Need hobby ideas so won't eat

Options
because if I have nothing to do, all I think about is food. Food makes me happy, I know that is sad but it is true. I have anxiety issues and few close friends so food is my comfort. I am not creative but need a hobby to keep me busy on weekends. I do volunteer work but I need something for my time at home. My sons no longer need me all the time so now I can do things I enjoy but I can't figure out how they translates into a hobby? I like taking pictures but my kids are tired of me chasing them around with my phone. They are now 19 and 14. Hubby has a hobby but I am not interested in fixing lawn mowers. What hobbies do you all have and/or what do you do so that you don't eat when you are bored or have down time?

Replies

• crazycatlady88np
    crazycatlady88np Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try knitting! I know you said you're not creative and people tell me "I'm not creative enough to knit" all the time, but you can knit some awesome stuff just by following instructions, no creativity required. Knitting is especially great to reduce snacking, because its something you can do while watching TV or even at the movies, and you won't want to snack because you won't want to get grease or anything on your yarn. I also find that it helps with my anxiety...it kind of absorbs my extra energy and distracts the thought processes that might otherwise contribute to a panic attack.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Patriots96 wrote: »
    because if I have nothing to do, all I think about is food. Food makes me happy, I know that is sad but it is true. I have anxiety issues and few close friends so food is my comfort. I am not creative but need a hobby to keep me busy on weekends. I do volunteer work but I need something for my time at home. My sons no longer need me all the time so now I can do things I enjoy but I can't figure out how they translates into a hobby? I like taking pictures but my kids are tired of me chasing them around with my phone. They are now 19 and 14. Hubby has a hobby but I am not interested in fixing lawn mowers. What hobbies do you all have and/or what do you do so that you don't eat when you are bored or have down time?

How about video games? or read a book, play pool, bowling, take a class
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    What do you like to do?

I'm like you, all I think about is what's in the pantry (chips!), or freezer (ice cream!) when I'm not doing anything at home. My solution has been finding something to occupy my brain so much, that I get lost in what I'm doing. Reading, puzzles, video games, etc. It has to be absorbing and keep my hands busy so I can't put a bag of Tostitos and keep eating lol.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Music, music, music!!! Learn an instrument . . . it's never too late!
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    Or running. If you don't think you can run, start a C25K program. You'll quickly get hooked.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Second knitting or cross-stitching. If you're not creative you can download or purchase patterns from a craft store. I've found this is awesome for me because I don't want to get the fabric/thread dirty, so my hands are pristine. I'm a lot less likely to snack on stuff if I'm trying to keep my hands pristine.

Or video gaming! That can also distract the mind and your hands are busy there too.

Just don't take up writing. I love writing, but seriously... every time you hit a wall, you think "I'll just go grab a snack and figure it out." -_____- Soooo hazardous.
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    Second knitting or cross-stitching. If you're not creative you can download or purchase patterns from a craft store. I've found this is awesome for me because I don't want to get the fabric/thread dirty, so my hands are pristine. I'm a lot less likely to snack on stuff if I'm trying to keep my hands pristine.

Or video gaming! That can also distract the mind and your hands are busy there too.

Just don't take up writing. I love writing, but seriously... every time you hit a wall, you think "I'll just go grab a snack and figure it out." -_____- Soooo hazardous.

Video gaming is good, but I can't imagine a serious gaming session without chips and soda. Or at least popcorn. Maybe pizza . . .
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Patriots96 wrote: »

Tell me more about all this down time with kids who don't need you all the time? How old were they when you realized this?? I want to live vicariously!!

Signed,
    Mother of young kids

PS, if I eventually get back some downtime, and I'm not convinced this will ever happen, i would love to either re-learn piano or learn guitar. Or knit maybe?
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Knitting, crochet, lucet (cord-making knotwork), sewing. Those all have the advantage of being better done with clean hands. Writing, painting. Leatherwork. Learn calligraphy. Nature/architectural photography. Gardening.
  • BluGnat
    BluGnat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Seconding the running thing. Maybe the kids would want to be involved, too? Or cycling. Cheap bikes are on Craigslist to see if you like it. IMO, running is more of a year-round kind of thing, compared to cycling, depending on where you live.
  • cazvenger
    cazvenger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'll third knitting, it's definitely not something that takes a ton of creativity if you find patterns you're interested in, and you can always give stuff out as presents!
  • natali_lifts
    natali_lifts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try to find some interesting book, magazine or TV series! :smile: Or maybe writing novel, poems ?
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I agree with knitting. I actually find it a bit meditative. I think it is the repetitive nature.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    audiobooks too! :)
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

Video gaming is good, but I can't imagine a serious gaming session without chips and soda. Or at least popcorn. Maybe pizza . . .

How are you going to gtfo of the fire when your hands are all greasy? :D

Gaming is my go to hobby after exercise. Also tinker in my vege garden.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Exercise.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Things that I do with my free time when I am not at work:

Running
    Yoga/Pilates/Strength Training
    Cooking healthy meals
    Gardening
    Cleaning
    Sewing
    Volunteer at Food Pantry
    Reading
    Hiking or Biking
    Watch HGTV and get crazy ideas for DIY projects
    Do DIY projects

This keeps me plenty busy. In fact, I wish I had more time to do these things. The best part of it is that most of these things burn lots of calories too!
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    pdank311 wrote: »
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

How are you going to gtfo of the fire when your hands are all greasy? :D

Gaming is my go to hobby after exercise. Also tinker in my vege garden.

Maybe that's why my middle-school age son always CREAMS me in first person shooters. :smiley:
  • DanielleandCuller
    DanielleandCuller Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Gardening. It's the ultimate! If you do veggies & fruit You save $. Get out of house, therefore away from food being right there. Get something out of it nutritionally & fresh air is great for increasing serotonin and lowering cortisol levels!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When my children didn't need me as much any more I pursued a lifelong interest in oil painting. It helped that I came across an excellent instructor.

Crochet and knitting are excellent because they keep the hands busy. There's gardening, too. It's inconvenient to munch on snacks with dirty hands.