Protein Beverages

Options
Good Morning~ Maybe a stupid question, but here goes:

I'm drinking a mixture of protein, almond milk, coffee, spices & fruit in the morning ~ is there anything wrong with having this when I did not work out? I only ask because I see on others diarys, etc that they have "post" workout meals and alot of them include protein shakes

Thank you :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with it at all...I do a protein fruit smoothie for my breakfast with coffee...I haven't worked out yet either.

Protein powder is just a good supplement for getting in your protein when it's low. I use it in the summer as I don't like a hot breakfast in the heat and my smoothie has frozen fruit in it so it's like a milk shake.
  • mindyaf83
    mindyaf83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You should just keep an eye on the calories & total protein in take each day. I like protein shakes but some of them are high in calories and can actually make you gain weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mindyaf83 wrote: »
    You should just keep an eye on the calories & total protein in take each day. I like protein shakes but some of them are high in calories and can actually make you gain weight.

the only time you have to worry about protein intake is if you have kidney issues.

The shakes only make you gain if you are in a surplus of maintenance...if you are logging here accurately and consistently you know when you hit your goal.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    mindyaf83 wrote: »
    You should just keep an eye on the calories

Today's was only 189 :)
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    nothing wrong with it at all...I do a protein fruit smoothie for my breakfast with coffee...I haven't worked out yet either.

Protein powder is just a good supplement for getting in your protein when it's low. I use it in the summer as I don't like a hot breakfast in the heat and my smoothie has frozen fruit in it so it's like a milk shake.

I am using as my breakfast and coffee (coffee protein shake = yum!!) at the same time, then a few hours later when I am really hungry I have something else :)
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I also do the protein coffee shake for breakfast too. Adding the protein keeps me full until lunchtime which is awesome!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore protein shakes and I make myself a nice thick protein milkshake whenever I have enough time to whip one up for breakfast or a late night snack. I do work out, but I've only started four days ago and I've been drinking these wonderful shakes for over four months now and have had absolutely no problem maintaining my weight. They help keep me full, satisfied, and happy. As long as it fits within your caloric goals you're fine - enjoy them! :)
  • vgrezzy
    vgrezzy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    not a bad thing at all! regardless of if youre working out or not, your body still needs protein :)
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    Thank you for your replies!! I didn't think it was bad, but............the question was lingering in my mind so I figured I would ask, lol
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    This was not the thread I thought it was going to be...
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you use plain yogurt instead you will get protein plus all the probitics.