Losing weight and building muscle.

Options
Hi I am 23 years old 6 ft 1 and 232 lbs.

Ive been working out for about 2 weeks hitting the gym doing a little jogging and hitting the weights.

Ive been doing 5reps and 5 sets, trying to lift as heavy as i can. On my off days i just do light jogging going about 4 mph on the treadmill.

I recently read Online someone had posted that you would eat heavy protein and lift hard every

other day and on the rest days fast and do light cardio training. Will this actualy be effective.

I already have decent muscle size i really just want to lose my stomach and saggy breasts, and

maintain/gain a little muscle. (obv want to lose weight as fast as i can)

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit is for weight loss. Lifting is to maintain muscle mass while you're losing. It's unnecessary to fast on rest days, It's silly actually.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Just focus on lifting to save LBM and stay at a deficit to lose fat. You can work on building muscle once you are lean enough, with a bulk or recomp.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have a question too if that's ok.

I get I can't build muscle, but can I still work on the once I have and "shape" "tone" them as I am losing weight?
    I know it might sound like a silly question; whenever I start a weight lifting routine while I am on a "diet", I noticing definition in my arms and legs.
    I am on a calorie deficit so these are not new muscles I am gaining..right?
    I have only been weight lifting for 2 weeks and been on my weight loss journey for a month but I already see definition in my arms and shoulders.
    I have been lifting weights before at different times in my life, and I live a pretty active life. Is it possible this is just muscle showing itself under all the fat?

Sorry if this makes no sense. Thanks anyways.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have a question too if that's ok.

I get I can't build muscle, but can I still work on the once I have and "shape" "tone" them as I am losing weight?
    I know it might sound like a silly question; whenever I start a weight lifting routine while I am on a "diet", I noticing definition in my arms and legs.
    I am on a calorie deficit so these are not new muscles I am gaining..right?
    I have only been weight lifting for 2 weeks and been on my weight loss journey for a month but I already see definition in my arms and shoulders.
    I have been lifting weights before at different times in my life, and I live a pretty active life. Is it possible this is just muscle showing itself under all the fat?

Sorry if this makes no sense. Thanks anyways.

You cannot "tone" your muscles. They can grow, stay the same, or atrophy if they are not used enough. You notice definition when you lose fat because more of the muscle you already have is revealed. If you look through some of my profile pictures, you can see I have some definition...I did all my lifting on a deficit, all of that muscle was just beneath the fat.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    ^
    :) Thanks. That makes sense now. I was a little confused before.