlift and OHP 5/3/1 + row + curl
    Bench 5/3/1 + light squat + tri pushdown
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do MY OWN program!!! I call it Big Brown tower of power!!............
    That sounds like an epic bowel movement
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Just make your own derivative program and give it a cool name and fill it full of success stories and marketing. That's what Medhi did.

Set 3 100% 100 pounds
    Set 4 100% 100 pounds

Increase upper body weight by 2.5 pounds OR one rep by each workout if you don't have fractional plates.

Workout A:
    Bench Press
    Deadlift

Workout B:
    Overhead press
    Squat
    Pendlay Rows

Work out 3 times a week, every other day. This program is advantageous because of the more steady progression, especially in upper body lifts, and increased recovery versus programs designed for stinky hairy men.
    I'll join that! Especially if part of the PinkLift program also includes eating PinkBerry :smile:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Set 3 100% 100 pounds
    Set 4 100% 100 pounds

Workout A:
    Bench Press
    Deadlift

Workout B:
    Overhead press
    Squat
    Pendlay Rows

I'll join that! Especially if part of the PinkLift program also includes eating PinkBerry :smile:

That's our first marketing tie-in. Though my wife hates pink and I know she is not alone.
  • vitav99
    vitav99 Posts: 1
    Options
    I highly recommend You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG) by Mark Lauren. There is a book and an app for the phone that goes with it. After following it for 4 months, I cannot imagine myself ever going to the gym again or ever buying any weights. Your body and its own weight is the best tool you can use. It has completely transformed my body which I never achieved before while going to Body Pump, lifting heavy weights, etc. It's also only around 30 minutes a day 4-5 days a week.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Live Fit Trainer. Love it!! It's teaching me a lot and starting to see some results.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Okay, I will say I'm 43 and my husband was a personal trainer...

I was in the military, so I went to boot camp
    I trained in Shaolin Kempo and was an instructor for a while
    I was on eDiets for a year or more
    Jillian Michaels website for about 3-4 months
    I have used the Tough Mudder Boot Camp workouts
    as well as

Hal Higdon's training for a Half marathon
    and training from the book "Road Racing for Serious Runners"

I create my own circuit training that is full body training plans (1 week at a time/ 3 day plan); they all include chest, back, legs, glutes, shoulders, and arms.
    There are usually 5 circuits w/2 weight exercises and a cardio (usually a plyometric)
    Each day has a focus (legs; chest/back or shoulders)
    I also try to incorporate different exercises for each body part in order to train each muscle for a body part (ie. upper chest, middle chest, lower chest; legs: quads, hamstrings, abductors, adductors, inner, outer and middle calves)

If you've done enough programs you should be able to come up with your own without buying another program.