_incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I call my selfie stick, friends...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Gabrielm80 wrote: »
    Haven't used one, but who cares if someone does. Geez some people like to judge somebody for something small like this. I would witness someone using a selfie stick than watching someone putting someone down. I may buy a selfie stick just because of this post.

I posted this, originally, kind of tongue-in-cheek. I understand the advantages to the selfie stick. Being able to take pics without the help of strangers. The point I was trying to address was that the gal I saw in Cabo spent her whole day taking selfies. There was beauty and adventure all around her, but she missed it. My thought is to just look up once in a while and enjoy life, whether it's from your cell phone, tablet or lap top.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Haven't used one, but who cares if someone does. Geez some people like to judge somebody for something small like this. I would witness someone using a selfie stick than watching someone putting someone down. I may buy a selfie stick just because of this post.

I posted this, originally, kind of tongue-in-cheek. I understand the advantages to the selfie stick. Being able to take pics without the help of strangers. The point I was trying to address was that the gal I saw in Cabo spent her whole day taking selfies. There was beauty and adventure all around her, but she missed it. My thought is to just look up once in a while and enjoy life, whether it's from your cell phone, tablet or lap top.

chuck-norris-meme.jpg
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    yfar76h5tnh7.jpg

ding ding ding winner !!!1111

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have one. I hike very often by myself. I like to have a photo of myself at a gorgeous summit or a lovely waterfall. It's just a keepsake/memento for myself. If it's narcissistic... then oh, well! I don't see it really as any different than having someone take a photo of you. It's just a way to take a photo when there's no one else around to snap one.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    nbc9dd5kytp5.png

I'm trying to think if she's taking a picture of her face or her vagina.

I cannot even imagine the person who could take this kind of pic in a public place.
    Like... seriously? SOMEONE IS ALWAYS WATCHING YOU!

• cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I did see a few parents using them to record graduation, which was pretty brilliant! In situations where most of the experience would be dominated by the images of the back of strangers heads, this is a great way to capture the action.
    That being said, I do not own one nor do I desire to own one.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    They should be treated like weiners and religion. No one wants either to be whipped out around them and waved in their faces without testing the waters first. Manners and conscientiousness should take precedent.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    shamcd wrote: »
    They should be treated like weiners and religion. No one wants either to be whipped out around them and waved in their faces without testing the waters first. Manners and conscientiousness should take precedent.

Nice! That's going to be the name of my next band. Wieners and Religion.

Either one will have your female fans on their knees.

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well if I can find someone at a Raiders game(and Raiders fans are shady a f**k) and also some random strangers from South Africa at Mardi Gras and randos from Ireland in Vegas to take pics, I'm sure you can find some innocuous mom&dad at Disneyland or whatever

Nvmd, not worth the warning.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Well if I can find someone at a Raiders game(and Raiders fans are shady a f**k) and also some random strangers from South Africa at Mardi Gras and randos from Ireland in Vegas to take pics, I'm sure you can find some innocuous mom&dad at Disneyland or whatever

Yeah, still not going to hand over my phone or dSLR camera to a stranger.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

Your argument while vacationing with someone obsessed makes sense, the more direct put downs by others about pure self centeredness and disgust was my main objection.

And I see the irony of me complaining about complaining. Now If you don't mind I must ride off on my high horse
    high-horse.jpg
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    selfiesticks_3219367b.jpg
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    shamcd wrote: »

Nice! That's going to be the name of my next band. Wieners and Religion.

Music gold!
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    RunTimer wrote: »
    selfiesticks_3219367b.jpg

Love this so much!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    amg10299 wrote: »
    As a proud owner of a selfie stick I am saddened by the arrogance, superiority, and insensitivity on this post. (Wishing someone would get hit with lightning because they want to take a picture of themselves is truly shameful.) They're convenient. You can fit more people in your picture without having to either trust a stranger with a very expensive piece of technology or exclude one of your party. What is the problem with that? If people are willing to use one in public I applaud them for not caring about how people like the ones on the post will think they look. A selfie stick is essentially a handheld tripod and can be used for either direction- I personally find mind quite handy for over the crowd shots. And so what if I am in the picture? I was there wasn't I? I cannot fathom how capturing the true situation is shallow or selfish. You'll excuse me if I continue to do so.
    Methinks you might need to pull your selfie stick out into the sunshine. You sound unreasonably angry and uncomfortable.

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    ironic thread is ironic.