Achilles Tendonitis

Options
1shauna1
1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
So I have this in my left ankle. I've been going to physiotherapy for a while now and it's not really helping. I have anti-inflammatories and prescription cream for it, and these don't really help either. Is there any other type of treatment that can help me? I can do stretching, etc. at home but I'm wondering if there is anything else that will help?

Replies

• DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You beat me to it! Just over the last week or so (I would have just finished week 3 of C25K) my achilles tendon has gotten very inflamed and painful right at the insertion. I was going to write a post with the exact same title, but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

I'm pretty sure mine is secondary to an injury (hit by car, shattered right tib-fib, blah blah blah) three years ago that left my already tight calf muscle and ankle with even less mobility. I stretch religiously (or did, until it started hurting too much) but there's only so far it can go.

I did some research, and it seems like heel elevation is the key. I ordered some heel supports from footsmart.com and figured I'd wear them running and probably in my work boots as well. Meanwhile, until they arrive, I'm trying to rest it, or at least refrain from trying to run on it. I'll let you know how that works out.

Other than that, I'm eager to see what anyone with more experience and/or knowledge has to say.
  • Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Xo_c_e_b_xo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had this , I found using the cross trainer instead of the running machine really helped
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    See a different therapist
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    How long is "a while?" Depending on how serious it is, it can take a while to fully heal and recover.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What are you doing in PT? I used eccentric heel drops, daily, along with NO running to get rid of the first twinges of Achilles pain. As I understand it, the longer it goes on before you tackle it, the longer it takes to go away.

http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/eccentric-calf-strengthening-for-achilles-tendinopathy-five-years-lat

That article explains eccentric heel drops, but also suggests that some people simply don't respond to them. The time frame of 12 weeks is quite long, though. How long have you been in PT? I don't know anything about the surgery mentioned, though. Sorry!

What shoes are you wearing? Shoes with a smaller heel-toe drop (flatter shoes) will put a lot more pressure on your Achilles and calves. You can try heel inserts in the shoes you have, or try shoes with a larger heel-toe drop. (Like for running shoes, an example of zero-drop would be anything Altra, low-drop the Saucony Kinvara. Something like the Brooks Adrenaline or Ghost, or Asics GT-2000, have a higher heel-toe drop.)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    1shauna1 wrote: »
    So I have this in my left ankle.

Just the left ankle? That's unusual. What does your physio think it's from?

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's tendinosis, not tendonitis, and people need to stop calling it that, because it's connected with a totally wrong way of seeing things and inappropriate treatments (like anti-inflammatories and cortisone injections).

Current treatments: http://www.tendinosis.org/current.shtml (eccentric exercises are typically recommended)

You could look into prolotherapy; there are also some trials on platelet-rich plasma therapy for achilles tendinosis specifically.
  • Hazmat531
    Hazmat531 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So I have this in my left ankle. I've been going to physiotherapy for a while now and it's not really helping. I have anti-inflammatories and prescription cream for it, and these don't really help either. Is there any other type of treatment that can help me? I can do stretching, etc. at home but I'm wondering if there is anything else that will help?

• Hazmat531
    Hazmat531 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it is achilles tendinitis and not the bursa that is filled with fluid and causing the pain? I have the same issue, thought I could stretch and cream it out but finally saw my Sports Dr and he said it was the bursa that is filled with fluid (inflammation) and best way is to drain and hit with cortisone steroid. Not my first choice but need to get better to return to competition form.
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Try reverse calf raises (toe taps). If someone is always running and their calves are continuously flexed and in the shortened position, that means the opposing muscle (tibialis anterior) could be constantly relaxed and weak. Strengthen the tibialis anterior and see if that helps.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    It's tendinosis, not tendonitis, and people need to stop calling it that, because it's connected with a totally wrong way of seeing things and inappropriate treatments (like anti-inflammatories and cortisone injections).

Current treatments: http://www.tendinosis.org/current.shtml (eccentric exercises are typically recommended)

You could look into prolotherapy; there are also some trials on platelet-rich plasma therapy for achilles tendinosis specifically.

also tendonitis does exist but is really rare compared to tendinosis.
  • 1shauna1
    Options
    I'm going by what my doctor diagnosed it as. Also, similar to what I found online (painful Achilles going up the back of the leg, really tight almost hard, plus I have a raised bump of tissue in the middle on the back of my ankle.). So, I may be using the wrong term, forgive me.

As for treatment, at physio they do massage, ultrasound and electronic stimulation. I have stretches for home, as well as icing it. I noticed the bump in January but I've been having the pain since at least the fall, maybe as long ago as end of last summer. And yes, I've been told to not wear flats or heels, but shoes with a bit of a heel/platform. That does seem to help.

And yes, only on the left; I don't know why. I was really quite a couch potato at that point, and don't have any injuries that I can remember. I really only started working out a lot in April of this year. I'm not a runner, more classes and weights.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if there is anything else that will help?

What usually works is a night splint while sleeping to lengthen the Achilles tendon, and eccentric calf exercises to strengthen them.

Once you're pain-free, wean yourself off shoes with a raised heel, since they are the usual cause of Achillles problems, since the toe-down position of heeled shoes compresses the Achilles.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with Achilles tendon problems several times. It seems to be the weak spot on my body...just like Achilles himself. LOL!

It took months for mine to really heal. I had to completely stop running. If I tried to run too soon, I would reinjure it and it would take even longer to heal. Also, you already know about not wearing flat shoes. Elevating the heels really does help. As did icing it when it first acted up. Calf raises were very helpful to keep the problem from coming back.
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem ..i do heel drops ,elevate my foot as much as i can and during sleep, soak in warm water and epsom salt before working out and ice after workout..
  • 1shauna1
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks, all. I'll look into more things I can do at home.

EDIT- this is a good description of the difference between tendonitis and tendinosis:
    http://www.innerbody.com/diseases-conditions/tendinitis-and-tendinosis