Wait, broccoli is bad for you?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OMG! I had broccoli yesterday and I'm totally tired today--that explains it! It's a listed symptom and everything. I am going to give up broccoli.

(I also didn't sleep enough, but I'm sure that's a coincidence. Or maybe the fault of the broccoli.)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    While reading the article I've been consuming the delicious florets of death from a large head of broccoli. Send paramedics if I go silent.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    While reading the article I've been consuming the delicious florets of death from a large head of broccoli. Send paramedics if I go silent.

It's been nice knowing you.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Great article. The connections to formaldehyde in the parody bit in the middle reminded me of the sort of stuff the Food Babe does.

I am sadly not surprised that so many people misread it. He was quite clear in his intent:
    The Internet proliferates with opinion pieces quick to vilify particular foods and nutrients as being ‘the cause’ of many of our health problems by over-cooking (see what I did there?) one side of the research evidence. To show you how this is done, I present for you today a masterclass on this art form. I’ll also give you some practical tips on how to spot when it is being done.

So read on as I lift the lid on the toxic chemical soup that is broccoli, and explain why every mouthful you eat is pushing you ever faster to an early grave.

Following it up with the information that broccoli is, of course, healthy, seemed to me to get his point across well.

I have to wonder how many people just skim read.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    susanmc31 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    susanmc31 wrote: »
    Too bad not everyone read the entire article, he posted this afterwards

http://www.thinkingnutrition.com.au/broccoli-is-good-for-you-just-reading-a-headline-not-so-much/

I enjoyed the article but am not surprised that people only read the title and came to their own conclusions without reading the entire article.

If you're referring to my post, I read it (and my reply was sarcastic, as detoxes do nothing). I love broccoli and wouldn't give it up.

No, I was just looking through the website and saw that and thought I would post it. I totally got your sarcasm and I love broccoli too (especially smothered in butter..yum!)

Ah, yeah. Case in point: theinturnetexplorer.tumblr.com/post/120415579982
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    But I'm still better than everyone else if I eat kale, right?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

If you wrap your broccoli florets in kale leaves you can neutralize the deadly power of the brassica.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

If you wrap your broccoli florets in kale leaves you can neutralize the deadly power of the brassica.
    Kale stopping the power of the brassica. I see what you did there. +1.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yup, pretty much everything is bad for you, according to the internet. Guess we should start eating sand and gravel.
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »
    Yup, pretty much everything is bad for you, according to the internet. Guess we should start eating sand and gravel.

Except they are loaded with silica, the cause of the lung disease silicosis.
  • JeraldTX
    JeraldTX Posts: 42 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »

With all of the pollution in the air, breathing is bad for you. We should all stop doing it immediately.

This message is brought to you by the Save the Sand and Gravel Coalition.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Oh good, I hate broccoli
  • Tonibadr
    Tonibadr Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Lol fresh broccoli is the best for you , I love it raw or steam cooked .. Not even going to read that :wink:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Damn. Guess I need to detox now!

an42qjh7n78m.jpg

Sigh. What is WRONG with you people. You can't even post the right information about cleanses.

Everyone who understands nutrition and weight loss knows that the only correct cleanse comes from Haribo Sugar-free Bears (a.k.a. "Hellbears").

Get it right, folks. We have lots of people asking about cleanses, and they deserve good information.

Someone else is finally promoting my Haribo Sugarfree Gummy Bear Cleanse™. About time!

This is the start of a brand new MLM scheme which will clearly revolutionize the detox market.

Better get in on the ground floor while you can.

PM me.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

That stuff is poison! Unless you want to catch hypothyroidism and gain 200 pounds in one year you will stay away from those evil green leaves masquerading as a health food!
    http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2014/01/the-dark-side-of-kale-and-how-to-eat-around-it
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I rock my intake of cruciferous veggies, love kale, and eat almonds and strawberries on the regular. I have hypothyroidism. I cook my cruciferous veggies, though. If I want my broccoli "raw" for a salad, I blanch it. They are some of my favorite foods.

My endo told me it's all fine.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    A great reminder that reading and thinking are both fundamental. :)
    Purty much
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Tonibadr wrote: »

Lol fresh broccoli is the best for you , I love it raw or steam cooked .. Not even going to read that :wink:

WOOOOOOSH!