CARBS!

Options
hi everyone, I am attempting to build lean muscle. Unfortunately when I went to college, I gained the dreaded freshmen 15 in an instant and became super depressed due to my insecurity and body issues. I became obsessed with losing weight and am now 17 lbs underweight. I am 5'2.5" and 85lbs. Please do not post any negativity as I know that this is a problem and I am honestly try to fix it. I have seen a dr and all of that as well. I work out daily and do not intend on stopping anytime soon as my true goal is to build lean muscle. I do fitness classes mainly such as kettle bell, barre fusion, and functional fusion that all focus on building muscle. I always meet and often go over my fat and protein goals for the day but can never make my carb goal. I eat sweet potatoes, 100% whole wheat bread and crackers, brown rice &I plenty of fruits and veggies as well as fairy which contains lactose. I do not want to eat anything that isn't clean, which I consider to be containing any artificial sugars or refined carbs like white flour. Please help me gain weight!!! I'm tired of shopping in kids clothing stores and having a pancake profile (no curves). Thanks!

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You're either going to have to eat more bread and rice or get over this clean nonsense and eat some ice cream and other stuff to get your weight back up.

Group fitness classes are largely cardio based and not muscle building focused.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    first - what is lean muscle? Can you explain to me how it is different than muscle?

Secondly, to gain weight and add muscle (not lean muscle, as I don't know what that is) do the following:

Set your caloric intake to .5 pound per week gain.
    get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, starting strength etc.
    make sure that you are hitting micros and macros
    take starting measurements and then at least once a month take follow up measurements
    set your macors to about 1 grams of protein per pound of lean mass .4 gram of fat per pound of body weight, and fill the rest in with carbs.

to get more carbs fuel up on things like oatmeal, bagels, pasta, rice, ice cream, etc.

repeat until you hit your goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Agree with njd. A structured weight lifting program that is focused on compound lifts and is progressive in nature is ideal to for gaining new muscle (and since you are a women it wont be hulk like muscles).

Second, when trying to gain muscle you want to ensure you get rest as that is where your muscles grow. So if you workout every day might be ok, you dont want to blast the same groups daily. So if you feel the urge, maybe have a few light days.

Third, learn how to stop categorizing foods as good or bad, clean or unclean because when you are bulking, calories and especially carbs make the difference. From my understanding its ideal to replish glycogen fairly quickly post workout to allow for the majority of amino acids (found in protein) to rebuild muscle fibers. So getting foods that are high in dextrose (like gummu bears) can be ideal.

And last? Read the stickies at the top. They are very good.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    didn't read OP

I'm here for the carbs
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I do not want to eat anything that isn't clean, which I consider to be containing any artificial sugars or refined carbs like white flour.
    It sounds like you've recognized possibly have anorexia nervosa, and you're going to just graduate to orthorexia.
    Do you have any reason to avoid these things as guidance from a medical professional?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    didn't read OP

I'm here for the carbs
    Then why even bother posted if you arent going to provide any help.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    didn't read OP

I'm here for the carbs
    Then why even bother posted if you arent going to provide any help.

hey that's not very nice

the thread title is CARBS! and I was excited to see it

let's see

eat more food, OP
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, what are your current calorie and macro targets? I'm wondering whether you really do need a ton more carbs, or if you can put some more into protein/fat so you're hitting your calorie target. If you're not hitting your calories, nothing else is going to matter. You won't gain weight if you don't hit your calories, so you need to do whatever you can do to hit that target, no matter what.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    OP, what are your current calorie and macro targets? I'm wondering whether you really do need a ton more carbs, or if you can put some more into protein/fat so you're hitting your calorie target. If you're not hitting your calories, nothing else is going to matter. You won't gain weight if you don't hit your calories, so you need to do whatever you can do to hit that target, no matter what.

if OP wants to bulk and gain muscle then her carb intake is going to need to be higher than protein and fats….assuming, that is what OP wants to do.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if OP wants to bulk and gain muscle then her carb intake is going to need to be higher than protein and fats….assuming, that is what OP wants to do.
    I agree, but if she's going off the standard MFP recommendations (aren't they like 50c/30f/20p or something?), she may be able to readjust her macros to make them easier for her to hit. In any event, macros aren't going to matter if she can't hit her calories.

• ndj1979
    Options

I agree, but if she's going off the standard MFP recommendations (aren't they like 50c/30f/20p or something?), she may be able to readjust her macros to make them easier for her to hit. In any event, macros aren't going to matter if she can't hit her calories.

not sure what the standard setting is…it has been about three years since I had it ..LOL

I get what you are saying though.
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2015
    Options

not sure what the standard setting is…it has been about three years since I had it ..LOL

Interesting enough the mfp settings are based on USDA recommendations which might actually work. IIRC its 50% carbs, 30% fats and 20% protein.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Interesting enough the mfp settings are based on FDA recommendations which might actually work. IIRC its 50% carbs, 30% fats and 20% protein.

I thought the FDA didn't have percentages - like they put protein at just a straight 50 grams across the board.
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Interesting enough the mfp settings are based on FDA recommendations which might actually work. IIRC its 50% carbs, 30% fats and 20% protein.

I thought the FDA didn't have percentages - like they put protein at just a straight 50 grams across the board.

I realized i did a typo. I believes its usda that does the rda standards.

Edit: looking at the mfp article it just references US rda standards
  • buffalobill41
    buffalobill41 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ice cream and peanut butter
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    first - what is lean muscle? Can you explain to me how it is different than muscle?

Sheesh, you never heard of fatty muscle?!? /s

OP, please stop the clean eating non-sense. It is pure broscience. You need carbs to put on muscle. Carbs are muscle-sparing and keep your body from using muscle for calories. Carbs fuel better workouts. Carbs keep your mood in a happy place. Eat some carbs, dangit! The only thing that matters is calories in vs. calories out.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »

Sheesh, you never heard of fatty muscle?!? /s

OP, please stop the clean eating non-sense. It is pure broscience. You need carbs to put on muscle. Carbs are muscle-sparing and keep your body from using muscle for calories. Carbs fuel better workouts. Carbs keep your mood in a happy place. Eat some carbs, dangit! The only thing that matters is calories in vs. calories out.

This. Combined with being underweight, it seems like you may not have the healthiest relationship with food. Food isn't good or bad, it's just food. Foods with refined flour or sugar can be incorporated into a healthy overall diet by using moderation and getting the majority of your calories from nutrient dense food. Fill in with "junk" (however you choose to define that). Junk food isn't necessary, but if you're having problems hitting your macro and calorie goals, it might be worth adding some of them back into your diet.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

They base everything on a 2000 calorie diet though, right?. So do some division and you get the percentage they recommend. So they don't explicitly recommend percentages, but yeah...
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Regarding percentages, and sorry if this is off topic, but is there added value to setting macros as a percentage of calorie target? I have typically set protein and fat based on body weight, and let the rest fall to carbs to meet calorie target.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Regarding percentages, and sorry if this is off topic, but is there added value to setting macros as a percentage of calorie target? I have typically set protein and fat based on body weight, and let the rest fall to carbs to meet calorie target.

the advantage is that it's free, and you have to pay for MFP Premium to set goals in grams :trollface: