what class?

Options
Lola2248
Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
Hi
I don't currently do any classes in the gym. My cardio is restricted to walking, bike riding - out of the gym and then the cardio machines in gym (treadmill/rower/ bike/ elliptical etc).

They have quite a range of classes and I don't know whether to take the leap. Do any of you do a regular class? Which do you do?

:-)

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It is completely a matter of personal preference and also of how you like the instructor. You can have the same class with one instructor and feel awesome, and then with a different person get bored to death or realise you are not up to the level of fitness expected. I would suggest you talk to someone at the gym, receptionist, trainer etc, explain what you would like to do , and ask for suggestions. Then try a few different things to see what you enjoy.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I would just try out a few that appeal to you and see what you enjoy. I have always done most of my workouts on my own, outside (walk, swim, cycle) and when I did go to gym I would just do that in the machines and pool. I always claimed that classes were not really my thing. Then I tried out bag fitness at an mma gym. In the last 5 months they have completely changed my fitness level, muscle tone, strength, weight, emotional wellbeing because I discovered I loved the style of their classes. I committed to the classes at least 3 times a week and often train more than that. The trainers who lead the classes are amazing (all 5 of them) and correct technique, encourage and challenge you in the best ways.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I like classes (specifically spin). You can meet people and that helped keep me motivated in the beginning.

Try some and see what you like. And I agree with PP's who say don't be deterred from a class by an instructor. There's one instructor who I just can't take, so I don't do any of her classes.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love the classes at my gym. They make up most of my workouts. My favorites are spin and this tabata style calisthenics, plyometrics, resistance class. There's diff types of spin (spin and strength, spin and core, all terrain spin etc) with different instructors.
    The instructor matters a lot. Good gyms like Steve Nash typically have the best instructors. Kinda like profs, they can make or break a class, and the best profs are usually at the best schools.
    Go to all the ones that sound good to you. Eventually you'll have your fav instructors and fav classes that you don't want to miss.
  • gsayler860
    gsayler860 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do classes at my gym and really enjoy them. I do a HIIT type class that adds in some work with weights. I also enjoy the core focused classes because they are low impact.

Taking classes is a great way to get over gym intimidation IMO. Instructors at every gym Ive gone to are usually very welcoming and willing to take the time to assist first timers. Most people in the classes too are willing to help and provide motivation.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I love my classes. I do mainly freestyle as I like the variety and they push me to work harder and they tend to be quite small numbers. In my gym the trainers vary for these and I like that now but when I started I wanted to know who the instructor was as I liked some styles better than others. I also do a spin class now, and I've just started a running club.

Don't be afraid to try a few out and experiment. Most classes you can watch a bit off before hand, and talk to the instructor. You can go at your own pace too. If you try a few and don't find something you like nothing lost, but I hope you do.
  • lalangela
    lalangela Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Group classes are my favorite! Having a group of people who will give me a hard time if I don't show up, is amazing! And, then I feel guilty if I'm not there. But it's good guilt!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I love classes, way more fun than working out by myself. I'd recommend ones that have a strong strength component, like a boot class or circuit class, or my favorite, TRX.