Options
1235»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    krickie3 wrote: »
    Several people asked me what my TDEE was. I didn't even know what that meant. I googled it and used two different online calculators. Inputting the same info in both, one said it was 1963 calories and one said it was 2228 calories. How do I know which is correct and what does it really mean anyway? Also what is BMR? I saw that one one of the sites and it said mine was 1383 or something like that.

They are all estimates..

When you have weighed all your food and logged accordingly for about 3 weeks you can find out your personal TDEE base on your stats.

Use this formula

Total calories consumed+(lbs lostx3500)/21 (#of days)...

If you prefer tho you can take those two numbers above and average them take off 5-20% and see how it goes.

I prefer the calculation.

BMR=Basal Metabolic Rate...the rate in which your body burns calories at rest...so just to live you need those...ie in a coma.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Okay - I completely get your frustration. And posting about a plateau and receiving replies similar to this are what made me initially quit MFP on my first account. Sometimes plateaus happen. Everyone here seems to agree that weightloss isn't linear, but everytime someone posts about going on a several month plateau, there are immediately a group of replies that simply state, "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" without any consideration for that person's physiology and what their body might be experiencing. (Yes, I'll admit it that 90% of those people are probably actually doing it wrong, but there's that 10% that are just... stuck.)

I'm posting what worked for me knowing I'll probably get backlash. But it worked... for me. I'm not saying it's cure-all, but it helped me.

My daily intake was 1200 and I'd been stuck for 3-4 months. I increased to 1500-1800 for a couple of weeks. I gained weight (important note), but (more importantly), when I dropped to 1200 again, I started losing again.

I don't know why it helped. I have no scientific, peer-reviewed, published journal articles to back this up. I have no evidence to say it'll do anything for you. I'm just saying it helped me and it's an idea.

This is kind of what I suggested. I think I mentioned a reset - which is increasing your calories by say 250 per 2 weeks until you see exactly 0.5 gain over a 2 week period. Once that happens, decrease your calories by 250 calories and hold that for 2 weeks... hopefully your weight stays the same. That way, you've found true maintenance. Hold it there for a few weeks, then drop it down by 250-500 a day and you should start losing again.

I know I ended up getting over a 4 month plateau by switching to 5:2. I ate maintenance for 5 days, 500 calories for 2 day, and repeated. I also switched up my workout routine. Once I started losing again, I went back to normal (cuz I hate fasting, bah).

That's just a couple of examples that you could try, OP.