Is it as good as it's gonna get?

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
I have been doing this for some 950 ish days. For the life of me I can’t get under the 120 pounds mark ( I am 4'11'', 39 years old) . It might be physical or psychological but I have been hitting the same wall.

I could exercise longer and harder, I could lower my calories…..and I could just start hating life ( I know, I tried)
I could just accept that it is as good as it’s gonna get…….but I do not feel satisfied with my body.

I have hit a plateau on my lifts and with my weight, so it is a bit discouraging.

Is there a point where you just have to accept to let go of your idea and accept reality?

Replies

• BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You are working against yourself.
    You KNOW you can't put on muscle without weight. You know you will hit a limit with how much you lift unless you increase muscle.

Which do you want? A number on the scale? Or a number on your dead lift? I don't think you will get both.

And if you are unhappy with your body, give it to me, I KNOW it would make me happy.

Big fat scary love girl.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is a firm set point for a healthy body. I've heard of this concept, but of course, I'm not there yet. I know that I personally will not see the low end of my "healthy BMI" range because I actually won't be healthy.

I do know of people that have run into the same problem though.

Sorry, I don't have much else to offer, but I would like to come back to see the replies that you get.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You are working against yourself.
    You KNOW you can't put on muscle without weight. You know you will hit a limit with how much you lift unless you increase muscle.

Which do you want? A number on the scale? Or a number on your dead lift? I don't think you will get both.

And if you are unhappy with your body, give it to me, I KNOW it would make me happy.

Big fat scary love girl.

LOL I know you would like to have my body :wink:

What I would like is to lower my bf% more than the scale but I am stuck at 23 % (more or less)
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i am curious how many calories you eat
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    why are you stuck? is it because you are sloppy with your diet/ logging or you are doing everything "right" and not losing
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for some 950 ish days. For the life of me I can’t get under the 120 pounds mark ( I am 4'11'', 39 years old) . It might be physical or psychological but I have been hitting the same wall.

I could exercise longer and harder, I could lower my calories…..and I could just start hating life ( I know, I tried)
    I could just accept that it is as good as it’s gonna get…….but I do not feel satisfied with my body.

I have hit a plateau on my lifts and with my weight, so it is a bit discouraging.

Is there a point where you just have to accept to let go of your idea and accept reality?

Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. There comes a time where you simply cannot improve body composition due to diminishing returns. This usually is a side effect of lower muscle mass.

I had to come to the same realization that simply dropping more weight wasn't going to make my body look better.

Fast forward 2 years, and I look better weighing 20 more pounds...

Because I've bulked and cut several times and increased muscle mass significantly.

Its a hard hill to climb, but it can be done.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. There comes a time where you simply cannot improve body composition due to diminishing returns. This usually is a side effect of lower muscle mass.

I had to come to the same realization that simply dropping more weight wasn't going to make my body look better.

Fast forward 2 years, and I look better weighing 20 more pounds...

Because I've bulked and cut several times and increased muscle mass significantly.

Its a hard hill to climb, but it can be done.

But Yanicka did a bulk not that long ago.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and about weight too. I still want to lose 10-15 pounds. Been stuck for a while but I also know that I haven't been as strict. When i started I cheated once a month and made sure it was in my calorie range. I cheat more now cause im at a more comfortable weight and with exercise I don't gain. I think I am going to start carb cycling and maybe doing a few days a week of cardio in the morning before I eat. Know another girl our height who did that and shes about 105 and looks great. Sucks being short cause its just THAT much harder for us. I look good in clothing but still have FAT! Bleh just got to work harder and eat as well as I did when i started. We can do it together girl!
  • xbeth77x
    xbeth77x Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height, am at a similar weight, and am going through the same exact thing! I'm starting to think I will never hit my goal weight. I wish you were still accepting friends :( Sorry I bring no wisdom, haha! But I feel your pain!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So yeah, sounds like you are going to either have to lower your calories or stay stuck. It sucks but there it is. Now you have to decide if it's worth it. This is my problem too. Half the time I decide I'm pretty happy with my body and no, losing a few more body fat percentages isn't worth it.

Have you tried things like intermittent fasting, or calorie cycling to make the deficit easier to handle?
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    PS> look at your photos.you look A-MA-ZING!. My stomach doesn't look anywhere as good as yours! I am lowering my cal intake again, I lost more when I was at a lower calorie intake. I upped it to about 1500 when doing insanity but haven't lost at all in months so back to the low cals it is! God I want your stomach!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    the number on the scale is only one way to measure yourself. get a tape measure and see if the jigley fat has been replaced by more compact muscle.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    What do your workouts consist of. This will be helpful.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    Watch "How To Look Like That Guy" it shows you what goes into getting what you may want. You can do it anyone can, but you may have a few tears from being tired from a deficit.
    I think as long as you are doing this for health & fitness get used to the way your body looks at fit & healthy because even if you achieve the fat % you want with a deficit you may not be able to maintain it very long.

Also why are you going by weight? Go by fat %, with weight you are not only getting fat, but organs, bones, muscle and water. Throw away the scale and start looking at your fat % =) Good luck!
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    okay wait I just looked at your photo's, why are you going by weight? at this point you are almost there and I don't know what you are weighing. You have a small tight tummy. Your back is very slim and your legs are great... I think you should get calipers. When you get to "perfect" let me know how easy it is to maintain, I've always wanted to be where you are now, and if you want to improve I'm like woah okay great, that's awesome, tell me how it goes so when I get to your size I know if dropping to a lower fat % can be maintained. xo :)