Morning Workouts - Does anyone else hate them?

Options
NotMika
NotMika Posts: 21 Member
Recently I decided I have to start exercising before work if I'm going to get in 6 days of exercise a week (normally I only do 4, but I'm trying to improve because I literally do not think I could eat fewer calories than MFP already has me on) . Today I woke up an hour earlier than usual and went for a run and it was possibly the most unpleasant experience of my life. Even though I drank a big glass of water before I went out, I felt thirsty and lightheaded. I was also starving and I had so little energy during the run, I ended up walking a lot of it, when just the night before, I had a great run and was putting up good time.

I've read that people are supposed to do morning cardio on an empty stomach, but that doesn't seem to be working for me. That said, I don't think I'd ever get out and run if I had to wait for a while after eating breakfast, then run for half an hour, then shower and get readt. Anyone have advice on how to work out in the morning?

Replies

• cincigina
    cincigina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like working out in the morning because it gives me a sense of accomplishment right off the bat, but I'm not much of a runner. I swim usually 3 days a week. I don't know what your commute is like but I usually get to the Y by 6:45, swim until 7:30 then shower. I dry my hair at the gym, then I go back home, finish getting ready and I am out the door by 8:30 and at work by 9. Luckily, the Y is 5 minutes from my house.
    I understand that might not work for you..but it is what I do. And some days I get on the treadmill if the pool is full.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i love morning workouts. wakes me up and gets my blood flowing for the 12 hour work day ahead...
  • lswain1970
    lswain1970 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I never understood the workout on an empty stomach thing...especially first thing in the morning when you have the least amount of blood glucose available...it takes time to convert fat to energy so no wonder you were light headed!

I love working out in the morning except when my knees are acting up (early arthritis) but I always make sure I have something to eat to fuel my workout. Usually a protein shake with a banana for the potassium. I always burn more than I consumed but the small meal give me the energy to finish a decent workout. Without it I wouldn't last fifteen minutes! :)
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I hate them because I'm not a morning person at all. But I know that if I don't do it in the morning, I won't do it at all.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Recently I decided I have to start exercising before work if I'm going to get in 6 days of exercise a week (normally I only do 4, but I'm trying to improve because I literally do not think I could eat fewer calories than MFP already has me on) . Today I woke up an hour earlier than usual and went for a run and it was possibly the most unpleasant experience of my life. Even though I drank a big glass of water before I went out, I felt thirsty and lightheaded. I was also starving and I had so little energy during the run, I ended up walking a lot of it, when just the night before, I had a great run and was putting up good time.

I've read that people are supposed to do morning cardio on an empty stomach, but that doesn't seem to be working for me. That said, I don't think I'd ever get out and run if I had to wait for a while after eating breakfast, then run for half an hour, then shower and get readt. Anyone have advice on how to work out in the morning?

Could it be that you ran the night before and then ran the next morning without your body having any recovery time.

I love exercising in the morning, its done and don't have to think about it until the next morning. Also the air is so fresh, no pollution, traffic etc. It really makes my day.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I never understood the workout on an empty stomach thing...especially first thing in the morning when you have the least amount of blood glucose available...it takes time to convert fat to energy so no wonder you were light headed!

I love working out in the morning except when my knees are acting up (early arthritis) but I always make sure I have something to eat to fuel my workout. Usually a protein shake with a banana for the potassium. I always burn more than I consumed but the small meal give me the energy to finish a decent workout. Without it I wouldn't last fifteen minutes! :)

I can never eat before exercising, it just makes me feel physically sick, its worse if I jog - not even a glass of water. What I do the night be fore is to drink at least 24 ounces of water 14 minute.
  • PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    Options
    I am not a morning person and I hate running early! Those early runs are always a struggle for me. It's nice to get it out of the way, but I'm never happy with how they go. I prefer running in the evening and find I have more energy and it's actually less muggy around here. I say, do what you enjoy or you won't be able to keep it up!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've read that people are supposed to do morning cardio on an empty stomach, but that doesn't seem to be working for me.
    I don't have any problems working out without food in the morning, but if I am starving I might grab an olive or cheese stick. Look at what you're eating the night before and see if different things make any difference, but nothing says you have to workout in the morning if it doesn't suit you.

