Thoughts on fasting?

Options
cmills003
cmills003 Posts: 21 Member
I fast once a week for half a day and feel like it gives my metabolism a boost.. What do you think? Good? Bad? Do u do it?

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I do IF and it doesn't do anything magical for your metabolism :p
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I fast for 17 hours a day.. Does not help me with weight loss or anything like that... It is just a feeding or eating schedule...
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I fast for 17 hours a day.. Does not help me with weight loss or anything like that... It is just a feeding or eating schedule...

Yep, I use 16:8IF as part of my maintenance plan and most days I fast for 16 hours, eat in an 8 hour window. But, it doesn't 'boost' my metabolism. It's just a tool I use to help keep my calories in check.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Doesn't everyone fast to some extent? Stop eating at some time in the evening and resume some time the next day?? For me, that window tends to be roughly 15 hours (dinner at 5pm, breakfast just before 8am). Doesn't do anything for metabolism. It just works with my schedule.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Ooooooooooo here we go

Yes, sometimes I fast from wine for a good 24 hours, then the next 24 hours it's all free calories and my metabolism loves it!
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    For most people, fasting is harmless and can make it easier to eat on a deficit without exceeding your alotted calories. I do it daily for about 17-19 hours, and find it a lot easier to eat my limited calories during that smaller window. I noticed after I got comfortable with the intermittent fasting routine, I feel a bit more energized than I used to when eating at "normal" times, and experience less fluctuations in energy during the day. Don't count on any "metabolism boost" or anything though - not eating for part of the day won't make you burn more calories than usual.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do it as eating 6 times a day helps my metabolism. However, I think people need to do what works best them. So if this works for you, go for it.
  • alekth
    alekth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Doesn't everyone fast to some extent? Stop eating at some time in the evening and resume some time the next day?? For me, that window tends to be roughly 15 hours (dinner at 5pm, breakfast just before 8am). Doesn't do anything for metabolism. It just works with my schedule.

Yep, breakfast is called breakfast for a reason.
  • jaga13
    Options
    alekth wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »

Yep, breakfast is called breakfast for a reason.

Exactly!! And if you like to eat dinner late, or have an evening snack, and don't eat again til noon the next day? That's nothing special. It's a normal night time break from eating.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Um, I might be crazy, but isn't that called sleeping? :neutral:
  • jaga13
    Options

agreed!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Good for me. I fast about 17-19 hours most days.

I used to periodically fast for a full day and night (about 32 hrs).
  • alejandro01970
    alejandro01970 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do IF 16/8 and love it. I lost about 15lbs keeping my calories around 2k a day and carbs about 150g a day. Most day not perfect especially on weekends. I workout 45ms a day in the afternoon after i break fast because i cant do it before. It works for me because is easier to keep my food in check and i dont get hungry as much. When i eat breakfast Im hungry every 2 hrs. Im 200lb about 19%body fat so im trying to lose bf and keep my muscle.
  • praksindiafit
    praksindiafit Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    ha ha i love this

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    cmills003 wrote: »
    I fast once a week for half a day and feel like it gives my metabolism a boost.. What do you think? Good? Bad? Do u do it?
    Fasting is one of many ways to maintain energy balance. It does not however boost the metabolism...
  • cmills003
    cmills003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    cmills003 wrote: »

I fast for religious reasons, not for losing weight. When I break my fast, I eat as many calories as I would have had I eaten all day.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    16:8. No boost to my metabolism, I am able to do fasted cardio with none of the rumored fat-burning boost. I do it because it helps control my appetite, and because I naturally do not want to eat in the morning.
  • cafwinjacks
    cafwinjacks Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have done IF for a couple of months. I fast between 14-16 hours a day. I find that although it may not work and miracles on my metabolism it helps me keep my calories in check for the day.
    I started because as a nurse I noticed that when I am on nights I lose weight. I eat more bad things on nights so I knew it wasn't calorie related. The only thing different was that I ate them over a shorter period. I didn't see a difference that much on the scales but did in my shape.