Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Maintain or deficit for an upcoming wedding? (Bridesmaid)

Hi all,

In just about a month, I'm going to be a bridesmaid in one of my best friends' wedding! I've just gotten my dress, and it fits like a glove. Not loose, not snug. Fits perfect. I'm really torn on whether I should keep my deficit or maintain at this point. I don't anticipate a drastic weight loss if I maintain my deficit (I'm at .5lb/week), but I'm not sure if I should eat near maintenance to be safe.

What would you do?

Replies

• Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Keep on with the deficit
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Depends on how much $ you have for alterations! Lol seriously though, I used to run a bridal shop. If you have a good seamstress, keep up with the deficit! Also, adjusting to maintenance can be trickier than it sounds and you don't want to end up gaining!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    A month shouldn't cause it to be loose enough to look bad, but there's nothing wrong with taking a break from a deficit (plus for balancing hormones).
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    I'd keep on with the deficit. You never know if you will be retaining water or bloating that day. it shouldn't be that dramatic a difference to be detrimental.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I would stick with the deficit. 4 weeks isn't enough to make that big of a difference, but just in case... I would rather have my dress a little loose, than too tight.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    You won't lose enough for it to matter much. A couple lbs doesn't really change an entire size for most people. You also could always wear a thicker bra or something to fill in if needed.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I would do both...take a two week diet break and then get back on the deficit for two weeks. Then you get the best of both worlds, a little break, but then a little deficit and maybe a pound lost, which won't make the dress too loose but might feel nice.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I would do both...take a two week diet break and then get back on the deficit for two weeks. Then you get the best of both worlds, a little break, but then a little deficit and maybe a pound lost, which won't make the dress too loose but might feel nice.

I think I'll try this! Thanks for the input everyone.

Two weeks of maintenance and then a couple weeks of deficit right before will help me bank some extra calories for the event. I'll also be home for an extended period of time with a rambunctious pup around the time I'd restart a deficit, so I'll be able to get some regular exercise in at that point.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Maybe keep on with the deficit for another two weeks, try the dress on again and see if it's fitting any differently. If necessary then you can get it altered, or eat a bit of a surplus to fill it out properly again.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member

Two weeks of maintenance and then a couple weeks of deficit right before will help me bank some extra calories for the event. I'll also be home for an extended period of time with a rambunctious pup around the time I'd restart a deficit, so I'll be able to get some regular exercise in at that point.

I was thinking that too. Enjoy your break!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member

I was thinking that too. Enjoy your break!

Thank you! :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I would probably go to the smallest weightloss before maintenance. That way your still losing but not losing enough that your dress looks too big etc
  • jitterbugginlovin
    jitterbugginlovin Posts: 11 Member
    I wouldn't do a full maintenance month. I think id just decrease my deficit a little. I feel like i would want a cushion cause weddings can be diet kills between pre_wedding festivities. Or if i got bloated for one reason or another the extra lb could help me not feel so icky.