CPAP and Essential Oils

Options
slepygrl
slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
Hey All!
I was wondering about using essential oils in my cpap? Can I? Is that dumb? Has any tried it? More importantly, will it break my machine?

Replies

• kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should put oils in your cpap. There is a company that makes oils that you apply to a little paper wafer that you can place in front of the air intake. It's pretty nice to fall asleep to the smell of mandarin oranges. Google Pur-Sleep and you'll find it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think this is a question to ask of the machine company, not here on MFP. My first reaction is "no, don't do that," but I would call the 1-800 number or email them to ask.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think this is a question to ask of the machine company, not here on MFP. My first reaction is "no, don't do that," but I would call the 1-800 number or email them to ask.

And, they will say that it is inadvisable. The air is not simply inhaled, it is induced under pressure for 6-9 hours, and even very small amount of oil-based droplets can cause lung irritation.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Forcing oils into your respiratory system sounds like a bad idea to me. You'll be asleep most of time anyway.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Many essential oils will leave a residue (resin) and can 'gum' up a machine (such as a humidifier). Which could certainly also happen to a cpap machine.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    This is a question for the manufacture and your doctor.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    slepygrl wrote: »
    Hey All!
    I was wondering about using essential oils in my cpap? Can I? Is that dumb? Has any tried it? More importantly, will it break my machine?

Yes it can break it and most essential oils are not meant to be inhaled like that so you could possibly make yourself really sick/accidentally lol yourself.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    This sounds like horrible idea.
  • skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    slepygrl wrote: »
    Is that dumb?

Yes.
  • milliebug14
    milliebug14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why would you even want to do this?
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    My Doctor (Pulmonologist) said no, use only distilled water in my CPAP. Some oils used in this manner can be very toxic.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Was the goal to having some kind of calming effect?
    I agree don't do it, but I'm just wondering what lead up to this idea.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I've put peppermint essential oil on my nose lots of times to breath better and for a calming effect, usually before I go to the gym.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've put peppermint essential oil on my nose lots of times to breath better and for a calming effect, usually before I go to the gym.

That's a lot different than having pepperminted oil blown into your nose/lungs for 6+ hours.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

That's a lot different than having pepperminted oil blown into your nose/lungs for 6+ hours.

I would say not to put it in the machine just put it on your nose if your skin doesn't get irritated from it.