bigger problem thanks belly fat... love handles

How can i banish those love handles tips & tricks???

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Eat at a caloric deficit and be patient.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Same way everyone said when you asked about the belly...calorie deficit, lifting, and patience
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    You can't reduce fat in a specific spot so the only way to banish them to is keep losing fat overall. They'll eventually shrink along with everything else.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    edited June 2015
    How can i banish those love handles tips & tricks???

The same tips you got in this thread for belly fat apply to love handles (and thigh fat and back fat and arm fat and any other body fat that you want gone):
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10185181/stubborn-belly-fat#latest
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I've never understood the whole "be patient" thing. How patient? Like wait years for progress? The fittest people here seem to gain and lose weight at will pretty much. I wonder how patient they'd be if someone said "wait 2 years for something to happen." They'd flip there crap. I get being realistic and recognizing that it takes time and effort. But patient? Hell no!

What? Some of the most successful people here HAVE been patient and worked hard for years to get the results they have.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I've never understood the whole "be patient" thing. How patient? Like wait years for progress? The fittest people here seem to gain and lose weight at will pretty much. I wonder how patient they'd be if someone said "wait 2 years for something to happen." They'd flip there crap. I get being realistic and recognizing that it takes time and effort. But patient? Hell no!

Patient means "don't expect to get results quickly". For most people, it took years of neglecting their health and fitness to get where they are now. It's not all going to be corrected in a month no matter how much they think it will.
  • DeguelloTex
    Perhaps you can distinguish between recognizing that something takes time and being patient.
  • usmcmp

Why do you come into others threads and make it about you? I'm not sorry you aren't patient. It took me 3 years to lose weight, it's taken me two more years to improve my composition, it will take me 3 more years to get close to my real goal. The time is going to pass anyway and I choose to do thing that I know will get me to my goal in a healthy manner.
  • DeguelloTex
    SueInAz wrote: »

Patient means "don't expect to get results quickly". For most people, it took years of neglecting their health and fitness to get where they are now. It's not all going to be corrected in a month no matter how much they think it will.

Yeah that's fair. I just wish people would outline timetables for this type of stuff instead of spit out the old "be patient" thing. Outline how long it took you to get fit. When did your abs show. How many pounds per week did you lose. Etc.
    None of that is all that relevant to losing love handles, though. Never mind that where fat comes off is genetically determined. One person might lose them relatively quickly while another gets skinner and skinner calves before they go away.
  • usmcmp

Yeah that's fair. I just wish people would outline timetables for this type of stuff instead of spit out the old "be patient" thing. Outline how long it took you to get fit. When did your abs show. How many pounds per week did you lose. Etc.

I started trying to lose weight April 2010 at 42% body fat. My abs were finally visible March 2013. I did a lot of things wrong and there were times I had to take a diet break because I starved myself and was doing more harm than good.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

There's patience, and then there's complacence.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

It's all only minimally relevant. If you don't do exactly what someone else did, have the same exact genetics, and - well have everything exactly the same - then my results won't match your results which won't match another poster's results. As such, no timetable can really be defined. Sure, anecdotal evidence is nice, but then I'm guessing you'll be back asking why it didn't work for you exactly like it did for someone else.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member

I would imagine they don't give those specifics because everyone is different. And if I told you it took me 6 months to see my abs while losing .5 pound a week how would that help you? 2 months or 2 years, it doesn't happen overnight.

And many posters have outlined what they have done to get where they are in other threads, the "Body Recomposition" thread comes to mind.
  • DeguelloTex
    Perhaps you can distinguish between recognizing that something takes time and being patient.

I think it's just the phrasing I hate. "Be patient" is what you tell someone who's trying but not quite getting it. Like, "Aw, be patient. You'll get it." I think people should say "Hey, here's a realistic time for how long this should take. Work hard and could do it in this amount of time." I dunno. It's semantics I guess.
    That's fair. The main problem, though, is what's realistic for one person isn't realistic for another.

I can understand what you're saying, though. That "if you have X pounds to lose, target Y pounds per week" chart drives me nuts. It would've taken me two years to lose this weight following that damned thing. Hell no.
  • usmcmp
    slaite1 wrote: »

I would imagine they don't give those specifics because everyone is different. And if I told you it took me 6 months to see my abs while losing .5 pound a week how would that help you? 2 months or 2 years, it doesn't happen overnight.

And many posters have outlined what they have done to get where they are in other threads, the "Body Recomposition" thread comes to mind.

BFDeal has been given TONS of advice starting about 8 months ago. He doesn't follow any of it and wants people to tell him that he needs to basically starve himself for results. This is yet another thread that he hijacks and makes it about himself instead of the OP.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015

You need to invest yourself in some aspect of the process that is NOT seeing the pounds on the scale move.

I took it really slowly - probably less than .5 lbs a week, if I remember it took me about a year to lose 50 lbs. [Wait, my math is off. I don't know how many lbs a week I lost. It def took me a year or maybe just over, so it must have been just under a pound a week on average.] What kept me going was interest in the fitness side of things (just curiousity about it, wanting to progress in terms of performance) and the mood benefits I got from cardio (which also kept me food-compliant thanks to the suppressant effects on my particular appetite).

Some people get into the food side of things. You could take a cooking class, for example. Bottom line - you need to invest in something other than the end goal to get to your end goal, in my opinion. That is what makes things sustainable from a motivational POV.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member

Umm. Ok.

I think the point is that it's not going to happen overnight. Results are gradual and take time to show. You won't get abs in a month.

And yeah, it might take 2 years to get to an ultimate goal. What's wrong with that?
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member

Progress happens incrementally, and whether or not you notice it is partly going to be about how distorted your self-image and thinking are. Big results take months and years though, yeah.

Patience: You can get your diet and exercise on point but torture yourself because you're not perfect, or you can get your diet and exercise on point and not torture yourself because you're not perfect. (Or you can get mad and do nothing and never change, I guess, but then you'll really be waiting around forever.)

Anything that takes time and dedication will go more smoothly if you practice patience. And I do mean "practice" -- patience is not something you're blessed with or not, you work at it too.

Patience is not always easy, but it is still a big part of the real answer. It's going to happen for you when it does, and not before.

I think it's just the phrasing I hate. "Be patient" is what you tell someone who's trying but not quite getting it. Like, "Aw, be patient. You'll get it." I think people should say "Hey, here's a realistic time for how long this should take. Work hard and could do it in this amount of time." I dunno. It's semantics I guess.

That's something you're reading into what people are saying, not anything people are actually saying. "Patience is a virtue" is a saying for a reason... it's hard to do, and it pays off if you master it. No one is being condescending, they're being serious.

And agree with other posters that there is no set timetable. It depends on genetics, age, routine, health, lifestyle, diet, where you started from, where you're trying to get to, and so on. So hearing from someone about their specifics is more interesting than directly useful.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »

BFDeal has been given TONS of advice starting about 8 months ago. He doesn't follow any of it and wants people to tell him that he needs to basically starve himself for results. This is yet another thread that he hijacks and makes it about himself instead of the OP.

Yea I've seen it. Actually my very first thread was derailed into a debate about how little he can eat. This one just seemed like pointless bit*#ing
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    "Be patient" means putting in the effort and waiting for the payoff of that effort, not sitting on one's hands and waiting for magic to happen, then complaining the system doesn't work when nothing happens.