Where I want to be, what do I do next?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm just over 5'6, 19 years old, and weigh 125lbs.
I'm in the gym 4-5x per week, usually about 25 minutes of cardio + 40 minutes strength exercises, rotating the parts of my body that I focus on. I also run several miles once or twice a week, and am generally active and always moving, walk or bike everywhere.
A year ago, I weighed 109lbs at the same height, but I felt I looked too thin so decided to start gaining weight. I started eating everything in sight and working out, without paying too much attention to calories. So in the past year, I've managed to gain 16lbs, without really tracking calories. I'm really happy with all of the progress I've made (stronger, visible definition, etc.) but since the summer's coming up I'd like to lose the tiniest bit of fat off of my legs and lower belly, but basically maintain.
I have to eat a very large amount of food to gain any weight, just out of curiosity I ate the way I would normally for the past 3 days and logged it, and each day I was at 3500+ calories, which from what I've been reading is quite a bit. However, I've been eating when I'm hungry and do not feel excessively full on this amount, which has been basically the same volume of food for the past year. Does it make sense that I've gained 16 pounds on 3500? My diary is open, I believe. Please ignore the 1200 goal, I'm not following that at all.
If I want to generally maintain where I'm at right now, how many calories should I be eating?
Could my body react negatively to a decrease in calories? Do I have to ease into it?
Lastly, could decreasing calories to maintenance affect my performance in the gym?
Thanks!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If I want to generally maintain where I'm at right now, how many calories should I be eating?
    As you seem to be an outlier then it's pointless trying to estimate with the various calculators/estimators/formulas. Experimentation, consistency and watching your weight over a period of time is the only way. I'm an outlier the other way to tune of about 300 cals a day (sadly!).

Could my body react negatively to a decrease in calories?
    Yes if you go into a deficit, depends on size of deficit and how long you maintain that deficit. Tiredness, decreased performance, cranky, worse recovery from exercise.....
    Might have an emotional reaction to reducing intake of course.

Do I have to ease into it?
    No.
    Personal choice. I've done both approaches.

Lastly, could decreasing calories to maintenance affect my performance in the gym?
    Would be surprised as maintenance should be adequate for all your needs.