I Think I Need to Eat More...Expert Advice Needed

Options
MFP has me at 1200 a day.
I can survive on that... technically, I have been doing it for the past 42 days, actually surviving on less, but some days it sucks!
Not because eating 1200 isn't enough...
It sucks because despite the fact that I do weigh and measure everything and I do exercise, I am so paranoid about underestimating my food (whether due to my own fault...because nobody's perfect, or due to the packaging info being incorrect, because we know it sometimes is) that I always try to eat below my 1200cals. I also am afraid of over estimating my exercise so I hardly ever eat them back and if I do it's a very small portion of them.

These are my statistics (which I recently entered into MFP to make sure I'm doing this correctly):
39 yrs
5ft2inches
116lbs (115.5 to be exact)
.5lb/per week weight loss

Just out of curiosity I have tried other calorie calculators but I find most of them confusing.
The only ones I did understand was on About.com and it told me I should be able to eat 1221cals and Freedieting.com and it told me 1271cals - w/out exercising and still lose weight. That right there is 21 - 71 cals over what MFP is telling me.

I'm scared that if I don't figure this out I may be one of those people that develops an eating disorder because I honestly am becoming afraid to eat. :/

When I started this I didn't worry so much, maybe it's because the weight fell off pretty quick...
But lately my fear has become really bad...coincidentally my weight loss has slowed down.
I have been trying to eat a little here and there throughout the day and not go too much above 1000 cals (for the above reasons). I usually average between 1,000-1100 (BTW -being near 1100 freaks me out!)
Lately I have been trying to save most of my calories for the end of the day because that is the only time I am home w/ my family and I want to be able to eat like a fairly normal person w/ them: including sweets. I want to be able to eat things I like and enjoy a meal and treats w/ my family...obviously in moderation. The days I go over my 1200cals, a rarity, are examples of this. And on those days I always try to squeeze in some exercise to make up for it

As I said I don't necessarily mind eating just 1200 a day, but I feel w/out any extra calories to act as a buffer that I must eat less.

So there you have it!

TIA for your assistance.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Go a little over on some days, maybe a little under on others. It doesn't have to be exact each day.

Or eat the 1221 or 1271 for six weeks or so and see what happens.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    How much more weight are you looking to lose?
  • jaga13
    Options
    How much more weight are you looking to lose?
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I want to get down to 110, so 5.5 more pounds
  • jaga13
    Options
    Are you exercising? If so, do you eat back some of those calories?
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose? Your BMI is 21.2 which is right smack in the middle of a healthy range.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I do exercise...more on some days than others... I don't eat them back or I eat very little of them back because of the whole worry of the "overestimation" of the exercise.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    How much more weight do you want to lose??? You should look pretty good @ 5' 2" and 116--I'm 5' 3" and weigh abt 119 and am eating between 1290 and 1330 (maintenance cals). I was eating around 1150 to abt 1220 cal along w/weight lifting and 15 to 20 min of cardio three times a week (and still lost weight). Right now I want to lose body fat (I'm @ 24%) and build muscle so may have to readjust. You don't want to eat to little because it is not good for your metabolism or maintaining your muscle mass (which burns calories).
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Why are you trying to lose? Your BMI is 21.2 which is right smack in the middle of a healthy range.

How do you know what my BMI is? Don't you need to "measure" me to know this?
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Go a little over on some days, maybe a little under on others. It doesn't have to be exact each day.

That makes sense but, as I said earlier, IDK if I am doing the calculator thing correctly, especially since MFP wont "allow" me more than 1200cals a day.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your doing great! I too save some of my calories for the end of the day as I try to eat with my family! Like tonight for example I am going to have chili! So I know beans are healthy but higher in calories so went for my walk today so in a sense you are doing the same thing. I know on my days off (2days a week) from exercising it sucks and I find myself hungry as well but those 2 days of using up ALL my calories is fine!
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited June 2015
    Options
    *double post*
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited June 2015
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    How much more weight do you want to lose??? You should look pretty good @ 5' 2" and 116--I'm 5' 3" and weigh abt 119 and am eating between 1290 and 1330 (maintenance cals). I was eating around 1150 to abt 1220 cal along w/weight lifting and 15 to 20 min of cardio three times a week (and still lost weight). Right now I want to lose body fat (I'm @ 24%) and build muscle so may have to readjust. You don't want to eat to little because it is not good for your metabolism or maintaining your muscle mass (which burns calories).
    Oh, but I don't (look good) too much flab in some areas...My genes weren't very nice to me... bony up top, flabby down below.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

That makes sense but, as I said earlier, IDK if I am doing the calculator thing correctly, especially since MFP wont "allow" me more than 1200cals a day.
    Calculators are estimates, anyway. If you think you need to eat more, eat more. See how it impacts your goals. Adjust, or not, from there.

BMI is based on height and weight. Aside from its other inherent problems, it skews the numbers for unusually tall or short people. Your "true" BMI -- which is theoretical, anyway -- is a bit higher than 21.8. but still solidly in the middle of the healthy range.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

No, that's your body fat percentage. BMI is just a height/weight calculation.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Nope. Height and weight, and ta-da, here's your BMI.
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

In regards to your real issue, that is having too much flab, lifting will get you the results you are looking for. Are you doing that already?
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Arliah wrote: »

Nope. Height and weight, and ta-da, here's your BMI.
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

In regards to your real issue, that is having too much flab, lifting will get you the results you are looking for. Are you doing that already?

No... I've dabbled but that's it.
    My main problem areas are my butt and thighs and my stomach. How does lifting help that? I thought lifting was for arms?
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Oh and thanks for the BMI info! Why was I thinking you needed some fancy machine to figure that out?! LOL!
  • jaga13
    Options
    Although MFP won't allow less than 1200, you can switch your Goal section to maintenance to quickly figure this calculation out. For example, if your maintenance mode at your current weight gives you 1450 calories, then .5 lb loss equals exactly 1200. If your maintenance is actually 1400, then you're right that 1200 isn't actually a true 250 deficit.

I also think it's a good idea to change your Goal to 110 and maintenance so you'll see exactly how many calories it will take to maintain that weight. Knowledge is power.

If going over 1000 calories is freaking you out, it may be time to start eating back your exercise calories. Or eat more and accept that it will take longer than 2 weeks to lose 1 lb, which makes sense since you are so close to goal.