Is wieght loss an appropriate thing to put on a resume?

Options
13»

Replies

• littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    congrats on the weight loss, but don't put that on your resume'.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    no. I'd be careful about putting anything about your personal hobbies and achievements too....you can never know how these will bias people.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    NO, absolutely not. Never. No matter what! Don't even be tempted to bring it up.
    Seriously. No.
    Good luck with the job, dress your best and smile, smile, smile because you have the SECRET strength to know that you lost a hunk of weight and can do anything.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    So i was thinking about this the other day, when i was applying for a new positions at my office, any may submit some more Resumes elsewhere.

i have lost 80 lbs so far, still working on it, and im damn proud of it! It shows dedication, and determination! and willingness to work hard for what you want? right?!

So couldn't it go at the bottom under the achievements and awards?

While it could go under 'achievements', It's about as relevant to most jobs as the color of your hair. Maybe if you're a nutritionist or a physical therapist or something, but if you're an office manager or something? No.

For the record, I don't care if you hike, if you read books, or like long walks on the beach... that's all stuff to talk about in the interview, as far as I'm concerned, and it doesn't belong on a general purpose resume.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I like to somehow mention to people that I've been able to lose weight, while in the actual interview. It shows dedication and determination, without actually saying how awesome you are :-)

"Give me an example of a goal you've set out to reach and how you got there..."

Perfect opportunity.
  • taromina2003
    taromina2003 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are applying to Subway to replace Jared.

LMAO! good one.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Only if you spell "wieght loss" right. spelling errors are frowned upon.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I'm a hiring manager and there are two problems I would have with something like that. First is that unless it is related to the job you are applying for, you are taking up my time reading irrelevant information, and that would make me question the applicant's judgement and I'd wonder if I was going to constantly be given irrelevant information on the job because the applicant can't tell what is appropriate for a given situation.

Second, since there have been discrimination lawsuits filed by people claiming they were fired for being overweight, unattractive, etc. many hiring managers would just avoid the potential by not interviewing you. You may have lost a lot of weight, but the person reading your resume can't tell if you are still overweight, reached your goal, etc. Why run the risk of interviewing someone who might sue you if you don't hire them? Low probability, and I'm not implying you would, but if the hiring manager has other qualified people to choose from, why take the risk? It's a red flag that you are going out of your way to make sure I'm aware of something that I'm not allowed to use as a decision factor. That's what people do who go on interviews with the goal of being able to sue the company. It's safer to not interview you.

So, the bottom line is that it won't open any doors for you, but could you out.

Interesting points.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    When i interviewed for my current job, one of the questions asked how i have recently improved/ bettered myself. i used the fact that i had recently lost 60 lbs.

This I think is okay. You're answering an open-ended question. You're not formally volunterring this information on a resume.

It musta been, i got the job :)