Grilled Chicken Seasoning

Options
Do you guys count the calories if you Season your Grilled Chicken?
I only sprinkle a little bit of Onion Powder and Garlic Powder when I am Grilling my Chicken. I have looked at the Calories of the 2 powders and per tablespoon they are ~32 calories each go a total of 64 calories broke out into ~ 8 meals.

I would definitely add it if I was making a BBQ Chicken. Was inquiring on the powder.

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't bother with seasoning or low calorie condiments such as ketchup or mustard. I also don't bother with things like garlic or onions.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't. I don't even measure out my seasonings. That's too meticulous for me, but to each their own.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories in salt, pepper, garlic, and cayenne to be worth it to me. If it needs to be a thing, just say you ate an extra gram or two of chicken.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No I don't log spices.
  • LRWSSuccess
    LRWSSuccess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It depends if you're concerned about measurements other than calories. I'm watching my sodium and trying to stick below 1,500mg per day (although today is a fail) so I log anything that may contribute, even if the calorie impact is negligible.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    No I just lob a load on and hope for the best!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    corryigo wrote: »
    Do you guys count the calories if you Season your Grilled Chicken?
    I only sprinkle a little bit of Onion Powder and Garlic Powder when I am Grilling my Chicken. I have looked at the Calories of the 2 powders and per tablespoon they are ~32 calories each go a total of 64 calories broke out into ~ 8 meals.

I use garlic powder on just about everything, but a tablespoon is so much for the average serving that I eat, that I just let it go. That being said, I'm not the type that's super meticulous either. I aim for 1200, but MFP gives me 1430. I figure that gives me 230 calories of leeway for situations such as this, which is probably fine.

BTW - good profile pic! I'm assuming you're the thundercat and not Deadpool.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    For most people, especially in the US, the calories in the amounts of seasoning used per serving is smaller than the margin of error in the meal itself. It's not enough to move the needle on losing weight in a significant manner.

If I were sodium sensitive, I would log salt, since that adds up very quickly and I'd want to track that.

There are a few seasonings that do have higher calories (I think mustard seed would be about 52 cal/11g (1 tbsp), so if there is something you use commonly it helps to look it up and consider how much you use in a serving, compared to the overall calories in the recipe.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've never logged a spice or a marinade
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but it has more to do with how I'm feeling at the time than any sort of accuracy!