Spartan Races

2»

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Trail running shoes. Some of them, such as the Inov-8 Roclite line, have been specifically designed for OCRs.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    LacednLace wrote: »
    Just to update everyone, there have been a lot of reasons (mostly excuses---but a few valid reasons) that I have not been actively training since this post. I still go approx 3 days a week for strength training. But that's not nearly the same as going 5x a week and with cardio. Our trainer also canceled her participation, she has a few competitions shes getting ready for and chose not to do this race. With that all being said, I am aiming to participate next year. That will give me plenty of time to get back on track (mentally, emotionally, and physically), give me time to train, and give me a heads up to plan for the purchase of my ticket. At least next year ill be able to buy when they're 40$ not 90$!!! So yeah. But I'm very appreciative of all the feedback. I have been reading it and debating and I decided that it would be a lot of money to put into something that I have not properly prepared for and I am not up for risking any injury.

I think this is an excellent plan. This give you time to train and prepare yourself mentally for the challenge. Sign up for the Spartan 30 day challenges if you haven't already - great motivator and free!

If you have the luck and honor to be in the presence of one of the disabled veteran teams it is one of the most inspiring sights you will ever see. Really puts your life in perspective to watch a team of amputees conquer an obstacle most people would fail at.

As for the injuries - most of these are people acting stupid on the obstacles. Don't see as much of that on OCR anymore.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    What are the best kind of shoes for the challenge?

I use older running shoes that are at the end of their mileage. They are typically ruined after a mud race. Light weight helps a bit.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    I think that using older running shoes is okay for some of the shorter races or those of intermediate difficulty. Some courses, however, require a lot of traction, especially if they're hilly and very muddy. For those, I strongly recommend a pair of trail running shoes in good condition.