How much weight do you have to lose before you notice it in the mirror?

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
Losing 0.5 kg is enough for me to see that I've become thinner now. I remember in the beginning I had to lose 3-4 kg or so before I could see any difference.

What about you?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I have to lose about 20-30lbs (9-13kg) before I notice, and even then it's only noticing in progress pictures. During my whole weight loss (55lbs) I never noticed a difference in the mirror at any point.

I have a photo from about this time last year when I was 17lbs lighter, which I want to get down to again. Though I took a photo of myself now and comparing them I absolutely can't see any difference. Part of the reason I put the weight back on was because I didn't notice any difference in the mirror, so didn't know I was putting the weight on.

I wish I could notice differences as small as half a kg lol
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    mine was 2.5 stone as per my profile pic x
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options

That's a huge difference you look fab :) well done!
  • Seigla
    Options
    I have to lose about 20-30lbs (9-13kg) before I notice, and even then it's only noticing in progress pictures. During my whole weight loss (55lbs) I never noticed a difference in the mirror at any point.

I have a photo from about this time last year when I was 17lbs lighter, which I want to get down to again. Though I took a photo of myself now and comparing them I absolutely can't see any difference. Part of the reason I put the weight back on was because I didn't notice any difference in the mirror, so didn't know I was putting the weight on.

Well eventually you will notice smaller and smaller differences... so if you have to lose a large amount it takes a while before you start noticing. It's like removing the layers of an onion; the first layers are big, but the inner layers are small. Also, the relative difference that removing the first layer makes to the onion only like 5% thinner, while removing one of the inner layers (which for the argument's sake has the same thickness) makes the onion like 30% thinner.

And a third reason that weight loss starts becoming more noticeable later on is that your bones and muscles start appearing, changing the shape of your body; at first there is only more fat under the fat that you lose.

So just hang on, it's normal that you don't notice much yet! ;)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Seigla wrote: »

Well eventually you will notice smaller and smaller differences... so if you have to lose a large amount it takes a while before you start noticing. It's like removing the layers of an onion; the first layers are big, but the inner layers are small. Also, the relative difference that removing the first layer makes to the onion only like 5% thinner, while removing one of the inner layers (which for the argument's sake has the same thickness) makes the onion like 30% thinner.

And a third reason that weight loss starts becoming more noticeable later on is that your bones and muscles start appearing, changing the shape of your body; at first there is only more fat under the fat that you lose.

So just hang on, it's normal that you don't notice much yet! ;)

Well... that 55lbs I lost took me down to 4lbs above underweight :P The 17lbs I'm not noticing at the moment is the difference between (at 5'4) 129lbs and 112lbs.

But yeah I know what you mean in theory, I think I'm just rubbish at noticing differences in people's bodies lol
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »

thanks hun - took alot of hard work.. its been a year so far of ups and downs at christmas etc, but its slowly coming off.
  • Seigla
    Options

thanks hun - took alot of hard work.. its been a year so far of ups and downs at christmas etc, but its slowly coming off.

Well done! I guess that you only need to lose 1-1.5 now to make see a similar difference; remember that when losing becomes harder to lose (which happens over time)... you'll also get a bigger reward for it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    It took me 10 or 12 kg before I really started noticing a difference. And even now at 15 kg down, there are days I think I look the same as I did before I started losing weight.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Seigla wrote: »

Well done! I guess that you only need to lose 1-1.5 now to make see a similar difference; remember that when losing becomes harder to lose (which happens over time)... you'll also get a bigger reward for it.

yea another 2 stone for me, its bloody hard work, but ill keep plodding along :)
  • Sho0gy_D
    Sho0gy_D Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18 lbs so far and all I've really noticed is that my gut doesn't stick out as much anymore. More importantly to me though, I feel great!!
  • arian10daddy
    arian10daddy Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    looking thinner may not necessarily need you to lose weight at all... You can tone your muscles in the first few days and would feel the difference without losing an ounce of weight! ;)