Clothing Problems

Options
SwedishSarah
SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
Hello! I've recently been out shopping for summer clothes (specifically shorts) and have run into some problems with sizing. I've tried on multiple different styles (low rise, high waisted, normal, ect) of shorts from 4 different stores and have run into the same problem each time. A size 2 fits my waist the best, but I need a size 4 to properly fit my hips. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, any recommendations on where I should go shopping for a better fit?
(I can wear a belt with a size 4, but I would prefer not to if there are better places to shop out there.) Thank you!

Replies

• Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am much bigger than a size 2 but I think women of ALL sizes feel your pain in some way. I have the opposite problem though, I find most clothes fit me snug around the waist but are BAGGY as crap around my hips, butt and thighs ( I tend to carry most of my excess weight in the middle and have very lean toned legs). As far as where to go shopping...not sure if that really matters I have shopped anywhere from Walmart to Bloomingdales and I think that no matter where you go that problem will still exist. They design clothes for models, not the average body type. I would say get things altered, but that can get expensive and annoying. Just keep trying, eventually you will find a store that best suits your body type.
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input, I figured that all clothing doesn't fit everyone well. I agree about the altering part, I do that sometimes especially with pants that are too long. It would just be nice to find a place that sells somewhat inexpensive clothes that fit a slim body that still has curves.
  • Bennyboi15
    Bennyboi15 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just don't wear any??
  • shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately every store or brand has a different fit model or standard when it comes to body type and also depending on the amount of stretch there is in the pants or jeans aka elastane. It could be tricky because a pair of size 4s might fit in one style but the other style would be different. This is the hard part about being a woman it's not one size fits all. :( I can't offer you any advice but basically just try things on if you like things to not suffocate you I would suggest getting pants with elastane in it for some nice breathable stretch
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This is the hard part about being a woman it's not one size fits all. :(
    Not just women; the "one size fits as many as possible, provided your proportions don't fall too far outside the average range" phenomenon is prevalent in men's clothing as well. Possibly moreso, since men's clothing is a lot less varied; shirts, pants, shorts... and that's about it. At the same time, it's less of an issue for guys when something fits poorly, culturally speaking.
    As a guy with weird proportions (big chest, small waist, long arms & legs), it's impossible to shop at department stores and "mall" retailers. Finding 28w-34i pants on a department store rack is like seeing a unicorn, and even slim-fit shirts still hang off my giant ribcage in an unflattering way. If I hit up a boutique, though, I can find all sorts of things that fit quite nicely, or at least require only the minimal amount of tailoring. This sucks, because I don't like spending a lot on clothes, but I imagine that this works for women as well: if you've got proportions that don't fit neatly into the shape to which the big retail stores cater, you've gotta veer off from the beaten path a little bit.
    And don't get me started on vanity sizing :#