Exercise ideas

Options
JLN1974
JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
Hi all, I have two main problems affecting my level of fitness. The first is I have two young children, my husband works late most evenings so I can't go out to do exercise in the evenings etc. I try to walk where I can but the speed and distance I would like to do are not compatible with a 4 and 6 year old in tow everywhere I go! The second is I have lower back and hip problems - the doctors and other health professionals don't agree, some say sciatica, mainly I have very little movement in the muscles in that area and a lot of pain. So anything high impact is out. I've just the last two nights started a gentle exercise on the trampoline in the garden and I am trying to do stretches in the morning to improve those muscles.

Replies

• passionflower70
    passionflower70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hiya, Just a thought, but what about trying the swimming pool with the children. You could do walking up and down, which helps and is low impact and played games with floating toys. I've got a hip problem too and husband that works late, oh and 8 yr old, so similar problem. I'm going to get the mini trampoline out to do marching on the spot, crosstrainer on medium resistance as again it's low impact. Physio and doc advice. Also the Swiss ball is brilliant for core muscle workouts, Asda have cheap ones that are really good. Sit ups on them, stretches, just sitting on it to watch TV is better than the sofa as it keeps your posture correct and workshop core muscles too. Hope this helps, good luck xx
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you can carve out time (mornings, lunch or weekends maybe when hubby is around to watch the little ones), maybe try taking a yoga class. Will help strengthen core muscles and also teach you new poses and stretches you can do on your own time so you can build strength and stamina for more intense exercising.
    Most instructors are very accommodating for limitations and will help you adjust and find what works best for you.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Just some advice, you will need to get warmed up before you stretch.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you live but some of the gyms here have a baby sitting service. I go to world health and the people that use the baby sitting service speak very highly of it
  • jenn3365
    jenn3365 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would stay off the trampoline. Jumping with hip and back issues may complicate things. Try a walk at home video. You can pause it and return if your children need you. I have numerous problems total hip replacement bad right hip and major spine issues. I have lost 90 or so pounds doing very low impact exercise and multiple times a day so I have less pain. Really have to watch your diet if you are trying to lose weight. I thought if I lost weight I would have less pain. Still have a lot of pain but at least I can breathe.