LA Fiitness gyms

Options
Are you a member?

How much do you pay?
Monthly fee/ initiation fee?

I recently joined and paid a $99 initiation fee and then $29.95/month plus tax.

I referred a couple of friends who got better deals than I did and are paying $24.95 monthly with only a $49.95 initiation! I am furious!

I spoke with someone and she stated that LA Fitness has different deals every week. I hate that. I think everyone should be paying the same amount for the same services. We literally signed up 2 days apart!

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can argue with them about it and win. I did. I paid no initiation fee, and originally $29.95/month. When my husband signed up, they tried to pressure him into some ridiculously-much-higher costs. We walked out and went to another branch. I told the sales guy that we really wanted to sign DH up, but that the sales guy at the other location was being a jerkwad. Not only did the new awesome sales guy waive DH's initiation fee, he checked and saw that my $29.95 included a $5 raquetball court fee.

"Do you play raquetball?"
    "Uh, no".
    "Well, let's just get rid of that, then."

We both walked out paying $25/month.

Of course, we had leverage -- DH's account was basically a new sale. You could always threaten to cancel, but I would only do that if I were prepared to follow through.

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    kaassiia wrote: »
    Are you a member?
    Yes

How much do you pay?
    $30/month

No joining fee because I prepaid for 18 months. Just the flat 30/month
    I was led to believe that the $25/month rate was for just that facility and the $30/month was to use any LA Fitness. Maybe that's true or maybe I was fed BS. I was also told that after my 18 months are up I would be offered a fixed rate of 25/month for the same services.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am a member through my insurance company; I paid $25 down and $25 a month to sign up for the program and I have the option of a number of different gyms. LA Fitness is the most full-service in my area.

I called before registering through the insurance company and told the salesman if he could beat the price I'd give him the business instead of Blue Cross and he straight out said he couldn't. He said they have low limits imposed by corporate and event though the deals change every so often there was nothing he could do during a non-peak time (basically, not the beginning or end of the year).

So, there's that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    kaassiia wrote: »
    Are you a member?

How much do you pay?

was paying 35/month (29+ tax)
    no initiation fee
    I recently joined and paid a $99 initiation fee and then $29.95/month plus tax.
    that's about right- you can probably fight the initiation fee.
    I referred a couple of friends who got better deals than I did and are paying $24.95 monthly with only a $49.95 initiation! I am furious!
    it's not that much of a difference honestly and it just depends on the special- they run them constantly.
    I spoke with someone and she stated that LA Fitness has different deals every week. I hate that. I think everyone should be paying the same amount for the same services. We literally signed up 2 days apart!
    why? it's like being really made you missed the black friday sale.

its' a special. it runs- then it doesn't. you get one or you don't- OR you argue and negotiate a better price. They'll do it but you gotta be willing to walk out. it was on you. So be mad at yourself if you're gonna be mad at anyone.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of LA Fitness by way of Bally Total Fitness, which I joined back in 2006/2007.

I joined Bally during a promotion where I locked in a rate of $30/month with zero initiation fee. I think a few years ago, LA Fitness took over the Bally gyms out here (not sure if it was nation-wide), and they honored my plan.
  • byusuri
    byusuri Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    I pay $20 a month and put $100 down. It's actually better than the "Deal" I get through my employer.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I am a member through my insurance company; I paid $25 down and $25 a month to sign up for the program and I have the option of a number of different gyms. LA Fitness is the most full-service in my area.

I called before registering through the insurance company and told the salesman if he could beat the price I'd give him the business instead of Blue Cross and he straight out said he couldn't. He said they have low limits imposed by corporate and event though the deals change every so often there was nothing he could do during a non-peak time (basically, not the beginning or end of the year).

So, there's that.

I have the same deal through Blue Cross Blue Shield. $25 a month. It is a great service!!
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Join close to the end of the month and never pay a sign-up fee! I pay $29 flat/mo. Many Health Insurance Co's reimburse for Health Club membership; I get a $20 refund so my net is $9/mo
  • Suzmp88
    Suzmp88 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Through a company discount LA Fitness waived my join fee and I pay $29/month. I could have sworn I was paying for extra like the raquetball courts because I saw signs that said typically the membership is 29/month, but an employee said that's a great deal and I'm not paying for extras. I still think it's a great deal for what I'm getting and when compared to other Houston gyms that can be ridiculously pricey.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I joined LA-Fitness whe they were first building it near the local Mall. I paid $250 to join and have since been paying $17.99/month. I think it was a good deal since I can go to any one of their clubs and the monthly fee has never gone up. I've been a member for many years. Also, my health insurance pays $150/year as long as I go 120 times a year.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what I paid for initiation - but there are several different rate plans. Mine lets me go to any LA Fitness versus just one specific club. I think there were different rates too depending on how long of a contract you were willing to sign etc... And then like you said they probably run a different special constantly - most places like that do...
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    They want your money more than you want to work out. Tell them you will go elsewhere if you don't get a reduced rate.

I was a member of Nautilus Plus in 1993 for $9.99/month. That rate has been locked in through the sale to Bally's and then to LAFitness. I go through more than $10 worth of hot water at LAF in a month.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of LA Fitness by way of Bally Total Fitness, which I joined back in 2006/2007.

I joined Bally during a promotion where I locked in a rate of $30/month with zero initiation fee. I think a few years ago, LA Fitness took over the Bally gyms out here (not sure if it was nation-wide), and they honored my plan.

heh- that's the same way I wound up there. I think 50 something Bally's sold out- they might all be gone now.