I only do morning workouts on weekends, as I don't like getting up so early before work but as it gets hotter I might have to reevaluate (it was 100 yesterday afternoon - I ended up at the gym).
  • jocelyne17
    jocelyne17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning because I have structure and a schedule to my day, and I don't feel like I'm not getting "me" time like I do when I sleep until I have to start getting ready for work.

The only downside to morning workouts is that I'm not a morning person, so if I sleep in one day, I have a hard time getting back into my routine. And moreover, I'm often SUPER tired at the end of the day and NEED to crash by around 9 or 10 despite my schedule of school and work usually keeping me up until noon.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    When is the best time for YOU to work out = The time you'll be consistently motivated 4-6 times a week.

YOU might not be a morning workout person but I am and YES I workout on an empty stomach and have no issues. You'll figure out your best time to work out and eventually get into that 4-6 times per week routine.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I hate morning workouts. My body for whatever reason just slugs along until the early to late afternoon, where my energy levels are best. Doing a workout in the morning leads me to quit about 50% of the time, less than 15 minutes in. The 100 - degree weather outside doesn't help.

Doing cardio on an empty stomach is even worse and is guaranteed zombie mode.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against working out in the morning. I have a huge issue with mornings in general. I am not an early riser and I'm not going to force myself to get up and exercise at a time that will make me miserable. As well as everyone who has to deal with me the rest of the day!
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I love to get up early in the morning and workout especially during the summer time.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i ALWAYS do morning workouts. Sets the tone for the rest of the day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've read that people are supposed to do morning cardio on an empty stomach, but that doesn't seem to be working for me.
    I don't have any problems working out without food in the morning, but if I am starving I might grab an olive or cheese stick. Look at what you're eating the night before and see if different things make any difference, but nothing says you have to workout in the morning if it doesn't suit you.

I only do morning workouts on weekends, as I don't like getting up so early before work but as it gets hotter I might have to reevaluate (it was 100 yesterday afternoon - I ended up at the gym).

If you think one olive is satisfying...

...you should try *two* olives.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Black coffee upon waking. No traffic. Relatively empty gym. No need to worry about "working in" or waiting for someone to finish with the rack. Faster workouts. I feel stronger during fasted morning workouts.

What's not to like?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I hate morning, period. I get up five minutes later than it takes me to shower, dress and get to work on time. Actually, I hate working out too, which is why I'm glad I bike to work, which I probably wouldn't bother to do if the parking garage didn't cost $5 a day.
  • ArieMc88
    ArieMc88 Posts: 18
    Options
    my endorphins kick in and I feel accomplished after an am workout. They are my favorite!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    It's very difficult for me to talk myself into morning workouts, but during them I thoroughly enjoy it and it makes me feel proactive and ready to tackle the day afterwards. I usually wake up, drink at least one 16 oz bottle of water, eat a small snack (usually a cheese stick, granola, or fruit -- nothing to make me feel full), and stretch more than I would for an evening run. It took me about a week before my body got used to it (I was used to running in the evenings so there was about a 10-12 hour difference) and began improving. Try it a few more times and see if you like it! But if it's just not working, don't worry about it and stick to later workouts. Good luck! :happy:
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    I wont do it! You can't make me. Many reasons, 1. It takes me at least 2 hours to wake up and function. 2. I eat WAY more when I exercise in the morning and GAIN weight. Yeah I know it speeds up your metabolism in the morning so thats why i'm hungry but If I don't eat when I'm hungry I turn into a B*tch! Rather wait till the end of the day so when i enter B mode I can just go to bed.