I am overwhelmed and don't know where to start!!!

Options
I really don't seem to be able to get on track!! Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Can you elaborate on this a bit?
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    What specifically would you like help with?
  • Gska17
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Double post
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    short-circuit-need-input.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Context. For help, give us context. Love the sexypants link above.
    For starters, are you logging everything? That's where I'd start. Get used to logging for a few weeks. The very act of logging can be eye-opening.
  • skgoldberg
    skgoldberg Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just can't seem to get on a food program that I stick with. The logging is a great idea. I guess I need to break this down and do it one step at a time. I am looking at the big picture and it overwhelms me.
  • skgoldberg
    Options
    I just can't seem to get on a food program that I stick with. The logging is a great idea. I guess I need to break this down and do it one step at a time. I am looking at the big picture and it overwhelms me.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Start right where you are, with what you have on hand. Start logging everything that goes into your mouth. I know how hard that is, believe me. You don't have to completely change your diet, you just need to eat less of it, most likely.
  • skgoldberg
    Options
    Thanks!! I need to just relax and take it one step at a time I guess! I keep trying to change everything all at one time. I appreciate the help:)
  • Gska17
    Options
    Ditto others, log everything. Start practicing with a food scale too so you can get the hang of it. I promise it'll become second nature. Decent scales run about $20 USD.
  • deast12
    deast12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As 2snakeswoman said, just start logging. I thought I was eating a good balance but was surprised at the number of calories I was consuming. Look at the calories, carbs, proteins, etc that MFP tells you to eat and scale back to meet those limits.
  • soozquu
    soozquu Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't go for a fancy/special diet. Log every bite that goes in your mouth. Measure/weigh if you have the tools. If not, estimate for now. Be super honest with your logging. Make your diary private if it will help you be honest with yourself. Do this for awhile. Then, when you feel ready, start cutting down the portion size of food you are eating.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would, just for a day or two, eat like you normally do and log it just to see how many calories you normally eat. Then continue to eat what you always do, but eat smaller portions to stay within your daily calorie goal. You don't need to totally change what you eat every day to lose weight.

This is what I do. I eat all of my favorite things, but I refrain from "pigging out" (usually). It works for me, maybe it is a method that could work for you.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Start right where you are, with what you have on hand. Start logging everything that goes into your mouth. I know how hard that is, believe me. You don't have to completely change your diet, you just need to eat less of it, most likely.

I agree. Keep eating what you are now, maybe less of it, and start logging everything. Then, look back over the week and see what your habits are, what you'd like to change, etc. Don't over think it and don't overwhelm yourself. It is much simpler than most people realize.
  • skgoldberg
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas and encouragement!!!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    skgoldberg wrote: »

Logging is an excellent first step. If you'd like a helpful tool, get a digital food scale -- takes out the guesswork and the fiddling of figuring out how much of something you ate. (At least for things you're eating at home anyway!)

You don't need a food program, I promise. Logging will help you see some changes you can make.

Let's say for breakfast you eat 1 piece of toast with butter and jam and 1 bowl of yoghurt. That could be like 500 calories. Or, you could weigh each thing as you make it, and make sure it adds up to 400 instead, or 350, or whatever the budget is. Maybe you decide the toast isn't worth it and make a change -- an orange and a yoghurt. Or maybe the yoghurt is not worth it, so you put an egg on your toast instead.

You don't need a whole new way of eating. You will probably make some changes as you see how you've been eating. You'll realize some foods and combinations keep you fuller and happier than others. And you'll pare down your treats to things you TRULY enjoy and find worth the calories, cutting out stuff that you were eating just out of habit that isn't worth it.

If you'd like to get started, set MFP up with a modest goal, like 1 lb a week. If that's too overwhelming, start by setting it up for maintenance and make a personal goal not to go over that target if you can. Log what you eat, and work on getting below your maintenance. You will learn a LOT. Once you're feeling more confident, up your goal to 1 lb a week (or whatever you want) to start losing.

In the meantime, feel free to try moving more. But you don't have to start a big exercise program or make it complicated. Working out is fantastic for health, but you can start when you're ready, or forego it if you like. Or your working out can be walking. It can be whatever makes you happy.

And set some small goals. Don't stare at that BIG end goal. Think about what you're aiming for today, or this week. Think about what you might accomplish this month. Could you increase your walking minutes? Log 7 days in a row? Buy a food scale? Each step is what you focus on, and you'll be taking steps your whole life -- this isn't a thing you do for awhile and then it's accomplished. So dial it down to something you can feel excited about, not overwhelmed by.
  • Gska17
    Options
    Also, my diary is open to friends. If you'd like to look at it for some examples of what I'm eating send me a friend request. I eat a little of everything, nothing is off limits! I just measure it out. :)