Tell me that it is normal.....

Options
to go up a few pounds when starting a new, intense workout program (fitness boot camp). I retain fluid very easily and know that it is water weight (eat clean) but man is it frustrating to be experiencing it when working so hard.

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Yes to everything except the eating clean part. Screw that noise.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    yes. you are normal.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" has no direct effect on retaining water, just so you know.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yes it is normal to go up a few pounds when starting a new routine. your body is retaining water in the muscles. Keep doing what your doing and dont be defined by the scale which really tells you nothing.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    You're spot on. No worries, but I totally get how it can be frustrating! (In fact, I would wager this is why a lot of people get discouraged and give up when first starting a new program)

I went for a long hike this weekend, and between the physical work, the humidity, and the heat, I managed to gain 5 lbs in two days. I'm now watching that gained weight drop off at about .5 - 1 lbs a day. I know in my head that it's water fluctuation, but it still makes me sort of crazy.

Ah, so much cognitive dissonance....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yep. Normal. Keep eating nutrient dense foods, at a deficit, and keep doing what you're doing.
  • mlavalley73
    mlavalley73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I simply eat unprocessed foods which has limited sodium and add my own sea salt to control it hence it does not impact eating too much sodium.
  • mlavalley73
    Options
    I really appreciate the feedback-LiveLoveLift48
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. It's normal for weight to fluctuate also. Could be a few reasons such as starting a new workout regime, where you are in your monthly cycle, sodium intake and stress.

Don't sweat it. Enjoy the new work out routine.

Just as a heads up: Eating clean has no clear definition. For some it is eating whole, unprocessed foods and for others it could be washing off veggies before you cook it. ;)
  • mlavalley73
    Options
    Thanks Troutsy...I tried to edit as this was my 2nd post and apparently the word clean is annoying (couldn't figure out how to edit). I should have expanded....I primarily eat veggies and fruits from our garden along with unprocessed, whole foods.

Again, thanks everyone....just trying to get that doubt out of my mind.
  • mlavalley73
    Options
    You're spot on. No worries, but I totally get how it can be frustrating! (In fact, I would wager this is why a lot of people get discouraged and give up when first starting a new program)

I went for a long hike this weekend, and between the physical work, the humidity, and the heat, I managed to gain 5 lbs in two days. I'm now watching that gained weight drop off at about .5 - 1 lbs a day. I know in my head that it's water fluctuation, but it still makes me sort of crazy.

Ah, so much cognitive dissonance....
    ----

LOVE long hikes and started the 5 week Fitness boot camp so that when we go on vacation in the mountains, I won't be the only one huffing and puffing up the mountain cliff back to the cabin. For the past two years, my husband and kids zoom by me...not this year. I am determined!

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way never to weigh myself shortly after an intense workout.
  • aBlueCrayon
    aBlueCrayon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Totally normal, but try not to rely on numbers too much! Focus on what your body is telling you too; do you feel better? Are you muscles burning? Try to weigh a set time maybe once a week or so :)
  • mlavalley73
    Options
    Totally normal, but try not to rely on numbers too much! Focus on what your body is telling you too; do you feel better? Are you muscles burning? Try to weigh a set time maybe once a week or so :)

I feel great...for the first time in years, I actually want to do this despite how hard the program is to do. Yesterday was a rest day but wanted to "do" something and did a gentle pilates DVD with my daughter. It felt wonderful. I also saw a line of definition beginning in my calves which brought a big smile to my face. My muscles are burning during the program but no longer sore like the initial week when I could barely move afterwards.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Completely normal.

Exercise, ovulation, period, even sunburn will cause a temporary weight gain.

Don't fret. :)