What was your 'no more!' Moment

Options

Replies

• cazbit
    cazbit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    gurlofgod wrote: »
    I think I've had a few little moments that build up to become a "No More" moment! Definitely many over the years. This time was realizing I was avoiding clothes that used to be too big for me because now they're too small. Uhg.

I've had that, my fat day clothes became my 'need to lose weight to get back into them clothes'

I've loved reading all your different stories, it's so interesting finding out how everyone came to be here.
  • lukos05
    lukos05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Looking at this first picture from Dec 2007 pushed me to work my butt off in 2008. qan4s4hqnmri.jpg

This picture was in 2010. r900nw19ol8z.jpg

I was able to keep it off until I got pregnant in 2012. Now I am fighting baby weight but I keep using the first picture as a 'never again' reminder and the second as a 'goal' reminder.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    In 2012, my mum died of a heart attack and it kicked my butt into gear. I lost 40 lbs in the following year then put it right back on over the winter / holidays. As my doctor said, fear only lasts about 6 months.

Last summer, my fat butt tipped my kayak over in the middle of the lake (in my defense, the dog was acting silly and there were waves...) and could NOT GET BACK ON. I struggled and used every bit of strength I had and was near to exhaustion. :'( I stayed in the water and hung on to my boyfriend's boat as he towed me and my boat to safety (the dog got on his, not impressed at all with our situation but glad he had his life jacket on). I felt incapable and vulnerable and I did not like it. Not to mention the pictures we took of each other on our boats made me look like a tumor on top of a 10' kayak. I never want to feel like that again. I want to be able to do. I'm down 41 lbs already and still holding strong.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When i was at the gym and realized I've been running like crazy for years and i haven't lost a pound, obviously I'm eating too much. Started tracking that day
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've had some health concerns for the past few years (thyroid, cholesterol) but amazingly they weren't enough to motivate me and get me to stick with it. Just the thought of cutting back on food was enough to send me on a binge. Then, I found out I was prediabetic. My grandmother was diabetic (eventually lost one of her legs due to related complications) my mother is diabetic, my husband's grandfather was diabetic (also lost one leg to related complications) and actually died from diabetes related issues, I have diabetic aunts/uncles and cousins. There are a lot of diseases that you can't do a thing about in this world, but Type 2 diabetes happens to be one that you CAN do something about. So, I decided to break the cycle in my family, start eating right, and hopefully lose some weight to boot. I started almost 7 weeks ago and as of today I am down 19 pounds. I also just happened to have some labwork done today and I believe they were running a full panel. I'm hoping to get back some good news.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    For me it took a guy breaking my heart and dating this little petite girl and then having my button of my work pants come flying off cartoon style. So far I am about 12 pounds down so I am pretty happy!
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the way I looked in pictures
  • drzoltar
    drzoltar Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mine was my workplace. I used to work at a very well known Seattle company where the average age of people was around 25. They could work long hours, go out partying, eat whatever they wanted and still looked great. I looked at myself and realized I was the "old, fat guy" in the office. I couldn't do anything about old (I was 40 at the time) but I could do something about fat. I also realized I was being passed over for opportunities because of how I looked.
  • MillyFleurs
    MillyFleurs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple. I've always had a tendency to put on weight so in my teens I worked out often and would monitor my intake when I started getting soft around the edges. Then I moved far away from family and in with a boy who, in the beginning, had no cares about what he ate. It was a stressful existence and I developed his habits and turned to food for comfort. I kept working out intermittently and walking, but would get discouraged. Back then I didn't understand that you can't outrun a fork.

I was 118 - 122 at nineteen and when I went to the doctor at twenty-two I was something like 202 I think? Possibly as high as 217 but I don't really remember. Anyways, she diagnosed me with hypothyroidism and obesity and gave me a hormone and phentermine and I got down to 160 and at some point I moved back home. However, I had moved back home because I had lost my job (and health insurance) and within a month had another job (no health insurance) that had me driving a pretty wide range daily and I slowly started packing the pounds back on (to the extent my new boyfriend dumped me). This went on for a long time and a lot happened and I was ever frustrated because I just couldn't get that you can't outrun a fork.

Finally when I was twenty-five I resigned myself to being overweight forever, but I could at least make healthier decisions. Out of nowhere I lost 15 pounds. So I decided to actually try, joined MFP, used FitnessBlender, and lost 40 pounds in a year. I met a great guy, started back at school, joined a gym.

