Any other p90x folk?

Options
I'm in my second run of P90x finishing up the first month. My first run was about 5 months ago -- so there's been some loss, but I'm surprised at how quickly I've been able to pick it up.

Biggest challenges still:
  • Pullups: I can do 10-13 the first set, but then I'm dead for future sets. Reliant on the chair and have to switch to the bands. I have no idea how to do set after set of free-form pull-ups without assistance in a 1-hour period.
  • Yoga / Crane: I'm convinced I'm not doing some of these moves correctly. Crane I can do for 10-15 seconds at a time, but it hurts my wrists. Thinking of replacing this with a Yinyasa class near my apartment and getting my chops in fundamentals / detail work.
  • Flexibility: Always been an issue for me. It's takes me a while of stretching to be able to touch my toes. Working on it -- never skipping a Yoga or Stretch X.

Training for a Tough Mudder in October, as one goal (mostly for fun, something to look forward to). But in general looking for strength, flexibility, endurance, and the ability to take on new physical hobbies and challenges like swimming, mountain biking, snowboarding, and climbing.

Any advice for programs to do after I kill this next 60 days? For others in the program, where are you and how is it working for ya?

Replies

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I do a hybrid-ish version of P90X.
    So far, I'm only in the second week of testing it, but so far it's working. I maintained the Chest & Back and Legs & Back routine in Phase 1 as those are probably the superior programs. I skip the Ab Ripper, because quite frankly, the Chest & Back and Legs & Back will do enough for your core and the Ab Ripper is just overkill.

I took out Plyo X, and substituted in a random cardio-centric P90X3 workout (MMX, CVX, Agility X, etc.)

I also took out Shoulders & Arms, and substituted in a random P90 workout (Sculpt A, B, or C). Shoulders & Arms is a decent workout, but I always felt that it was the weak link as far as the strength training programs go. Also, the Sculpt workouts from P90 provide a sufficient replacement in conjuction with the Chest & Back done on Day 1.

Flexibility isn't an issue with me, and I always felt that Yoga was a bit of a throwaway workout (just my opinion). In it's place, I am doing a random Insanity MAX: 30 workout.

Finally, while I thoroughly enjoy the Kenpo X, I enjoy the martial arts workouts of Les Mills Combat even more, so I do a random Combat workout in place of Kenpo X.

I want to eventually work in Focus T25, preferably anything from the Gamma phase, but I'm still experimenting. I might add it to the random rotation along with P90, since the Gamma phase workouts are somewhat similar. Both the P90 Sculpt and T25 Gamma provide the strength/circuit training that I am looking for as a suitable replacement for Shoulders & Arms.

I'm a person who gets easily bored with monotony, and doing one set schedule (even for 2-3 weeks) leads to boredom and then I will stop. I've done "random" style workouts using Microsoft Excel as a tool to randomize my workouts in the past, and it has always kept my interest.

For Phase 1 (Weeks 1-3), here is my schedule:

Day 1: P90X - Chest & Back
    Day 2: Random P90X3 workout along with a 30 minute treadmill run/power walk to warmup
    Day 3: Random P90 workout
    Day 4: Random Insanity MAX: 30 workout along with a 30 minute treadmill run/power walk to warmup
    Day 5: P90X - Legs & Back
    Day 6: Random Les Mills Combat workout