In spite of losing inches, why I am not loosing as much weight?

Options
mmnv79
mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I'm happy with my progress so far and I m taking things easy step by step. But I don't know too much about nutricion and was wondering why if I lost a pound in the past 3 weeks how come it is so noticeable. Thanks!

Replies

• mmnv79
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Edited to upload a different picture with the same leggins.

5knlkj1ilkbe.jpg

May 14th, 84 kg., 185 lbs.
    Jun 10th, 83.5 kg, 184 lbs.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Only 3 weeks? Water weight fluctuations are probably masking any fat loss on the scale.

Could be a number of other things, but that's the likely explanation. (assuming you're in a calorie deficit)
  • mmnv79
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I'm on a calorie deficit diet. I'm not on a diet diet but I eat approx between 1300 - 1500 calories and have healthy homemade meals. I have a desk job but I do a bit of exercise every day (walking, cycling, kayaking, weight lifting, etc.) but nothing extreme. My starting weight was 92 kg. (202lbs) at Christmas.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    There's no delicate way to put it, but it could also be the case that the pants in the top picture are distorting your stomach in a way the ones in the bottom picture aren't.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    The pictures aren't great but believe me all my pants are sooo big and baggy now. I had to buy a smaller size on Saturday. I'll try to get a picture with the same leggins I was wearing last month.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you feel your clothes fit differently, that's probably more accurate than any picture, anyway.

I lost an inch off my waist for every 5.5 pounds or so, but that going to vary for everyone according to genetics and where they carry their weight.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    honestly... I can look like your before and after within ten minutes of "sitting" and some candy crushing.

A lot can be bloat - maybe the food you are eating is causing you to bloat less. Maybe you've cut something out of your diet that causes that bloat. Maybe you're consuming less salt and therefore retaining less water. Maybe you're further away from (or closer to) your monthly cycle.

you're early steps in this marathon... give it time - don't expect crazy progress right at the start.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    Thank you both.

I don't expect quick results. In fact, I'm not following any diet but keeping the calories between 1300 - 1500 (I have a desk job), trying to do a bit of exercise every day and eating healthier. It's just that I don't know too much about nutricion and was wondering why it could be, that's all.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    :smile:

(Hopes I didn't sound harsh)

I'd be willing to bet it's diet related. It's too soon to see that big a change otherwise.
    Keep going!
  • mmnv79
    Options
    Not at all. I appreciate honesty and constructive criticism more than anything. :)
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    mmnv79 wrote: »
    Not at all. I appreciate honesty and constructive criticism more than anything. :)

that is fantastic news, and a great attitude to have. You'll fit in well here!
  • mmnv79
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    mmnv79 wrote: »

that is fantastic news, and a great attitude to have. You'll fit in well here!

Yes, I noticed that some people get upset because they don't want to hear the truth and would rather remain oblivious. It's time for many of us to face the truth and do something
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The stock answer to your original question is that muscle weighs more than fat, but is leaner. You'll have stretches of time when your additional muscle weight balances out fat loss, and nothing changes on the scale even though you have visible changes.

Weight is only one measure, and it's very incomplete. Also, three weeks is a very short time. There are many possible variables at play, but it looks like you're doing okay.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    Thanks @WKent.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    WKenL wrote: »
    The stock answer to your original question is that muscle weighs more than fat, but is leaner. You'll have stretches of time when your additional muscle weight balances out fat loss, and nothing changes on the scale even though you have visible changes.

Weight is only one measure, and it's very incomplete. Also, three weeks is a very short time. There are many possible variables at play, but it looks like you're doing okay.

No that's NOT the stock answer, because it's incorrect.

OP is not gaining muscle weight in a caloric deficit doing "nothing extreme" for exercise, and certainly not enough to mask any fat loss.