Lifting weights to lose weight?

2»

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Most definitely, do both!! Your body is more obliged to Give up the fat , the more lean muscle mass you have. Do it!
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    What is strong lifts??? Do i have 2 pay 4 a personal trainer to know how to use machines correct and to know how many sets and reps to do? how do I learn that on my own?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited June 2015
    What is strong lifts??? Do i have 2 pay 4 a personal trainer to know how to use machines correct and to know how many sets and reps to do? how do I learn that on my own?

It is a weight training program. You don't have to pay a trainer, but if you take a few sessions it can be a help. You don't want to ask them how to use machines, but how to do compound lifts with the barbell. If you look at the website for Strong Lifts 5x5, you can get a better idea of what the program entails. There are videos on there as well.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

It is a weight training program. You don't have to pay a trainer, but if you take a few sessions it can be a help. You don't want to ask them how to use machines, but how to do compound lifts with the barbell. If you look at the website for Strong Lifts 5x5, you can get a better idea of what the program entails. There are videos on there as well.

this
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    If you need a surplus to build muscle, why have I gone from being able to do 5 real push ups in a row to 10 in a month on a deficit? Every single body weight exercise I've done I've gotten stronger at, and I've been on a deficit.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    If you need a surplus to build muscle, why have I gone from being able to do 5 real push ups in a row to 10 in a month on a deficit? Every single body weight exercise I've done I've gotten stronger at, and I've been on a deficit.

Getting stronger is not quite the same as gaining mass as far as muscles are concerned. You can do both but one doesn't always mean the other happened. I've increased all of my lifts while in a deficit, getting squat up past body weight, but I haven't necessarily increased muscles mass except very minor "newbie" gains. It's more the muscles adapting and being capable of handling more over time.
  • Suzmp88
    Suzmp88 Posts: 48 Member
    edited June 2015
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This is what I did with my trainer to lose weight (he knew I didn't want to "bulk up"):

if your trainer told you, you were going to "bulk up" he was dead wrong. Unless he was recommending roids?

My trainer assigned this routine so I would lose weight, not "bulk up" is what I'm saying. The misconception for me at the time was that consistently lifting weights would give me too much muscle definition when I'm just trying to slim down, when this wasn't the case although I did tone as well as slim down.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    You could break it down as follows.
    • Caloric deficit for weight loss
    • Exercise for health (with corollary weight loss benefits)
      • Cardio for heart / wellbeing / padding your caloric deficit
      • Strength training for maintaining muscle mass / gaining strength / feeling awesome

At least that’s how I see it. I lost weight with a caloric deficit, did strength training to maintain lean body mass, and sometimes do cardio (running, skipping rope) when I feel like it because it’s refreshing and it clears my mind. So what I would focus on primarily, in your case, is your caloric deficit - use a food scale to weight all solids, log everything. If you’ve got the deficit, you’ll keep losing weight. Strength training is always a good idea though, to maintain LBM.

Edited to add: I’d love to “bulk up”, but that will take a whole lot of work and a whole lot of eating. You won’t accidentally bulk up eating in a deficit. Good strength training programs are Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or Strong Curves.

I like your break down.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member

Neuromuscular adaptation. Basically you are training your existing muscle to work more efficiently and effectively, but not creating new muscle.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-get-stronger-without-getting-bigger

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

strength gains do not equal muscle gains.

you can train your muscle to be more efficient without adding mass.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    I've been really happy doing a combination of both cardio and strength training. I find I feel better and lose more weight when I am strength training than I do with cardio alone. I do, however, really enjoy cardio so I don't eliminate it from my routine.

Plus it just feels so badass!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Neuromuscular adaptation. Basically you are training your existing muscle to work more efficiently and effectively, but not creating new muscle.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-get-stronger-without-getting-bigger

This made me laugh (from the article): "Imagine what would happen if your brain told your muscles to contract fully when lifting a glass up. You’d be knocking yourself in the face every time you wanted to have a drink."
    ;)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Shanel0916 wrote: »

I like your break down.

Thanks :smile: . And yeah, gaining strength =/= gaining muscle.