Logging Food in Advance - Who does it? How?

Options
PShizle
PShizle Posts: 48 Member
Hi MFP Team - does anyone log their food for the day and execute the plan? Or is that a little too organized and OCD? LOL. I try to plan ahead making sure I meet my calorie goals and my nutrient goals. If you log in advance, how do you go about the process? Tx

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I do on some days. I just prep the food before hand, by meal and weigh it out.
  • Fitfornowt
    Fitfornowt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Same for me; I re-plan every single day with some room for the unexpected! It's the only way I can stay on track and plan in some treats.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I too try to do that. I aim for a week in advance so I know what I need for groceries and can keep on track better. I have not done this week but will be tonight. It keeps me more on plan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    when I logged, that's exactly what I did. I don't find it OCD at all...I mean it's pretty normal to sit down and decide what you're going to eat for the week so that you can do the grocery shopping...from there, it was just a matter of deciding on what I was going to have on a particular day and logging it.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My lunch is usually dinner leftovers so I just use quick tools to carry it over. Breakfast is usually the same or I figure that out ahead of time. Dinner can be left up in the air. I wait until I see what I am in the mood for and how many calories/how much protein I need.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I do because of the accountability factor. Plus, if I'm debating on a morning cheat (usually donuts), I can factor that in and see how it will affect my whole day. If it's going to push me over, I can see that right away.

On the other side though, I'm not too crazy about keeping it accurate. If I do have a cheat, I just amend things and don't feel too badly about it as long as it fits into my goals.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat the same things every day so pre-logging isn't a big deal for me. Thank god for the Copy Yesterday button. :)

(I know...not a big help.)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I log most of my food in advance and leave 300ish calories in case something comes up.

Generally I make lunches for the week ahead of time. I log them first, then breakfast, and finally fill in snacks plus dinner to help meet my macros.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I log my day first thing in the morning during the week. I have planned my meals and cooked most of them ahead on Sunday and Monday. I tend to follow it more if I do. My weekends are not as planned though and I do those as I go.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do when I know exactly what I'm going to eat (usually Monday through Friday). If I'm unsure about how a future meal may effect my caloric intake, I might play with some submissions to help me decide on what I will eat.

On days like today (a very stressful day), pre-planning my meal is a big help. I can't think about anything else other than all the stuff that's going on.
  • mlavalley73
    mlavalley73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been doing pre-logging to help plan out my day. I won't do it every day but it does make it easier in my opinion.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I get up in the morning I like to get through 2 bottles of water before I eat breakfast. This takes about an hour, so the last 2 days I've put my entire day worth of food into MFP before breakfast. I find it easier than when I was on WW and tracked as I ate because I would either not be able to have dinner, or I'd eat too much for the day. By putting it all in first thing in the morning I can see where my calories are at, space them out throughout the day, and play around with it to make sure I'm not too far under or over. Then as I make my way through the day I can adjust things if needed.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    slong4u wrote: »
    Hi MFP Team - does anyone log their food for the day and execute the plan? Or is that a little too organized and OCD? LOL. I try to plan ahead making sure I meet my calorie goals and my nutrient goals. If you log in advance, how do you go about the process? Tx

heck yes at least a day in advance. There have actually been times where i've had my weak planned out. That typically only happens if I have an upcoming cheat day though. I've got my main food for tomorrow set, but still got calories to eat. Not sure what i want to eat or what I have to eat for that matter. Time for a run to the food store
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Logging certain things in advance has been a really great choice for me. I typically have one of about three things for breakfast, so the night before I just prep it (overnight oats) or don't (in which case I'll have the two other things I cook in the morning) and then when i'm hungry and not yet caffeinated I can make better choices. If I log as I go I tend to not have enough for dinner.
  • TeaToastParis
    TeaToastParis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always log 1-2 days in advance and like to try to balance out nutrients too. It also means I can plan the days so I'm varying the meals, and won't be bored of eating similar things too close together. I always add snacks to the plan, and leave calories spare. That way if I eat the snacks or not, I have calories left to treat myself with.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I do on days I know what I'm going to eat for the day. Most of my daytime eating is pretty similar... dinner and nighttime snack is where it gets a little murky, so logging up through lunch helps me see what I have available for dinner/snack.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I logged the night before for a few days last week. It was kind of fun in a weird ocd way haha it was super satisfying to go to bed knowing exactly what I'll eat tomorrow and that I will definitely be meeting my macros while at a deficit.

I pretty much just logged what I usually have as my main for breakfast (oat bran or eggs), for post workout (whey), for lunch (chicken), and for dinner (chicken again). Then I looked at my nutrition and macros to see what I was low in. If i was low in fiber I'd add raspberries for breakfast for example. If I was low on carbs I'd add quinoa or barely etc. Basically I'd play around with my side dishes until my macros were met perfectly.

I stopped doing it because the weekend happened and there's just no way I can pre plan that haha. I also didn't like that i couldn't see how much calories I had left throughout the day without doing some simple math. Deffs not a big deal, but yeah.

I'm good at sticking to my diet anyway, so don't feel like it's necessary for me to pre log. I'll probably do it the night before days I know I will be really busy though.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I do! Every night I pre-log the next day's meals. I tend to eat the same things, so it's easy to "copy meal" to the next day. I'm not perfect, so I edit as needed. I don't pre-log if I'm going somewhere on the weekend and can't know what will be served, but most of the week I do it.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I logged the night before for a few days last week. It was kind of fun in a weird ocd way haha it was super satisfying to go to bed knowing exactly what I'll eat tomorrow and that I will definitely be meeting my macros while at a deficit.

I pretty much just logged what I usually have as my main for breakfast (oat bran or eggs), for post workout (whey), for lunch (chicken), and for dinner (chicken again). Then I looked at my nutrition and macros to see what I was low in. If i was low in fiber I'd add raspberries for breakfast for example. If I was low on carbs I'd add quinoa or barely etc. Basically I'd play around with my side dishes until my macros were met perfectly.

I stopped doing it because the weekend happened and there's just no way I can pre plan that haha. I also didn't like that i couldn't see how many calories I had left throughout the day without doing some simple math. Deffs not a big deal, but yeah.

I'm good at sticking to my diet anyway, so don't feel like it's necessary for me to pre log. I'll probably do it the night before days I know I will be really busy though.