But then the great guy became a firefighter, and he has a daughter so I started taking care of her when he was on shift, and he's in the middle of a custody battle so the schedule is weird and crazy. So at the end of the school year I have a 3.9 GPA and have gained back almost 25 pounds, and somewhere along the way developed IBS. When going to the hospital for the IBS (because we didn't know what it was, and people who've never experienced it just have no idea how painful and sickening it can be), I stepped on the scale, saw the number, and decided it was time to get back at it and make it last. In my psychology class we had gone over weight set point so I've changed the way I think of my diet to years rather than months. It also helped that I recently and successfully quit smoking (habit formed while working at restaurant, lasted a couple of years) and beating that addiction is helping with my food addiction. Also the only plus of an IBS flare up is that it's a fairly effective appetite suppressant.
  • suefromgrays
    suefromgrays Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My defining moment was when I was going to a posh dinner ...my grandaughter who was 5years old said nanny your fat is lovely but you are so ooooo fat .
    lost 5 stone...my grandaughter is now coming up 8 years and says she doesn't remember saying it .
  • DylanThomas2
    DylanThomas2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Watching the girl I have been best friends with for 5 years and been in love with for 3 fall in love with another guy because he is fit then having her tell me that I am smarter and funnier and more fun to be around than he is sort of set me off on this path I decided it was time to let go of my past life and start working to be the best version of myself I could be. I have since gotten over her and have kept on this path because it makes me feel better about myself and to love myself unconditionally this epiphany has changed my entire life I am stronger physically emotionally and mentally than I have ever been and I crave more and more.
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    A couple things got me started on my journey...I went to the doctors this past May and I could not believe the scale said 206.4. I was so sad and embarassed. The very next morning I started a food diary. I had already been exercising. I cannot believe the small amount of food it takes to reach my calorie goal for the day. A little over 2 weeks later and here I am, 8 lbs lighter and feeling great. Less knee problems, less sweat, less acid re flux, less fatigue, happier, lower HR, a pants size smaller. WOOOO!!!!! :)
  • cazbit
    Options
    Watching the girl I have been best friends with for 5 years and been in love with for 3 fall in love with another guy because he is fit then having her tell me that I am smarter and funnier and more fun to be around than he is sort of set me off on this path I decided it was time to let go of my past life and start working to be the best version of myself I could be. I have since gotten over her and have kept on this path because it makes me feel better about myself and to love myself unconditionally this epiphany has changed my entire life I am stronger physically emotionally and mentally than I have ever been and I crave more and more.

I was totally in love with a guy I worked with years ago and a not so subtle co worker said to me one day 'you know you would have him already if you were 3 stone lighter'. Errrr ouch!!!

So I totally get where you are coming from.
  • cazbit
    Options
    Well done on all the amazing weight losses and progress to date!
  • blueridgekat
    blueridgekat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was soooo tired of looking for clothes in the Woman's Plus department and still finding NOTHING that looked good on me. I see sooo many cute clothes out there and have been saying, for what seems like forever, "One day I will lose enough weight to wear those." Time for that "one day!!"
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I was soooo tired of looking for clothes in the Woman's Plus department and still finding NOTHING that looked good on me. I see sooo many cute clothes out there and have been saying, for what seems like forever, "One day I will lose enough weight to wear those." Time for that "one day!!"

Gosh ....I can't even tell you how much I hate the Women's Plus department. When I get down to a size 16 and can shop in the regular department I am sooo throwing a party.
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to be a self defence instructor. Then M.E. happened and my health deteriorated (over a seven year period), to the point that I couldn't even walk my children to school, without spending the following two weeks in agony and exhaustion. My journey isn't about losing weight so much as beating M.E. and getting fit again. Most importantly, being able to walk my children to school (and play, run and swim with them!), teach them good health skills and teach self defence again :)
  • VictoriaFisk
    VictoriaFisk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    looking at myself in the mirror best side on, stomach sucked in and convincing myself that I don't look that bad..... finally looked front on without sucking in and realised that as upsetting as it is im fat.... harsh but true. avoiding catching up with old friends from school as I look that dramtically different - in a bad way : ( can either feel sorry for myself or fix it and in less that one year (hopefully) look like the girl people remember me as.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I watched unhealthy mums on the beach struggling to keep up with their kids (not judging, they were spending time with their kids that's what counts) and I didn't want to be that mum finding it a struggle to play. When my daughter was 4 I was on the beach feeling overweight and unhealthy and I realised that I had become that mum, struggling...then it took a few more months of going about it the wrong way before I joined MFP and got back to fairly fit!
  • go4me1
    go4me1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was looking at pictures from when I graduated and then I was looking at myself in the marrior.