Question for those who are eating low carbs.

Options
I consider myself a low carb eater because I avoid white carbs. Not really sure if that's what you consider low carb eating. What are the carbs you do eat and avoid?

Replies

• paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do the same, I avoid white carbs usually. I eat sweet potatoes, veggies, beans and oatmeal though
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    low carb eating is when your net carbs (carbs - fiber basically) are generally below 50 - 15 when first starting. Really low! That means no processed (white) foods, potatoes, pasta, rice, legumes, limited fruits, no sugar honey. they also do not limit fat and lean toward real heavy cream, full fat yogurts etc.

Me I am more a clean primal eater. I like lots of veggies, protein, some dairy. Berries are my go to fruit. Shrug - works for me when I follow it. I do add sweet potatoes, corn in season - picked from my garden, and rice occasionally.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    low carb eating is when your net carbs (carbs - fiber basically) are generally below 50 - 15 when first starting. Really low! That means no processed (white) foods, potatoes, pasta, rice, legumes, limited fruits, no sugar honey. they also do not limit fat and lean toward real heavy cream, full fat yogurts etc.

Me I am more a clean primal eater. I like lots of veggies, protein, some dairy. Berries are my go to fruit. Shrug - works for me when I follow it. I do add sweet potatoes, corn in season - picked from my garden, and rice occasionally.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    low carb is generally below 100 grams of carbs per day...keto is below 50. Despite being a healthy weight and very active, I still tend to have issues with my triglycerides and my blood glucose when I get a little loosey goosey with my diet...particularly with typical desert type items and beer.

I don't eat low carb though...oats, legumes, lentils, brown rice, potatoes, veggies, fruit, etc...all of that and more is a pretty regular part of my diet. I tend to have issues with my blood work when I start eating "junky" types of food outside of moderation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'm not low carb per se but I do limit or avoid carbs that have a high glycemic load. For example, I eat bread made from sprouted grains instead of that made from flour.

I don't go by a list but rather how my body has reacted to the food in the past.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Is it low carb if you are just eliminating certain foods by colour and not counting your carb macro so they stay under 100g

Isn't that just food racism? ;)
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the previous poster said. And to add: Cutting out white carbs gets you lower carb than the Standard American Diet, but they can get lower. much lower. People doing Keto start out with only 5% carbs. That's the extreme end of low carb. I eat about 100grams of carbs, 24grams fiber, 40 grams sugar/ day just from fruits and veggies. I'd say that's pretty moderate carb intake.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the previous poster said. And to add: Cutting out white carbs gets you lower carb than the Standard American Diet, but they can get lower. much lower. People doing Keto start out with only 5% carbs. That's the extreme end of low carb. I eat about 100grams of carbs, 24grams fiber, 40 grams sugar/ day just from fruits and veggies. I'd say that's pretty moderate carb intake.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »
    I consider myself a low carb eater because I avoid white carbs. Not really sure if that's what you consider low carb eating. What are the carbs you do eat and avoid?

well, in theory you could be even a high carber whilst avoiding white carbs (think about frutarians, for instance), but if you don't restrict your fruit/veggies, probably you fall in the moderate intake (between 20 to 40/45% of carbs).
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I prefer my carbs to mainly come from veggies, sweet potatoes, and some fruits, mainly berries. I just don't feel great eating refined carbs so try to avoid them. Don't consider myself low carb but try to keep well under 100 grams a day which seems to keep me on track and within my weight loss goals.
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've been keeping my net carbs below 50 and have lost about 20 pounds in 6 weeks (219->197 at 6 feet tall). I eat lots of non-starchy veggies, a bit of dairy, some nuts, and a bit of 85-90% cocoa dark chocolate. Fruit is an occasional treat. As well as the veggies, lots of eggs, fish, and meat.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'm keto, under 22 net at deficit, around 40 when I'm in maintenance. I only get carbs from fruit, vegetables, eggs, cheese, nuts and dark chocolate on a regular basis. I'll occasionally add something like almond or coconut bread, or beans. The carbs I cannot digest are certain yeasts, wheat flour, potatoes, and most rice. I have a bonus allergy that keeps a lot of otherwise benign things out of the mix like food coloring, some artificial syrups, extracts, most water drops, etc.

It's been long enough now that I don't feel hunger at all anymore, so tracking is doubly important, and there's no such thing as a "cheat" day unless I want to spend 3 days being sick. Though, there's not much temptation anyway, since most dessert things taste obnoxiously sweet to the point my teeth clench after a taste.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What does avoiding what carbs mean?
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

White carbs*

• angellll12
    Options
    Hmm what's this cocoa dark chocolate business :o good carbs?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

White carbs*

Yes, sorry, I meant white carbs, autocorrect problems :)
  • angellll12
    Options

White carbs*

Oh thought you misread.
    White carbs are foods that have been stripped of there nutrients.. So white bread, rice , potatoes , pastas

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

White carbs*

Oh thought you misread.
    White carbs are foods that have been stripped of there nutrients.. So white bread, rice , potatoes , pastas

laughssss

nope
  • angellll12
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

White carbs*

Oh thought you misread.

laughssss

nope

Kay.