Having Cravings, need advice

Options
So, I have lost almost 50 pounds, but now I am starting to have cravings for some of the junk food that I have not been eating since January. Lately I want chips and dip, sweet tarts, and chewy spree. I also want Oreos for some strange reason (no, I am not pregnant, that is physically impossible). So, what do you do to suppress your cravings?

Replies

• MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just eat a little bit, but I eat slowly and savor it. Want chips and dip? Spoon out 2 tablespoons on a small tea plate, a serving of chips which are like usually 13 chips, then put it all away and enjoy! Afterwards drink a big glass of water and brush your teeth.

No reason to deprive yourself. Dieting is not a punishment. Changing your diet is rewarding your body for being there for you. Without that body of yours, how would you have taken your first steps as a babe? How would you have walked to all of your life events? I'm rewarding my body for pushing my reluctant mind onto a plane and travelling to the other side of the country to be with the man I love.

Never, ever think about your diet as punishment. You want Oreos? Eat one! Afraid you're going to eat the whole sleeve? Brush your teeth! Best trick I've ever heard. ^_^
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    What @MaiLinna said works for some people. Some people cannot have those foods at all without going over board, so the first question is: which category do you fall in?

Either way, the main point is to realize a craving is just a "want". We don't give in to every want we have or else we'd be broke and unhealthy. I think it's important to learn that food is for fuel only and not to satisfy or numb our feelings.

If you are legitimately wanting to add those foods back into your diet, do it slowly and eat very small amounts. Generally, a small amount will suffice and the craving is then gone.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For me, I divide my calories between 4 meals. Eating every 3 doesn't really leave time or a desire to snack. I also changed my diet to focus on protein and fiber. It takes me at least 20 minutes to eat my meal. With all that eating who has time to crave anything? So look to see what you can change in your current meal plans to support you better during the day.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    So, I have lost almost 50 pounds, but now I am starting to have cravings for some of the junk food that I have not been eating since January. Lately I want chips and dip, sweet tarts, and chewy spree. I also want Oreos for some strange reason (no, I am not pregnant, that is physically impossible). So, what do you do to suppress your cravings?

just eat less of what you want or give yourself a cheat day, satisfy the craving and move on. If you want a low calorie oreo option I'd recommend Breyers Oreo Blaster, 120 calories for a half cup.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I would add some things back into your diet. But have a limit on how many pieces you get. Be strict with it. Or just eat it if it can be included with your calorie goals. Could also work off the calories

For chips and dip, I would just buy some Wheat Thins and hummus. Or just make some salsa and chips.

Maybe even try making your own oreos but include healthier ingredients..

Big difference about wanting and needing things though.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have a little of what I am craving. Sometimes that means buying an individual serving for things that I may not choose to stop eating when I finish a single serving.