Goal Setting... time or weight intervals?

Options
redperphexion
redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
I'm 28 years old, and the last 3-4 years have been less active for me. My doctor would like me to weigh in at about 130 lb (roughly 35 lbs to go), and I'd like some suggestions on goal-setting.

I'm not sure if I should choose a date and figure how much I can do in that time-frame (weeks or months, etc.) to set my goal, or choose a weight/body milestone (lbs lost, inches at waist, time to run a distance, etc.) and figure out how long it should me to get there?

What intervals of time or body change worked well for you? (too long/too short, too easy/too hard) Should I start by focusing on activity or diet changes? or both right off the bat?

The question didn't come out quite the same in my head as in writing... I hope you understand what I'm asking! :)

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Do not over think this. You may have 35 pounds to go, but the changes you make along the way will be for a lifetime. 35 pounds / 2 pound weight loss a week is doable but do not do this too aggressively.

Next your fitness goals should be outside of weight loss unless you are only wanting to exercise to get you to the 35 pound goal. If you want to exercise and maintain activities as a part of your life from here on out, then a thought out laid out plan is in order.. To loose weight, exercise is not necessary, remember weight loss starts in the kitchen.

Remember this is a marathon not a sprint.. the key is to set mini goals on both weight loss and the exercise/fitness.. you can only apply yourself to any exercise up to your limitations in your current shape and will progress as you continue to be committed and actually put in the work.

Edited to add: learn how to work with food through weighing all of your food and logging it here in MFP.. this will be the most important thing you do...
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I would not give yourself a deadline to lose the weight. As long as the scale is moving down, it doesn't matter how long it takes. I lost 45 lbs, it took me about 8 months. Some weeks I lost 2 lbs, others it would take 3 weeks to drop .5 ( I always used my lowest recorded weight as my next goal)

I agree with gia...learn to accurately weigh and log your food. You will eventually find that daily calorie level in which you can lose weight yet not be super hungry.
  • AriaColl
    AriaColl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What was said above but since I'm also a newbie I suggest reading, reading and some more reading in the forum to get an impression what could work for you ;)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Don't put a deadline on weight loss. Instead, set your goals and rewards up similar to this:

10 pounds lost: Buy new workout gear.
    20 pounds lost: Spa day.
    30 pounds lost: Sign up for obstacle course race.

Anyway, you get the idea. Reward yourself for when you get to another milestone.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It was a process for me. I was a couch potato, got tired of seeing the scale go up and up and hired a personal trainer. I actually walked into the studio with Chinese food in my hand. after a few months of only working out 2 days a week, he encouraged me to get some cardio in, so I joined a couch to 5k near my work, it was fleet feet store. I had so much fun in that class and I'm competitive so it was perfect for me. I even got injured but I didn't want to lose the prize jacket for completing the course, so I joined the senior walkers class given by the same store, lol! after completing physical therapy, which is so similar to personal training by the way, I joined a women's only gym and did group fitness 3 times a week on my lunch hour. before I know it I was doing a variety of active things 6 days a week. The trainers can review your food log, so I'd export MFP into Word and bring it in. Just knowing that someone is looking at it made me do better. Yeah, some days I don't feel like working out, some days I don't feel like eating right, but you get back on MFP and you get back on it. Any time I feel like falling off the wagon, I read the community posts just like yours and come up with inspiration to stick to it.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks so far, everyone. This is starting to sounds more like a personal art than a strict science.