KMH versus MPH

Options
I use a treadmill which is set for KM. When I put my exercise into myfitnesspal, it uses MPH.
If I'm walking on the treadmill, 4.5kmh is a fast pace, and 5.5kmh is a very fast pace, but if I convert that to mph for myfitnesspal, its only 2.8mph, which is classed as 'moderate pace, walking dog'. I couldn't walk my dogs at that pace, they would be running! Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're treadmill is definitely set to kph? 4.5kph is an average pace whereas 4.5mph would be a fast walk. (To me, anyway. You may well find it different)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    initially,yes.
    search walking. or running kph in cardio exercises.
    minimum run speed is 8kph,but walking speeds in there are slower.
    you can also custom add in "my exercises".
    good luck.
  • fionacarroll56
    fionacarroll56 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It states kmh on the dial but yea, I'm definitely doing a fast walk. If I have it on 5.8kph on the treadmill I'm breaking a sweat. I'm a long time walker so I'm not so unfit as to break out in a sweat at 3mph! 4.5 kph is about the speed I would walk the dog, but on the treadmill, I'm really stepping out. Maybe the treadmill setting is wrong, as the speed it says and the speed I'm going don't make sense. Thanks for your help.
    When I've got it set at 5.5kmh I could easily run if I wanted to, but I'm doing a fast walk because I get knee strain through being overweight. I will run more and more as the weight comes off and the knee strengthens up.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    That sounds very much like what I would expect, it really does sound as if your machine is simply showing the wrong units.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,221 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill which is set for KM. When I put my exercise into myfitnesspal, it uses MPH.
    If I'm walking on the treadmill, 4.5kmh is a fast pace, and 5.5kmh is a very fast pace, but if I convert that to mph for myfitnesspal, its only 2.8mph, which is classed as 'moderate pace, walking dog'. I couldn't walk my dogs at that pace, they would be running! Does anyone else have this problem?

You can set myfitnesspal to metric. That might solve the problem.

• fionacarroll56
    Options
    Thanks. I was starting to get really confused
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It states kmh on the dial but yea, I'm definitely doing a fast walk. If I have it on 5.8kph on the treadmill I'm breaking a sweat. I'm a long time walker so I'm not so unfit as to break out in a sweat at 3mph! 4.5 kph is about the speed I would walk the dog, but on the treadmill, I'm really stepping out. Maybe the treadmill setting is wrong, as the speed it says and the speed I'm going don't make sense. Thanks for your help.
    When I've got it set at 5.5kmh I could easily run if I wanted to, but I'm doing a fast walk because I get knee strain through being overweight. I will run more and more as the weight comes off and the knee strengthens up.

How tall are you? I think stride length might make a difference here because for me 6km/h (3.7mph) is a decent to speedy walking pace and 9km/h (5.6mph) is a steady jog pace .. I tip over into needing to jog at about 7-8km/h

also do you set an incline on your treadmill because you possibly should consider at least an incline of 1% to replicate road walking / jogging
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If I'm walking on the treadmill, 4.5kmh is a fast pace, and 5.5kmh is a very fast pace, but if I convert that to mph for myfitnesspal, its only 2.8mph

The difficulty here is comparing your perceived exertion with someone elses and trying to make a judgement on that. For me 6kph is an average walking pace. Slower than that is uncomfortably slow for me, and I wouldn't be keeping up with my dog anyway.

In terms of calibrating your own rate of perceived exertion, do you use something like Endomondo or Runkeeper on your phone to assess the paces that you're doing out in the real?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    People are bad enough at estimating their own exertion, one persons vigorous is anothers moderate.
  • fionacarroll56
    Options
    I have the treadmill on a slight incline yes. Regarding stride, my natural stride is fairly short. I'm 5'3" tall. When I'm on the treadmill walking I do long stride periods as well as my natural stride at the higher rate. I'm s fast walker naturally. People often complain at me to slow down so I don't think it just feels fast because I'm short of that I'm a slow unfit person because I'm not. Im a fairly fit, fast person who has indulged in too much good food
  • fionacarroll56
    Options
    I might invest in a Fitbit. Then I'll know exactly what I'm doing