Advice needed on 0 calorie foods!

So before I start my weight loss journey again, for like the 100th time:embarassed: , I decided to do it right this time and put some research into what I should be doing to better my body and fitness levels!

I'll be logging my food diary on here to keep track of calories but I wanted to know what to do about these so called 'No Calorie Foods' for example: Apple, Broccoli, Carrots, Celery, Cucumber, Garlic, Kale, Oranges, Peppers, Spinach, Tomatoes. These foods feature heavily in my diet already and I have read that they burn just as many calories eating/digesting these foods than they actual contain.

Do you guys log these foods towards your calorie intake or leave them because they're basically zero calories :huh: Let me know what you think!

Thanks! :heart:

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    There is no such thing as a no calorie food.

Those foods you listed have calories and you need to log them because they DO count.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Log them. They have calories.
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Yes, please log everything that goes into your mouth, even that gum. You will be surprised at how many calories are in some of those. And they do add up fast
  • Bexxie_xo
    Bexxie_xo Posts: 6
    Thanks guys I'll be sure to log everything :)

Especially the gum as I'm using that as an aid to me quitting smoking!
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    So before I start my weight loss journey again, for like the 100th time:embarassed: , I decided to do it right this time and put some research into what I should be doing to better my body and fitness levels!

I'll be logging my food diary on here to keep track of calories but I wanted to know what to do about these so called 'No Calorie Foods' for example: Apple, Broccoli, Carrots, Celery, Cucumber, Garlic, Kale, Oranges, Peppers, Spinach, Tomatoes. These foods feature heavily in my diet already and I have read that they burn just as many calories eating/digesting these foods than they actual contain.

Do you guys log these foods towards your calorie intake or leave them because they're basically zero calories :huh: Let me know what you think!

Thanks! :heart:

Apples and Oranges both have significant levels of calories.
    Next up would be your tomatoes, peppers, and carrots.
    Then broccoli, celery, cucumber, garlic, kale, spinach.

I don't eat apples or oranges, but I don't bother counting the rest. I simply can't eat enough of them to impact my macros (I concern myself primarily with carbs, not calories) in any meaningful way. Given that the calorie counts on food packaging is full of rounding anyway, I just kind of put them within the MOE of any actual counting I do anyway.

Then again, I don't eat them by the bucketload -- if I did, I'd probably count 'em. :)
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    I had an apple a few hours ago. It had 80 calories.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    I eat almost 300 calories a day worth of those foods. I have read some that have come from Weight Watchers say they have started losing weight because they are counting them now.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Digestion is already figured into the calories you burn on a daily basis. As such, even if these foods contained less calories then you use to digest them (questionable), that is already figured in. You need to log them. Everything that goes into your mouth should be logged so you get a realistic idea as to what you are consuming.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    no such thing as a zero calorie food. Only thing out there that has 0 calories is water. LOG EVERYTHING!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    I log everything that passes my lips. Those "no calorie" foods do have calories and they add up quickly. Log everything, it gives you a good picture of when and where your calories are coming from and can be a good tool in learning about your health and will help you to tweak things as you progress. Good luck to you!
  • lilbrighteyes
    lilbrighteyes Posts: 9 Member
    I agree, log everything. I even log when I drink my pelligrino because there is always something in whatever you put in your body. And you want to be sure you are getting other necessary nutrients as well, not just calories. Hope this helps :)
  • i am trying to quit smoking myself but i am on tablets for that so hopefully we both can quit smoking good luck to us both in that :smile:
  • Are you sure you aren't thinking about weight watchers? I remember when I tried weight watchers the old program most of the fruits and vegetables were 0 points.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    i am trying to quit smoking myself but i am on tablets for that so hopefully we both can quit smoking good luck to us both in that :smile:

i quit a month ago on chantix. good luck you can do it
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    No such thing as no calorie foods but there are foods that require our body to use more calories to digest the food than the food itself, though the only one that meets this criteria is celery.

Regarding gum, usually they have because 5-20 kcal per piece and an hours worth of chewing burns abou that much so I wouldn't worry about the gum - assuming you chew a lot
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Low calorie does not equal zero calorie. Apples are good food but can be 70-90 calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    There is no such thing as 0 calorie foods. I eat about 200-300 calories of fruits and veg daily...if I didn't log those, I'd be 200-300 calories over my calorie goal. You log everything when calorie counting
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    There is no such thing as a no calorie food.

Those foods you listed have calories and you need to log them because they DO count.
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    :huh: No. Food has calories - log it.
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    The closest to being a 0 calorie food is lettuce... roughly 50 calories for an iceberg and I mean the whole thing! Though for the record, it's also the most boring food ever :P Sadly no food is 0 calories but hey if you like lettuce, by all means go for it!