where to begin

Options
I need to lose fifty pounds and I have absolutely no support. I have never done this before so I need plenty of advice and support. Please and thank you.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just start logging. Log everything you put in your mouth. Then you can see where you are starting and where you need to make adjustments. Don't try and change your entire lifestyle at once. Think about buying a food scale - it is probably one of the most useful tools for weight loss.
  • Guitarist4L1fe
    Guitarist4L1fe Posts: 31 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Think about it this way. If you lose an average of 1.5 pounds a week. In One year that will be 57.6 pounds. I don't know how fast you would like to loose because there are many factors involved. I think the point I am making is just take small steps and a bunch of small steps after a year is an incredible difference. Like Ready2rock said. Just log everything accurately and you will lose over time. Its a fact of science. Add exercise into that equation and it will even come off faster.
  • adriannawalker35
    adriannawalker35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't expect to lose quickly. But I have got to do something I feel awful. I never thought I would be this much overweight and then years seems like days and here I am. Thanks for the advice
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have tried Weight Watchers again and despite keeping a log of my points it is so up and down. I have my daily calorie amount now and I earned some additional ones for activity. Can I still lose weight and have the total? You sure?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    joolieb1 wrote: »
    I have tried Weight Watchers again and despite keeping a log of my points it is so up and down. I have my daily calorie amount now and I earned some additional ones for activity. Can I still lose weight and have the total? You sure?

Yes, IF you truly burned the calories claimed in your Activity. Sometimes these calories are too high, in which case, you'll gain weight if you eat them.
    Try only eating back 1/2 of the stated calories from Activity (Daily Calorie + 1/2 Activity Calorie) for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Start with figuring out whay you wnat to lose so you understand why you will be doing things.

Educate yourself in how weight loss works. Read the guide on this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Decide what it will take and whether you are ready to commit to achieving that aim

Weigh your food.

Learn to be patient and consistent.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I used the App for months before ever going on the forums

The app is awesome!!

A workout plan helped me. I joined a gym and did all that stuff

It was easier to embrace the fitness lifestyle just jumping in for me

Welcome and best wishes!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    welcome.
    you can find support here. ( you will also find trolls. welcome to the internet)
    start with small sustainable changes.
    log your food
    log your exercise
    food scales are a good tool. but I have not found the need for one yet. but a good tool nonetheless