Why am I not hungry/why do I have so much more willpower

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, so I had this plateau. You know the thing. It lasted many months. I had a lot less motivation to watch my calories. I also had an injury (I had flat feet, which finally got solved with insoles). After the injury healed (a month ago) I started running again; during the injury I swam/walked/cycled a bit, but now I was able to do much more, and thus burn a lot more calories (without pain!). Now I also have a lot more willpower to make sure I eat healthy foods and I eat less calories. So I am losing again, quite rapidly (0.5 kg/week).

My experience is that exercise increases willpower, but still I am surprised by it. When you are at a plateau for very long (and injured just as long) you eventually think that it will last forever. But I am glad that I found my way out and that it is over, though I learned a lot from it.

Do you have similar experiences?

Edit: I post this because I just want to let you know that there is hope, that "this too shall pass" can also be true for plateaus and injuries. It may take some time, but just don't panic, take a break and try some new things until you get where you want to be. I wish you all the best! :)

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Exercise for me, increases appetite. But it also increases my alloted calories per day, so I even out.

I can't say that, for me, it has made my willpower better. Though I have found that cravings for certain foods lessens the healthier I get.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It always seems like every plateau and every slide is going to last forever, even when I'm looking at a spreadsheet that shows clearly that neither one does.

I don't know that exercise has changed my willpower. I still want what I want, but I'm pretty on board with just having less of it at a time. Or at least having it less often, because when I eat Mexican food, I'm all in.
  • geministyle
    geministyle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find that when I exercise more frequently, the less likely I am to want to "mess up" by eating too much. Also, the more I workout the more I WANT to workout.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have anything to do with my willpower, personally.
  • Seigla
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Do you mean that exercise does not help you increase your willpower, or do you mean that additional willpower does not help you lose weight?

Either way: the additional willpower helps me a lot to control my impulses a bit better, but also helpful to work on improving my habits. But then again I have ADD, which has a lot to do with impulse control/self control, and exercise is an excellent way to treat that; thus exercise is a great way to keep ADD under control (in so many ways). Untreated people (who don't use meds and/or exercise) with ADD have a higher risk of becoming overweight/obese, because of their difficulty with impulse control.
  • gracehine22
    gracehine22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me in the past few months or so. I honestly have no idea why. It's probably because school is out for me and I'm not working so I have a lot of time on my hands and I'm not stressed at all. Stress and sleep deprivation absolutely KILL any willpower I have for dieting... You're probably right about the exercise thing too. Once I've been working out for about a week straight I have more motivation to keep up the streak.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Seigla wrote: »

Do you mean that exercise does not help you increase your willpower, or do you mean that additional willpower does not help you lose weight?

Either way: the additional willpower helps me a lot to control my impulses a bit better, but also helpful to work on improving my habits. But then again I have ADD, which has a lot to do with impulse control/self control, and exercise is an excellent way to treat that; thus exercise is a great way to keep ADD under control (in so many ways). Untreated people (who don't use meds and/or exercise) with ADD have a higher risk of becoming overweight/obese, because of their difficulty with impulse control.

I mean, exercise has no impact on my appetite. The only thing that does is my hormones, but you're a man, so you're spared that, lol.
  • Seigla
    Options

I mean, exercise has no impact on my appetite. The only thing that does is my hormones, but you're a man, so you're spared that, lol.

Ah ok, check! :)

Yeah I am very happy about that! I don't know how you women manage to survive with all those hormone fluctuations every month! ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Lifting increases my appetite the following day BADLY, cardio decreases it. I try to make sure I do cardio on my off days.

That's for now. The one thing I've learned in almost seven and a half months of dieting? Things change up as you move along all the time. Just when I think I've got this down and know all the patterns of everything, something changes up.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    For me, yes. If I don't work out somehow I loose interest in dieting FAST! I don't think it's a universal thing but it certainly keeps me on track!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Yeah I am very happy about that! I don't know how you women manage to survive with all those hormone fluctuations every month! ;)

We cope by lashing out in anger at the people we care dearest for. And then crying in frustration because we didn't mean to. Ending up with a bowl of ice cream and failed gym attempts. We blame all our weight gain... Ok all our problems... on TOM. And then ask for forgiveness when he leaves.

Kidding.

Not kidding.

Kidding.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

We cope by lashing out in anger at the people we care dearest for. And then crying in frustration because we didn't mean to. Ending up with a bowl of ice cream and failed gym attempts. We blame all our weight gain... Ok all our problems... on TOM. And then ask for forgiveness when he leaves.

Kidding.

Not kidding.

Kidding.

Actually, this sounds about right.

• AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

Kidding.

Not kidding.

Kidding.

Actually, this sounds about right.

Sad but oh-soooo true...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

drPCsDi.gif
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cardio can suppress appetite in some, increase it in others, make no difference for others. I think it depends a bit too on if it's vigorous, moderate, slow, too. Moderate-vigorous cardio decreases my appetite. (I don't think it has anything to do with "willpower")
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

It's really not that bad. I'm nearly 35 and barely get any negative emotions around then. Maybe my uterus is broke.

ETA: pregnancy on the other hand...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Seigla, yes - Physical activity helps bump up the production of your brain's feel-good neurotransmitters, called endorphins so if stress, depression, anxiety, etc., makes you prone to self-medicating with food, exercise can help with that.

Are you finding it's a case of consciously saying No or that you just don't want it?

I didn't get enough sleep last night or exercise today, so I had to consciously say No to the mini cups of B&G in my freezer, but most of the time I don't even think about them unless I've planned for them and budgeted them in.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

drPCsDi.gif

This is me!